It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 05:37 PM   #1

Zoe00 HB User
Exclamation Taking St. John's Wort while pregnant.. is it safe?

My soon to be sister in law was/is pregnant *possibility of twins and she thinks she may have lost one*.... was given some advice that because she couldnt take her medication for her back pain due to her being pregnant, became depressed because it helped with that also... anyhow! WAS TOLD to take St. Johns wort and suddenly a few days, or a week afterward miscarried... I have searched the net but to no avail... does anyone know anything about that stuff and if it is safe to take while you are pregnant?? i need to tell her to stop taking it but I want to make sure I have a foundation to stand on when I tell her that her mother in law gave her bad advice... please reply soon!

------------------
ACR

Old 09-06-2003, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
I searched at google under 'st. john's wort and pregnancy'.....It has a lot of info. From the little I read I would never take it when pg!! It causes increased uterine muscle tone (contractions), it interferes with anesthesia during childbirth, and it inhibits the body's ability to absorb iron. Iron is very important to mother and child during pregnancy. There are plenty of other, safe drugs your sister in law can take for depression during pregnacy. She is also playing russian roulette as to whether or not her baby/babies will have birth defects. Ask her if it is worth the risk?
due with #1 Feb 3, 2004 It's a Boy!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #3

Zoe00 HB User
Red face

Thank you very much for your reply, I will let her know immediatly about this information. THank you!!

------------------
ACR

Closed Thread