It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 11:12 AM   #1

jimjend HB User
Question Is this normal? / First Dr's Appt.

Hi all, I am 5 weeks (my first - yeah!) and my whole abdomen feels crampy and achey, almost like pms cramps. Is this normal? Also, I've had dreams that I started bleeding and one where I had siamese twins. Does everyone worry about this kind of stuff?
My current gyn doesn't deliver babies, so I've been looking for an ob. None wants to see me until I'm anywhere from 7 to 9 weeks. I am so frustrated by this. I am reading everything I can, but not sure about what is normal or not normal, what to eat, not eat, what kind of vitamins I should take (are the pre-natal vitamins all the same?) Also, my last pap showed mild dysplasia and I was scheduled for a colpo & biopsy (I also had a Leep done 8 months ago). So I would really like to see a dr asap to be reassured that I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, that the colpo, etc can wait until after the baby, etc. Have any of you found that the dr's office didn't want to see you right away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Thumbs up

Hello! I am sorry that you are going through such a trying time right now, I am almost 12 weeks and I am just now haveing my first ob appointment due to the doctors refuseing to see me until I was at least 10 weeks along. Yes the cramping can be a normal part of pregnancy as long as they are not severe and accomanied by bleeding. It is due to your uterus and ligaments strecthing. Eat plenty of fruits, veggies and dairy most of all plenty of fluids eat healthy meats and try to stay away from foods that make you feel ill and fast greasy foods are not the best for you either they are emptied calories for you and baby. Prenatals are very important and folic acid. I donot know if store bought prenatals are the same or not but i think that they are. As far as them doing anything to your cervix I can not say the safety of any procedure during pregnancy, I do know that some procedures can cause your cervix to bleed and weaken which can cause you to miscarry. Good Luck to you honey I wish you all the happiness and luck in the world.

------------------
connie folger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Thumbs up

Hello! I am sorry that you are going through such a trying time right now, I am almost 12 weeks and I am just now haveing my first ob appointment due to the doctors refuseing to see me until I was at least 10 weeks along. Yes the cramping can be a normal part of pregnancy as long as they are not severe and accomanied by bleeding. It is due to your uterus and ligaments strecthing. Eat plenty of fruits, veggies and dairy most of all plenty of fluids eat healthy meats and try to stay away from foods that make you feel ill and fast greasy foods are not the best for you either they are emptied calories for you and baby. Prenatals are very important and folic acid. I donot know if store bought prenatals are the same or not but i think that they are. As far as them doing anything to your cervix I can not say the safety of any procedure during pregnancy, I do know that some procedures can cause your cervix to bleed and weaken which can cause you to miscarry. Good Luck to you honey I wish you all the happiness and luck in the world.

------------------
connie folger

Old 09-03-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Hello! yes this cramping and achey feeling can be due to your round ligaments strecthing and your uterus expanding, as long as the cramping is not constant and severe and accompanied by bleeding you should be ok. Foods that are good for you to eat are plenty of friuts, veggies, dairy products, baked meats or grilled. Try to stay away from sweets and greasy foods all they do is put extra weight on you and they are empty calories for baby. Drink lots of fluids also very important right now. I donot understand why your ob is waiting so long to see you especially when there is cause for concern in the pregnancy, I would find a different doctor that will see you asap. Your prenatals and folic acid are very impotant at this stage of your pregnancy, I belive the store bought kind are the same but I am not 100% sure on that. When pregnant any type of medical procedure done to a womans cervix has risk of miscarriage due to possiably weakening the cervix and causeing it to bleed, so I would be a liitle concerned if they wanted to do a procedure like that on me, but ask your doctor about the safety and risk with the type of procedure that they have to do. Ok I hope that everthing works out for you and I wish you the best of luck. Take care

------------------
connie folger

Old 09-03-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Hello! yes this cramping and achey feeling can be due to your round ligaments strecthing and your uterus expanding, as long as the cramping is not constant and severe and accompanied by bleeding you should be ok. Foods that are good for you to eat are plenty of friuts, veggies, dairy products, baked meats or grilled. Try to stay away from sweets and greasy foods all they do is put extra weight on you and they are empty calories for baby. Drink lots of fluids also very important right now. I donot understand why your ob is waiting so long to see you especially when there is cause for concern in the pregnancy, I would find a different doctor that will see you asap. Your prenatals and folic acid are very impotant at this stage of your pregnancy, I belive the store bought kind are the same but I am not 100% sure on that. When pregnant any type of medical procedure done to a womans cervix has risk of miscarriage due to possiably weakening the cervix and causeing it to bleed, so I would be a liitle concerned if they wanted to do a procedure like that on me, but ask your doctor about the safety and risk with the type of procedure that they have to do. Ok I hope that everthing works out for you and I wish you the best of luck. Take care

------------------
connie folger

Old 09-03-2003, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
I am in a similar situation with the mild dysplasia/recent LEEP. I am now 19 weeks and all's good. I am going to get a copo in oct...my dr assured me it's fine. The good news is, sometimes a vaginal birth can correct mild dysplasia. Worst case scenario, your cervix has been weakened by the leep and you will need a cerceledge(they put a stitch in your cervix) This isn't always the case(it wasn't with me). Your ob will probably monitor your cervix to see how it's doing. The baby doesn't get big enough for it to be a problem for a few months. You will probably be fine for a few weeks while you look for a dr. I think right now folic acid is the most important prenatal....sometimes the iron in a full prenatal multi-vitamin can add to your m/s if you have it. If so, make sure you take folic acid. 100mg a day. Good luck!!! have a happy and healthy 9 months!!!

------------------
Christine,
due with #1 Jan 22, 2004
due with #1 Feb 3, 2004 It's a Boy!!!

Old 09-03-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefortoday HB User
Yes, cramps are normal in early pregnancy . . . I had them with both of my babies. Wierd dreams are too. I always dreamt I was bleeding or my baby was born as an animal, etc. Also, my OB/GYN doesn't see patients until they are 10 weeks. Hang in there!

Old 09-04-2003, 08:50 AM   #8

jimjend HB User
Thanks so much, you've all helped to put my mind at ease a bit. I am so glad that I can learn from all of your experiences. I am usually not this nervous about things, but I guess it's because I really want this baby and am so happy & excited. Maybe I'm practicing for being an over-bearing, over-protective mother? Ha ha?

Closed Thread