It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
Veteran

chrislove HB User
Post baby with colic

Can anyone tell me how to cure colic ? My son Jack who is 6 1/2 weeks old has had it now for the last 3 weeks. I have been sick and my wife is totally stressed out and exhausted. We've tried everything we can find online and that the doc suggests but to no avail. We were told that as long as he's growing, eating, sleeping (occasionally) and wetting that we will just have to ride it out. Can anyone offer us some suggestions or share your personal experience ?? Please tell me this won't last forever and he won't be traumatized. T.I.A. Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 12:03 PM   #2

tryinfor#2 HB User
HI,

Congrats on the new baby. My daughter never had colic, but one of my friends baby had it for a couple months and they found that putting a little pressure on their stomach helped the baby. Try different holding positions to see how the baby reacts. Continues to cry, probably not a good thing, if it calms them down then it is worth a try. Also
is your wife nursing?? If yes she could be eating something that is upsetting babies tummy. Bananas, chocolate that gave our baby gas. Good Luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran

LadyLight HB User
Hi there, I can't speak from experience yet (we're due this Monday 9/8 with a c-section) but I can tell you what my mom and Gram used on me when I was little. I was over 6 weeks early and had colic bad. They would warm towels in dryer (not hot) and wrap me in them and walk or rock me and that seemed to help I guess. I'm sure you've done all the other things recommended out there. Let me know if you find what works, we may need it in a few weeks LOL!!!

L & J (baby girl due 9/8)

Old 09-05-2003, 12:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Kr31 HB User
Wink

Hi Chris,

Congrats on baby Jack!

I was a colicky baby & my folks said the only thing that worked was strapping me in the car-seat and driving me around until I calmed down or fell asleep.

Maybe you can give this a shot.

Good luck!
Krissy

Old 09-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User
White Noise! (vacuum, hair dryer). Sounds crazy, but it works. My daughter had the worst colic ever, I was so stressed out. Magically it ended at 3 months. Until the 3 month mark, we burned out a few hair dryers! We eventually bought a white noise CD. Try running the vacuum or hair dryer and see what happens. Please let us know if it helped any!

Old 09-05-2003, 01:37 PM   #6

lil'momma HB User
Hi, maybe you could try the new playtex nursing system bottles , liners, and nipples. They are designed to help prevent colic. They keep bubbles from reaching the top of the bottle which means less air the baby swallows which can help with that. Also try massaging the babys body to soothe the gas. anyway hth, and good luck.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:48 PM   #7

taharra HB User
When my son was colicky, I would lay him across my lap tummy side down and gently bounce my knees. He liked it so much that he wanted to "bounce" until he was 2 years old!

Old 09-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #8

ordinarymom HB User
Hang in there! Let all those neighbors and family members who are offering (assuming they are) help out now and then. Even if it is for an hour while you two eat dinner in peace. My sister's son had collic and would not tolerate her holding him close to her. From the time he was tiny she held him facing out on the end of her knee bouncing slighty. He wouldn't even sleep in the car. He screamed the whole time unless she sand at the top of her lungs. Now she can laugh about it and one day, you will too. Hey you have already been through six weeks of this. It will get better! My nephew also stopped crying at about 3 months. Take turns and realize that there is nothing that you have done to make him have this.
Good luck to you!

Old 09-06-2003, 04:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
This is a thing I learned from a friend. With our second son we THOUGHT he had colic. Our doctor told us that was what it was and it seemed like it also from what I had read in books and such. Well a friend knew we were suffering as was our son. She told me to go to a herbal/health food shop and ask for Catnip and Fennel extra. The one we went to knew exactly what we were looking for. She swore by the stuff and said it helped her with her kids. Just follow the directions on the box or label.
It did work some for our second son. But come to find out he didnt have colic. He was actually allegic to his formula and had to be switched. We didnt find out until he was 5 months old what the problem was.
It might be something you can consider.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 09-06-2003, 05:10 PM   #10

Zoe00 HB User
Congradulations! My son is 8 1/2 months old now and we have used the playtex nurser system since he was about 3 months old. If you do try that *if you aren't already* make sure to push the air out of the bottle so that the baby doesn't get any of it. My father told me that one of my brothers was colic and my mother was breastfeeding while she was stressed out which caused the baby some discomfort, *I dont know how true that is medically its just what my dad told me
A friends first born was colic and inorder to get her to calm down, he had to hold her in his hand like you are carrying a waitress platter. He held her with her belly in the palm of his hand propped his arm up and she was able to fall asleep because the pressure on her belly. I live in Alaska I dont know if you have this in the stores but look in the herbal/medicine/baby isle somewhere I believe there is something for colic. I hope some of this helps you. Just rememeber to try and relax and be patient with one another, specially the little guy. There were many times my friend made sure their baby was safe in her crib and took a step out the door with the radio on for a few minutes of peace and quiet, don't feel guilty for letting the baby scream, you're not leaving the baby home alone, your just standing outside for a few minutes of fresh air. Best of wishes from Alaska.

------------------
ACR

Old 09-06-2003, 08:11 PM   #11
Veteran

chrislove HB User
Thank you all so very much for your suggestions ! It helps to know that we aren't alone. My parents have the baby tonight so we can rest. I am sick with a cold and my wife has a terrible migraine. We will get through this, I know it's only temporary/ It just seems like it's lasting for forever. Any other suggestions are welcome as well or any personal experiences. All of the ones we've tried and you've suggested do seem to work temporarily and we are grateful for that or any relief. Switching formula from the enfamil lipil to good start has helped with his gas too.
We also propped the end of the crib up and have a baby warm water bottle. You are all TERRIFIC !!! thanks Chris, Val and Baby Jack

Old 09-07-2003, 08:09 PM   #12
Veteran

wattagirl HB User
chris-hello from the july/aug club-i hate to hear what you are going through-unfortunately i am in the same boat-doc says emily has acid reflux-i'll tell yu what has worked for us-remember though it hasn't helped 1oo percent but alot-we have added cereal to her bottles-we started with 1 tsp per ounce but are now up to 2 tsps per ounce-makes a huge difference-she is also taking zantac-have your doctor check to se if he could have acid reflux-do you use mylicon-good stuff-let me know asap

Old 09-08-2003, 11:51 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

harvest46 HB User
my son had colic when he was about 2 month old. and lasted for about 3 weeks of so. Did you try using a different brand of formula ? especially try SOY FORMULA. my son got better switching to soy. at least that is what i thought

Old 09-09-2003, 08:11 PM   #14

*AnGeL* HB User
Wink

Firstly, congrats on the birth of your son!!!

I think my little girl who is now 4 weeks old has colic also, as she just screams and screams for hours on end.

I find she calms down when layed on her tummy over my knees and patted on the back, while driving in the car she usually manages some sleep, and laying against my chest so she can hear my heartbeat, wrapped very tightly in a blanket, and rocked and patted. They are the only ways she will sleep, and usually if i put her down she wakes up screaming again the poor deary.

Both me and my partner had colic as children also, and our parents said we magically grew out of it at 3 months of age.

Good luck with your son. I hope he gets better soon!

Closed Thread