It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User
Post I dyed my hair in first trimester!

I know many OB's say it's okay to color hair after the first trimester, but I colored with permanent hair dye at week 9! I wasn't aware that this could be harmful. Has anyone out there dyed their hair in the first trimester with permanent hair dye (not highlights)? If so, how did your baby turn out?

Old 10-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Trio HB User
I actually looked it up on the net in various places and every time it stated that there has never been any evidence to say that dyeing your hair is dangerous to the baby. The biggest arguement that I found was that there only ever a minute amount of dye that is ever absorbed through your skin, if any, and in turn only a tiny amount of what was absorbed would ever make it to the fetus, if at all.

Personally, I think it would be safe and you don't need to worry.

Trio http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 08:24 AM   #3

astrophel HB User
are you only supposed to dye in the first? I was thinking about getting mine done next week... I've just turned 25wks. I've heard that dying your hair won't hurt, but nothing about trimesters.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

conniefolger HB User
Hello! Ladies I colored my hair in my first trimester and 3rd and yet and my son came out just fine. There are no proven facts that hair coloring hurts your developeing baby in any way. I think they say that because some women can not tolerate the smells and if you use amonia free hair color youll be fine as far as the smell goes

Old 10-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #5
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User
I used the kind that is permanent (level 3) with full ammonia. Everything I read says to wait after the first trimester, which is why I am so scared of what I did. I really would love to hear from ladies who colored in the first trimester with a permanent dye (negative or postive response). Thanks so much!

Old 10-10-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Trio HB User
I'm sorry that I didn't mention earlier, but I colored my hair (after much thought, contemplation, and reading on the subject...) last Saturday. I was 4 weeks along.

Trio

Old 10-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #7
(female)

pigtailpagirl2 HB User
Wink

Hello, I'm 14 weeks along now and too colored my hair in the 1st trimester. I'm a beautician and the only thing my doctor ever said to me (or what I learned) was, it is up to you whether or not you do. There are no findings that it will harm the fetus. However the only thing that could happen is the color won't take. That goes for a perm too, so the worst thing you could do is waste money. I wouldn't worry, I've never heard of the 1st trimester thing either. You and the baby are going to be just fine!!! If it really worries you, then maybe wait til after you have your baby to re color, (You don't want to stress about it). I colored my hair with my 1st pregnancy twice and everything was fine. One word of advice I can give, and this goes for cleaning products as well is to use gloves and try not to inhale it straight in, just do it in a well ventilated area. I'm not a doctor, but I just know your baby is fine!!! I'm sure your doctor can reassure you also!!

Old 10-12-2003, 12:54 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

AmandaB HB User
I have read an article on what beauty things are safe ~ and what are not. They say that colouring your hair is safe as only a minimal amount of chemicals are absorbed into the bloodstream. This is the case at any stage of pregnancy.

But did you know that a lot of anti wrinkle creams are a serious no-no. They are full of Vitamin A which is bad for baby. I never knew that!

And did you know that spa baths are dangerous too? And a lot of massage oils. It was a very interesting read!

------------------
Hugs
Amanda
Mummy to 2 precious Angels

Old 10-29-2003, 02:18 PM   #9
(female)

Lissie HB User
Wink

I was doing some searching on coloring hair when I came across these posts.

One more thing thing you are not supposed to use is self tanner while pregnant. I did some research on this with my first pregnancy, and they say the die that causes your skin to turn brown can get in your system and cause brown pigments on the baby.

Just some FYI.

Lissie

Closed Thread