It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2003, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Cindy_S74 HB User
Question High blood pressure at 34 weeks

I am about 34 weeks pregnant and for the last 3 days my blood pressure has been high. The highest was something over 96. Even when I get out of bed first thing in the morning it's something over 90 something. I called the doctor but he wants me to wait till Monday when my appointment is to come in. I know from my first pregnancy that plenty of rest will help. I do rest alot more than I was but I'm wondering if the doctor will take my baby early or put me on blood pressure pills or what. I had high blood pressure with my first child but I think most of it was stress related. Saturday my chest hurt and it was hard for me to breathe and then everything went black for a few seconds. I'm wondering if this was blood pressure related. I called the doctor later on and my blood pressure was fine so he said he didn't know what caused it but if it happens again go to the ER. Anyone with high blood pressure this late in pregnancy, what did your doctor do for you?

Old 10-30-2003, 08:06 AM   #2

HeatherW HB User
There are few if any BP meds that are safe for women to take when they are pregnant. Just take care of yourself and if you begin to feel light-headded and have a bad headache go to the hospital. They may have to take the baby early but it will be ok. They will give you meds, steroids to advance the development of the baby. My daughter was born at 33 1/2 weeks and she was small but other than that she was fine. The baby can survive and be just fine at this stage of your pregnancy. Good luck Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2003, 09:26 AM   #3
(female)

Cindy_S74 HB User
Oh I feel light headed and dizzy but the doctor didn't seem concerned when I talked to him yesterday. Well actually the nurse. I checked my blood pressure this morning around 8:30 and it was 134 over 106. The nurse was the one who told me about maybe going on blood pressure pills.

Did your baby have to stay in the hosptial longer because he/she was born early or was able to come home with you? My first baby had to stay for 5 days, 3 days longer than I did, and that is the hardest thing to do! But it wasn't related to my blood pressure being high with him and delivering him early. I went a week over with him.

Old 10-31-2003, 07:28 PM   #4

lil'momma HB User
I had high blood pressure during my last few weeks of pregnancy also. My doctor just put me on bed rest and had me take non-stress test at my appointments. Bed rest helped alot but still it was up and down. just getting up to go to the bathroom would make it go up really high. I was also put in the hospital overnight for observation. A few days before my due date my doc. decided he needed to go ahead and try to induce, it didn't work so eventually I ended up having a c-section . Just try to stay off your feet and have someone take care of you if they can. The doctor will monitor your blood pressure at your visits. If you do start to get really bad headaches, blurred vision, etc. go to the hospital right then.(It could be getting to high)

Old 10-31-2003, 08:16 PM   #5

smushyj37 HB User
I had hight blood pressure show up about 34 weeks and the doctor put me on bed rest for a week while having me come in for appointments, then hospitalized while he stabalized the blood pressure with bed rest and medication. When I was 38 weeks I was induced and had a very healthy 8 pound 3 ounce boy....who is now 6 months old.

Total bed rest is easy in the hospital as there's nothing to do, but certainly boring. This was during the SARS outbreak here in Toronto, so I wasn't allowed visitors, not even my husband....I had to rest, brought the blood pressure down.

All I can say is lots of bed rest and if you see spots before your eyes, go to the emergency, as your blood pressure is way to high.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:34 AM   #6

HeatherW HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_S74
Oh I feel light headed and dizzy but the doctor didn't seem concerned when I talked to him yesterday. Well actually the nurse. I checked my blood pressure this morning around 8:30 and it was 134 over 106. The nurse was the one who told me about maybe going on blood pressure pills.

Did your baby have to stay in the hosptial longer because he/she was born early or was able to come home with you? My first baby had to stay for 5 days, 3 days longer than I did, and that is the hardest thing to do! But it wasn't related to my blood pressure being high with him and delivering him early. I went a week over with him.
My little girl had to stay in the hospital for two weeks and you are right it is very hard. She only weighed 4 lbs and 2 oz. As soon as she got up to 4.5 they let her go. HeatherW

Old 11-04-2003, 04:32 PM   #7
(female)

Cindy_S74 HB User
See what I can't understand is this. The nurse pract. will tell me one thing and then the doctor will tell me something different. She (nurse pract.) said my blood pressure should be under 90 and for me to check it at home 5 to 6 times a day. I did! I seen the doctor yesterday and he said I'm checking it to much, and I may be causing it to go up because I"m worrying about it. He said it should be under 95. He said the headaches and dizziness is pregnancy related. Nurse pract. said it's because of blood pressure. Which I know some of the headaches and dizziness is pregnancy related but why when my blood pressure was up that's when the headaches and dizziness was worse. You don't know who to believe or what to do. But I am going to keep an eye on my blood pressure and if it gets to high I will just go to the ER and maybe that will get his attention....I don't know!

Closed Thread