It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2003, 04:53 PM   #1

alynnr HB User
Post Soft cervix at 28 weeks?

I've had some contractions 1-2 hours twice after having sex and doc checked my cervix at my apt last week and said my cervix is softer than he'd like and I am to go back in two weeks instead of a month and I can't have sex for a month. What exactly does "soft cervix" mean?

Old 10-26-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Hello! A soft cervix means that it is already preparing for the birth process and you could go into premature labor. I would definitely refrain from sex or anything strenous from now on. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2003, 06:49 PM   #3

alynnr HB User
I didn't mean to sound like an idiot. I know all about dilating and effacing, but I guess I've forgotten alot since childbirth class a few years ago, the soft cervix thing didn't ring a bell, although the doctor did say that we wanted to avoid contractions or I would start dilating (I knew that part :-) I'm having lots of Braxton Hicks contractions too. I wonder if I should be worried about those. If they keep up I'll ask in two weeks I guess. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Hello! You did not sound like an idiot we all forget or donot know everything especially when it comes to pregnancy. I would be a little nerveous about having so many braxton hicks and you should let your doctor know. I would also suggest drinking alot of water as this keeps you from dehydrating and contracting, also try to get alot of rest and lay on your side with a body pillow or some regular pillows underneath your legs and belly. Good luck and I also did some reading on the internet for you I would ask the doctor if he/she feels that you have an incompotent cervix as a soft cervix is a sign and becareful because if your cervix continues to soften you and baby are in greater chance of getting infections and premature delivery. Take care

Old 10-27-2003, 06:34 PM   #5

alynnr HB User
Thanks Connie. I am drinking more water and I think it's helping. Doctor plans to keep a close eye on my cervix, so we'll see how it goes.

Old 10-28-2003, 04:28 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
I had the same problem ,but it was about 32 weeks. I worked at a department store at the time, so I was on my feet alot. ( Research while I was pregnant told me that being on your feet alot can cause pre term labor ) My doctor took me out of work, and checked me again in another 2 weeks too. My daughter was also head down, where he could feel it when he checked me...I did have her early ( at 35 weeks ) but she was 5 lbs 15 oz and perfectly healthy.
So just take it easy, and even if your baby is born early, technology these days is absolutely AMAZING,and I'm sure baby will be jsut fine

Old 10-28-2003, 06:11 AM   #7

alynnr HB User
So lilnutty, how many contractions were you having? I've only had them twice, but it was an hour or so each time and when he checked me, the baby's head was down also. I'm not working, but of course I'm on my feet to do housework and run errands, I go walk at the gym too a little, I wonder if this is bad. I'll see what the doctor says in two weeks. Surely it's possible if I don't have any more contractions that the cervix will tighten back up?
I'm glad to hear your baby was born healthy! Do they know why your cervix was soft? Was it incompetent cervix or anything like that? My doc. hasn't mentioned this, he says it's normal for a second time mom (like me) to have a little softer cervix, but evidentally it went beyond a little softer since he was concerned. I feel like I'm trying to outguess the doctor LOL.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
I would only have a couple sets of contractions an hour....and it was hard to tell if they were real or if they were braxton hicks....There was one time he checked me, and during the check he said I was having a contraction.....he just said that my cervix softening meant that my body was getting ready for delivery....
As far as your walking, my doctor told me at the time to eliminate all unecessary activities on my feet....and going to the gym and walking may be hurrying your "labor" along a bit....I know I wouldnt do it anymore, just to be on the safe side...Once he told me I could go into premature labor, i stayed off my feet as much as possible.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:28 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
Oh btw, I dont think your cervix will "tighten back up" ....baby's head can always switch positions again,because youre only 28 weeks... but your cervix will remain soft....which is why you do things ( or not do things) to keep things from progressing.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:48 AM   #10

alynnr HB User
Lilnutty, thanks so much. I'm going to take it easy today and not go to the gym. I def. don't want the baby to come anytime soon. I'm only 29 weeks and I think he needs more time to "cook." I'll def. discuss the walking thing at my next appt. I don't want to hurry along labor yet. Thanks so much for sharing your story. It was really nice to hear from someone who went through something similiar.

Closed Thread