It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 05:49 AM   #1

Tiff Tiff HB User
Post What does it mean when your cervix is "ready"???

I went to the midwives and my blood pressure is 20-30 higher than it usually is, however i am fine in all other aspects (no sweling, headaches, etc...). They don't like that my blood pressure is high so they told me to be on bed rest as much as possible.. i'm not allowed to go anywhere. it is awful!! I want to get up and do stuff and go out but i cant!

So.... they said that on Monday (I will be 5 days from my due date), they will check my cervix, and if my cervix is "ready" to have the baby, then they will induce me. if not, i will bedrest more until it is ready. I'm hoping sooo badly that it is "ready" because I want to have my baby, and also because i hate bedrest.. Ok so my question is, what does it mean to have your cervix be "ready"?? i didn't think to ask them when they told me that, but now i want to know... does it mean dialated? i was 1 cm dialated 2.5 weeks ago, i havent been checked since then. or what?

and if they try to induce me if it is not ready she said it will probably end up being a c-section.

------------------
EDD Sept. 21. It's a boy!! Tyler Shawn is my lil' angel

Old 09-14-2003, 07:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Hi,

In order for your cervix to stretch enough for the baby to be born, it must both thin out and dialate. It is the thinning out that must happen before your cervix is "ready" to dialate. Your body does this - nothing you can do will hurry the process.

Enjoy the rest - you'll be busy soon! Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
They probably mean they want to check if your cervix is thinning out...which it can start doing at just about any time during your pregnancy.

Old 09-14-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
They probably mean they want to check if your cervix is thinning out...which it can start doing at just about any time during your pregnancy. Then after that is dialation.
The process CAN be hurried along if necessary...doctors can use a gel that they insert inside of you to help it soften and start thinning out if it isnt doing it on its own. Some women need this boost.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:16 PM   #5

Tiff Tiff HB User
oops double

[This message has been edited by Tiff Tiff (edited 09-14-2003).]

Old 09-14-2003, 06:18 PM   #6

Tiff Tiff HB User
the first time they checked my cervix (2.5 weeks ago), the first thing she said was "your cervix is very soft" and she wrote on my chart 25% effaced, 1cm dialated.

and i just pee'd and when i did, a red glob came out, it was pretty flat.. but about the size of a quarter.. and a little bloody but not like a period or anything just a little bit of blood... would this happen if my cervix was not ready???

Old 09-15-2003, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
Probably not. It sounds like you lost, or are losing your mucus plug. Which is a sure sign labor is just around the corner. Its highly unlikely you would be dialiating if your cervix wasnt ready. Efacing is the thinning out of it...when it does that, you start to dialate.
Sounds like you will be having a baby any day now!
If it makes you feel any better, my aunt went to the hospital at 9 AM sat . morning, already 8 cm, and out came my baby girl cousin at 10:57 am!!!!! Talk about quick, eh?>

Closed Thread