It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 01:07 PM   #1

taharra HB User
Smile Early ultrasound, what will we see?

Hi prego ladies! My first appt is next week and I will be 8.5 weeks along. Because of my miscarriage last year, I am going to try to get my dr. to do a vaginal ultrasound. I'm just wondering what we will be able to see at 8.5 weeks. I think we will see a heartbeat but will we see anything resembling a baby or is it too early?

Old 09-02-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

HEAVEN-SENT HB User
I had my first u/s at 8.5 weeks too, and all I could really see was a little blob with a heartbeat flickering away. It was still amazing though!!!

You may be able to see more, but that was my experience.

------------------
EDD 10/3/03
Jacob or Alexis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran

kmc235 HB User
You will definitely see the baby, but it won't look like a baby, more like a peanut. You'll see the heart beating away and the baby might be moving around a bit. We could also make out the eyes and little arm buds. That was my experience at 9 weeks.

------------------
EDD 10/1/03
Our first baby
IT'S A BOY!

[This message has been edited by kmc235 (edited 09-02-2003).]

Old 09-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #4

taharra HB User
No matter what we see, we will be absolutely thrilled, I just wanted to get some sort of idea of how much we could see. I didn't want to go in expecting to see fingers and toes and then be upset that we couldn't find any. Thanks for your replies!

Old 09-02-2003, 02:03 PM   #5
Inactive

Jera HB User
I am also going for an ultrasound next week (Sept. 9) and will be 6.5 weeks by then. I am having an early one to rule out ectopic, but am worried that it might be too early to see anything. will there be a heartbeat this early? Will anything be visible at all?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jera

Old 09-02-2003, 06:07 PM   #6

slc HB User
Hi,,I had an U/S at 9 weeks and we saw what looked like a Gummy Bear floating! The heart was beating nicely and the tech. took several pictures. I look at my picture every day. I have a 13 week appt. next week and am hoping to hear the heartbeat! Good luck at your appt.!
Baby #1 EDD 3/16/04

Old 09-02-2003, 06:34 PM   #7
(female)

curriermom HB User
ohmigosh slc - a gummy bear floating, that was too cute and too true! I also had an u/s at 8 wks and it did look like that, w/a beating heart!!

good luck taharra, let us know how it goes!!!

------------------
EDD 4/9/04
Juliana or Cole
DS Ben 8yo

Old 09-03-2003, 07:40 AM   #8

TruBoo4Life HB User
My first U/S was at 6.5 weeks.. all they could see was the sac.. then a week later went back and had a vaginal and I about started crying.. I saw the sac.. and this little blob with a fast little heartbeat.. that made me feel so much better.. So you will definitely see the heartbeat and the sac.. Good Luck and enjoy.. I had them print the u/s for me.. you should ask...!!
Jeremiah-22
IT'S A GIRL- Symone Lynn
EDD 3-24-03 to 4-1-03

Old 09-03-2003, 08:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

HEAVEN-SENT HB User
SLC - is this your first baby?

If it is, you will be AMAZED at how much your baby has grown since your last u/s. I had one at 8.5 weeks and all I could see was a little blob, then at 12.5 weeks I had another u/s and you could clearly see a baby!! It kept grabbing its feet and doing somersaults...it was bee-boppin' all over the place in there!

I was amazed at how much had changed in just 4 short weeks! Have fun at your appt. next week!!

------------------
EDD 10/3/03
Jacob or Alexis

Old 09-03-2003, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

l8again HB User
I had my u/s last Wednesday. I was 6 weeks 3 days pg. First we saw a black oval. Then the tech zoomed in and we say the yolk sac. Finally we saw what looked like a tadpole with a heart beat. I was so excited. I started to cry. I don't think anyone could wipe the smile off of my face

------------------
L8 (Becky)
**1st child due April 18, 2004 (approx)**
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates ... it's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your behind tomorrow. "

Old 09-03-2003, 10:18 AM   #11
Inactive

saraanne HB User
Awwe yes. I saw my first ultrasound at 7 weeks and my little one had a very fast heartbeat. I have the picture up on my fridge...I look at it everyday!

I have had a miscarriage 2 years ago, so when I saw this little one's heartbeat, I cried and cried! The doctor laughed at me. It was a great day for me!

A couple of weeks later I went in again for cramping, and we did another ultrasound (vaginal) and this baby was wiggling around! It was AMAZING!

Let us know how yours goes.

3rd child
EDD 02-25-04

Old 09-03-2003, 10:23 AM   #12

taharra HB User
Thanks for all the responses. It's nice to know what to expect! I'm a little afraid that the dr. won't do an ultrasound, but maybe we can talk her into it if she understands how worried we are about the last miscarriage. Do they normally just do ultrasounds for high risk pregnancies?

Old 09-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #13
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Good Luck at your doc's appointment - i am sure that if you explain your natural concerns about your previous m/c etc she/he will oblige. Hey you can sometimes get it through the abdomen provided you have drank a bucket load of water to push your womb up a bit. Good Luck - I loved the gummy bear description - that is absolutely what it looks like!! crossed with a peanut - but you will just love it to absolute bits. I think that it will help allay your worries too - I have had 3 m/c myself and i also have 3 babes - the youngest is William who is just 6 weeks old today!! so chin up.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #14

jparks HB User
Hi... I had 2 positive HPT's last wednesday, so I went to the Dr. today for pap and he did a vaginal ultrasound. According to him he said I was 6 weeks and 3 days, but the only thing visible on the U/S was the gestational sac. He said maybe I had my date of my last period wrong and was not as far along as I thought, but I am positive of the the first day of my last cycle. Is this normal ??? I am worried TOO DEATH!!!!!

Old 09-09-2003, 06:47 AM   #15

jimjend HB User
How exciting! I would never have considered myself a "maternal" type of person before, but since I got the big +, it's all I think about! I'm getting weepy and teary just reading about all of you seeing your little gummy bear peanuts for the first time and am so excited and anxious for my turn. My brother & sister-in-law are pregnant and I have their baby's u/s on my fridge, I can't wait to put my baby's u/s picture next to it!
Jsparks, Congratulations to you! I'm pretty sure I've read other posts where some women couldn't see a baby or very much at an early u/s. I don't know that much about it - just learning stuff right now too. Hopefully someone that knows will answer. Maybe you should post a new thread with your question so it doesn't get lost in this one?

[This message has been edited by jimjend (edited 09-09-2003).]

Closed Thread