It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 08:37 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
Angry I AM SO FREAKIN' MAD!!!!!!!!

I just got back from my 20 week u/s and they wouldn't tell me the sex!!!!!!!! The Baby is fine and healthy, which is terriffic. He/she was face down pretty much the whole time. The place where I went has a rule that they won't tell you the sex until after 23 weeks. The one across town is 20 weeks. Had I known that, I would have gone there. The tech said "I can clearly tell what it is, I just can't tell you. ARGH!!!!! I am so mad I almost started to cry right there. What a crock. I wish my dr would have told me that there was another place that WOULD tell me. Healthcare is public here, no fetal photos, so I can't just pay to go somewhere else. I can only go if my dr orderes it. The chances of that are slim to none since everything is fine. Words can't describe how ****** I am about this. The reason for not telling people is that some people here abort girls. The people who are sick enough to do this will go to the states and find out anyway. It is a total bull@#$! rule!!!!
due with #1 Feb 3, 2004 It's a Boy!!!

Old 09-09-2003, 08:39 AM   #2

imakitty HB User
Thats a very wierd rule. Why cant they tell you? I would be upset also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
They won't tell you because there are enough people in this province that would abort a girl fetus.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
Chrissy, I don't know if you know this, but my hubby and I had to go to Vancouver because there was a problem with our 20 week ultrasound. We went to the BC Womens Hospital. Our first appointment was at about 20.5 weeks. They would NOT tell us the sex. We had to go back 2 weeks later, so we were about 22.5 weeks. The ultrasound tech told us "well I'm not allowed to say anything, but I can show you since you are close enough". So she showed us the penis. That was at the BC Womens Hospital. The reasoning behind why she told us that she can't tell is that at 23 weeks, abortions become illegal in BC. And yes, like the previous poster, there are people who would abort a perfectly healthy fetus because of its gender. I can defenitely understand how you are upset though!! We have public healthcare too, and no matter what the price you offer for an ultrasound to be given, they won't do one. Sorry you couldn't find out though, wish there was something I could do for you. But just be thankfull your having a healthy little baby! That's all that matters.

Angela

------------------
EDD with baby #1 for hubby and I September 21st, 2003! It's A BOY!

Old 09-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
Thanks Babygrant, I know the most important thing is the baby is healthy. i was just raging with pregnancy hormones. I really wanted to find out and they refused to tell me. It just seems like I am the only one who can't find out! Maybe my dr will tell me at my appointment next week.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
I believe in the ultrasound report, they have something about the baby's genitals in it. I know in our 23 week, they reported that the testicles hadn't dropped yet and then in the 32 week, they reported that the testicles had dropped so maybe your doctor will know!! I hope so!

Angela

------------------

Old 09-09-2003, 04:50 PM   #7
Inactive

Jera HB User
Where did you go for your ultrasound? I too live in Vancouver and I just went for my first ultrasound today at St. Pauls. I was so worried it was ectopic, but there it was all cosy in the Uterus, it's little heart flickering away! I am so relieved I cannot tell you. I can't believe they were able to even see anything as I am only 6.5 weeks pregnant.

I am very surprised about this statistic about people aborting girl babies in Vancouver! I have never heard of this happening here before based on gender. In other countries yes, but I am really surprised and horrified by this. How awful!

Well...hopefully you will be able to find out at your doctors appointment like you mentioned...but I'm glad to hear that it is healthy...that is the main thing.

Good luck!

-Jera

Old 09-09-2003, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
that's funny, I was at St.Paul's today too! Mine was at 7:30am though. I'm glad everything went well with your little baby today! I've cooled off about the whole thing now, man was I choked! LOL! Just remember, if you want to know the sex, make sure they book your u/s when you are 23+ weeks! There is a place at 21st(or41st) & victoria that will tell you at 20 weeks. BC women's won't tell until after 24 weeks. Had I known all this before.......oh well! The baby is happy, that's all that matters.

------------------
Christine,
due with #1 Jan 22, 2004

[This message has been edited by chrissy333 (edited 09-09-2003).]

Old 09-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #9

Shannon0421 HB User
That is a bunch of bull and truly unfair!!!!! I too would be ******. Just ask the doctor, hopefully when he reads the results of the u/s he will be able to tell you more specifically the items they saw and he will be able to tell you the sex. Are you having an Amnio??? that will definately tell you. Good luck to you. I was surprised with my second and it was really cool not knowing but it did suck during the time leading up to it.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:40 AM   #10
Inactive

Jera HB User
Chrissy,

Glad you're feeling better about it now. That's funny we were there on the same day. My appointment was at 2:30 and man was I in pain from the full bladder....I was crying and I couldn't walk, it was rediculous. My husband had to put me in a wheelchair to push me down the kilometre or so to the ultrasound area. When I got there they said..."Oh you shouldn't be in so much discomfort & pain, go and pee some out". So I did and then they said to pee some more and I started feeling a bit better, but once I got onto the table and the tech started the ultrasound she said, "Oh your bladder's WAY to full, we won't be able to see anything, you're going to have to pee some more". So she gave me almost a MILKSHAKE size cup and told me to fill half! How rediculous is that? Why do they tell you to drink so much liquid and so far in advance? Next time I'm going to start drinking at the end of the time & maybe half the amount, like an hour or so before my appointment to avoid all the horrible discomfort. That was the worst, I thought my bladder was going to explode!

