It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

rgoss HB User
Child birth after a lateral internal sphincterotomy

Im new to this site ... so Hi everyone. I am hoping I can find others in my same situation and find out how they have or are handling it.

When I gave birth to DD I pushed for 4 hours which created one of the biggest anal fissure that my anal/rectal Dr had ever seen. I tried for months to get rid of it without success. Finally after a year of gut wrenching bowel movements, I had a lateral internal sphincterotomy. It worked beautifully and I no longer have a fissure anymore! When I had the surgery my Dr told me that if I have another baby, I shouldn't have a baby bigger than 8 lbs vaginally, or I have a higher chance of being incontinent. K ... well, DD was 9 lbs 2 oz and 4 days early.

I am now 12 weeks pregnant, and I cannot decide what to do. I have talk to my OB and he is concerned that even IF baby is the right size on the right date, that being induced still might cause a lot of stress and tearing. I have heard so many mixed things about c-sections ... I'm totally scared to have one (but at what cost?). If you have had an LIS, please let me know how you have (or plan to) handled child birth...and if you had any problems.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
(female)

cheleston HB User
Re: Child birth after a lateral internal sphincterotomy

I delivered a 7lb 9oz baby in May 07. I had a 4th degree tear that resulted in a chronic fissure. In October 07 i underwent a LIS. It was immediate relief of the most horrible BM's i could have possibly imagined for 5 months. I became pregnant in late 08 and was faced with the same descision. I was told that if i tore again i could have complete incontinence. My doctor recommended that i have a c-section if the baby was measured at or over 7lbs 9oz. With the fear of all of that i opted to have a c-section. I am very glad that i did. the pain of the c-section was nothing compared to the pain of my first vaginal delivery. i delivered a 7lb 10oz baby in july 09 via c-section and it was definatly the right decsion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
(female)

rgoss HB User
Re: Child birth after a lateral internal sphincterotomy

Thank you ... it is nice to hear someone's story that had a similar dilemma. I am so glad your second went so much better and you were happy with your decision.

Closed Thread