It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

mugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB User
Results from First Trimester Screening

I got the results yesterday, that my chances of having a Down syndrome baby are 1/89, or 1.1%. They said that's an increased risk, but it's lower than the risk based on age alone (I'm 40, but they base it on the age you'd give birth, so really 41), which would be 1/65. For trisomy 13 and 18, the risk is 1/2200 which is like a 0.05% chance. The girl on the phone that gave me the results kept like pausing and not saying too much, which made it feel like she was giving me bad news. Mostly the bad news is from the blood work, although she didn't give me any specific results for that. When I had the ultrasound, they acted like it was good because there was a nose bone, and the nuchal translucency was 1.3 when I've read it could be 6 for Down Syndrome. The risk of miscarriage from getting CVS is 1/200 so they said I have a greater chance of having a Down Syndrome baby than of having a miscarriage. So, now I feel like I have to get the CVS to get a definitive answer. I had already made an appointment for CVS just in case it said I was high risk, and I was going to cancel it if I was low risk because I already had a miscarriage last time I tried to get pregnant. But I feel confused like maybe the test is worthless because they act like it's high risk, when 1% seems low risk. But with my son, the numbers were a lot different, but I was 3 years younger. It was like a 0% chance so I didn't get any further testing. So I don't know what to think. I'm afraid if the blood test wasn't normal, maybe it could have Down Syndrome, but wouldn't I have a 98.9% chance of having a normal baby? So now I have to get the CVS just to ease my mind and get a real answer, but if I miscarry and it was normal, that will really be sad. Plus everyone thinks I should terminate the pregnancy if it's not normal, and rationally, I agree but I really don't want to have to do that. But I'll feel like a horrible person if I do, and I'd probably love a baby even if it's chromosomally challenged, but I've read stories and I don't think I can handle the stress if it has health problems. I get the CVS on Tuesday, but I think it takes 7-10 days to get a result, so in the mean time I'm going to be a basketcase. Plus if I terminated the pregnancy, because I'm 40, I don't think I would try again. So all my hopes are on this baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
(female)

mugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB User
Re: Results from First Trimester Screening

I had the CVS today. It wasn't that bad. It felt a little weird when I felt the needle go in the uterus and they had to jerk it up and down, sort of like liposuction, to get the fluid out. But it only felt weird during it and a little while after. I feel pretty normal now, but you can get complications within 48 hours and if you miscarry within 2 weeks, it could be because of the CVS. I get the "FISH" preliminary results on Thursday, and the final result in 2 weeks, but they said the preliminary results are 99% accurate. The baby was face down and not moving on the ultrasound, which made me think it was dead, but it still has a heartbeat and was moving some. But they said 30% of Down syndrome babies have a nose bone. I got the actual values for the hcg and PAPP-A. The hcg was in the 80th percentile, and the PAPP-A was in the 20th percentile, but they are supposed to be around 50% so that is worrisome. I cried at one point talking to the genetics counselor which was a little embarrassing, but I feel like them calling it high risk sort of traumatized me. The doctor doing the CVS was more reassuring. But at least I'll get a real answer on Thursday.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

Re: Results from First Trimester Screening

In case anyone has been reading this, I got the results today. It doesn't have Down syndrome, or Trisomy 13 or 18. So I'm all relieved.

Closed Thread