Anyway...thanks for the info on the different places for an ultrasound. I think I want to be surprised though and I don't really care whether it's a boy or girl, I just want a healthy baby.

Take care,

-Jera

Old 09-10-2003, 10:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
That is so weird. When I went to BC Womens, they told me to drink lots of water. DH and I had our appointment with the lady from medical genetics first so I ended up drinking a whole ton of water there, then went for my ultrasound. When I got to the ultrasound part, they told me to empty my bladder half way. How hard is that!!! Try emptying your bladder half way and keeping the other half in. Once I got in there though, they told me baby was big enough and to empty it all the way. Ahh, that was much better.

Chrissy, someone asked you about having an amnio to find out the sex. I would never ever ever recommend having an amnio to find out the sex. We thought we had to get an amnio after the ultrasound, and we were scared half to death. The risks of having an amnio are so not worth it just to find out the sex. But that's also my own opinion.

So how do you ladies like living in Vancouver? I absolutely hate the driving. Oh my gosh. It's like a rally race!! I swear, there's claw marks on the door handle from my fingernails digging in!! WOW! I hadn't been there for about 10 years and then we went down there May 1st and then May 15th to go to the hospital. I loved the ladies in ultrasound at the BC Womens Hospital though. Much nicer and friendlier than the ones here!!

Anyways, I'm off!

Angela

------------------

Old 09-10-2003, 10:38 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User
Hi Babygrant...there is no way I would get an amnio just for that! My dr would never order it anyway.

As for the bladder thing, I was in seroius pain my first time too! Since then I have been drinking two pint glasses of water, one hour before. I am comfortable, and it is enough for them to see. I had to pee as much as I could the first time, and fill half the milkshake glass the second!

I like living in Vancouver, but it's too expensive to buy a home here. My bf and I just bought a town house in coquitlam. We will be moving around the end of november. I will have to commute for a bit before I go on mat leave, so that will suck. That is where the driving part stinks! Right now I live about 10 minutes from work and 1/2 block from groceries/shopping etc. So I only use my car a tiny bit (to visit my grandparents, go to costco etc..) I'm probably going to sell it when we move because we will be close to the skytrain and my bf's car is way nicer! He'll take the train to work and leave me and the baby the car most of the time!

------------------
Christine,
due with #1 Jan 22, 2004

Old 09-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #13
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
Just a hint: When techs say things like I can clearly tell what it is" or sometimes they say "I definitly can tell" or "there is no doubt" then those u/s tend to be boys. With girls they always say they are 80-90% sure for fear they could be wrong and have missed seeing a penis.

So maybe it's a boy!!!!

------------------
Marie
Mommy of Julia, Grace and our brand new son Benjamin!

Old 09-10-2003, 02:13 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User
Oooh, that's a very good hint!! Thanks hun!

------------------

Old 09-10-2003, 04:25 PM   #15
Inactive

Jera HB User
Chrissy, thanks for the tip on the water thing. I think I'll do that next time!

Babygrant, I hear ya on the driving in Vancouver! It sucks! There are just WAY too many people here and sometimes it drives me nuts! Especially when we come back from a weekend on the Sunshine Coast or Qualicum or even the Okanagan where my parents live. It is just so much more civilized in those places (& Castlegar too I would imagine!) and a bit of a rat race here! We live right smack dab in the middle of Vancouver so it's pretty convenient and I have my own business and work from home so I don't have to commute anywhere so that's good at least! And I have my puppies and kitty here to keep me company! :-)

Chrissy, I know what you're saying about it being expensive to buy a home in van.... we were just really lucky, in the right place at the right time, etc. and bought an old character house about 5 years ago that we are only now renovating., so we feel quite lucky to have found something we can afford. We sure couldn't afford one now that's for sure! Prices have gone up considerably over the past 5 years and our house is worth about $100,000 more now than it was five years ago! Unbelievable! Prices are just rediculous! So, we don't feel too bad about spending all this money on the renos now that we know that it is worth it if we ever plan to sell, not that we're planning on it anytime soon though. I can't wait until they (the renos) are over though...all that banging and sawing and stuff was making me sick the other day (I wasn't feeling great anyway...cramps and stuff) so I had to go out for about 2 hours....but it will be nice when it's all done and we are not living in chaos any longer. It's great that you will be able to go on Mat leave....unfortunately for me, having my own business, I don't get that *sigh* I almost feel like going out and getting a full time job just so I can do that! ha

Anyway girls...must get back to work now!

cheers,

-Jera

Closed Thread