It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User
Red face No HB at 5w5d

I had a vaginal ultrasound at 5 weeks, 5 days. We saw a gestational sac and yolk sac. No heartbeat. I know many women who saw a heartbeat even earlier than this. Is it too early, or am I doomed to miscarry again? Anyone have an U/S at 5w5d? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
I would say that chances of seeing a heartbeat this early on are small. Although I can't ease your mind about this because I've never had a transvaginal ultrasound, I just wanted to send hugs your way and let you know that I hope all goes well for you!! The ladies here are wonderfull and they'll be able to give you more in depth info on this topic!!

Angela

------------------
EDD with baby #1 for hubby and I September 21st, 2003! It's A BOY!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
I agree with babygrant, it may be too early to see. My doctor couldn't hear the heartbeat with a doppler at 11 weeks, so I know how you feel. I've seen my baby three times and I still think it's not there sometimes.
due with #1 Feb 3, 2004 It's a Boy!!!

Old 09-03-2003, 06:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
I did some reasearch for you. This is what I found.

A normal intrauterine pregnancy may be demonstrated by abdominal "pulse echo sonograpy" after only four to five weeks since the last menstrual period (LMP) -- about the same time that most urine tests turn positive. After six weeks, the small white gestational ring is so characteristic that failure to identify it raises doubts about the pregnancy. By careful scanning, distinct echoes from the embryonic poles can be demonstrated within the gestational ring by seven weeks after the last period. Fetal heart must be observed by the eighth week, or more tests will be performed.

Hope this helped you a little bit!!

Angela

------------------
EDD with baby #1 for hubby and I September 21st, 2003! It's A BOY!

Old 09-03-2003, 07:47 PM   #5

tazzeroo HB User
Don't worry - my doc office told me that you usually can't detect it until 6.5 wks - sometimes as early as 6 wks but hardly ever before then.

I thinnk you are just fine - sounds like you saw exactly what you should be seeing about this time. I am 6 wks and ?? days (somewhere between 0-2) and I go for my first u/s tomorrow.

Taz

Old 09-04-2003, 05:49 AM   #6
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User
Thanks everyone, so much. I probably would not have been worried, but on other pregnancy forums and also from friends I see other posts where women are seeing the heartbeat as early as 5 weeks and 1 day! Ugh!

Old 09-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
This has happened 2 me twice - like u i worried 2. i went back a few days later and hey presto the begginings of a heart beat - then a few more days a proper heart beat - i had normal babies both times - one of which is 6 wks old lying on my lap - hence all lower case typing - i am doing it one handed. take encouragement from the fact that it was not an empty sac but had the yolk inside - they can often see a halo around the outside indicating a blood supply all this occurs prior to the fetal pole pulse and heartbeat. oh just to intrigue you further my daughters heart was picked up at 6 weeks+, my sons at 5 weeks, my new baby son not until 6weeks +6 days!! good luck - i am sure it'll b fine. xxxxx

Closed Thread