It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 09:43 AM   #1

taharra HB User
Post waking baby to eat every 2 hours???

I was just wondering what everyone thought about waking newborns every 2 hours during the night to feed them? Some doctors say that they will wake up when they are hungry and NOT to wake them, and some say that you should feed them every 2 hours even if you have to wake them up. I would really prefer to not get up every 2 hours if at all possible. Thoughts? Experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 09:50 AM   #2

tryinfor#2 HB User
In the hospital we did wake our baby every 2 hours but once we got home and the baby would sleep, let them sleep. WE had nurses in the hospital also giving differing opinions. The olser nurses with kids were saying let them sleep while the younger ones w/o kids would say wake them up. I would say let them sleep as long as they are gaining wt and eating okay. I found they would wake up every few hrs anyways.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #3

taharra HB User
When I had my boys, the nurses made me wake them up every 2 hours, and then I just kept doing it when we got home and for MONTHS and MONTHS they woke up every 2 hours. I think this time, I will let them sleep!!!

Old 09-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #4

Tiff Tiff HB User
I think there would only be a problem if you don't think they are getting enough to eat! you will know... if they are gaining weight appropatly then i would let them sleep

Old 09-04-2003, 11:05 AM   #5

melstone HB User
The one thing I have learned with my daughter is "Never wake a sleeping baby!" If a baby is hungry they will let you know and wake up for a feeding. Unless the baby is not gaining weight or there is other medical reasons for doing so there is no way in H@#$ I am waking my baby every two hours to eat. Just do what works for you and your baby. After about a week you can kinda sense what the schedule is going to be like as far as feedings go.

------------------
Melissa

Old 09-04-2003, 11:07 AM   #6

taharra HB User
Did they make you wake the baby to feed in the hospital?

Old 09-04-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User

The only time I heard of this was with my neice, she was 4 or 5 weeks early and they told my sister to wake her up and feed her every two hours. This only lasted till she made the proper weight gain.

I ***NEVER*** woke my own children, they always cried when they were hungry.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:56 PM   #8

taharra HB User
This time around, while I'm in the hospital, if the nurses try to get us to wake up to feed I just might tell them to kiss my gigantic cottage cheese behind!! Sorry, tmi!

Closed Thread