It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
(female)

Gypsygrl HB User
Question Please help!! Questions about taking Xanax during the third trimester. Please help!

I've been prescribed Xanax for anxiety & panic attacks off & on for the past 10 years & consistently for the past 4. When I found out I was pregnant I had been taking the 4mg/daily I was prescribed. My 1st Ob/Gyn said that Xanax was a huge no-no & that my baby would be born with the shakes (which after research I can only figure she was referring to NAS. Oddly enough though, she told me that she had no problem with me continuing to take my medication prescribed to me by my pain management Dr.) She ended up prescribing me 5mg Buspar 2/day (which, although i continue to take it, doesnt seem to have any affect on my anxiety) After hearing what she said, I immediately started to ween myself off of the Xanax until I was no longer taking any. During this time I moved from FL to NY, where I now have a new Ob/Gyn who hasn't really said anything one way or the other about me taking Xanax during my Pregnancy. Over the last few months my anxiety has become unbearable at times to the point of me not wanting to see or talk to people & sometimes even being scared to just leave the house. This along with all the new anxieties I have over being a fist time mom. I also went to a new
pain management Dr. once I moved, & he, unlike my previous Dr said that I
needed to lower my methadone dose during my pregnancy. Not because of any
birth defect issues, but because, as he says, it could shave points off of my
unborn child's IQ. So under his supervision we have lowered my dose from 60mg 2/day to 20mg 2/day so far & will probably be down to between 5-10 mg 3/day. But he decided to put me back on to Xanax for my anxiety. He prescribed me 1mg 3 x's a day. I have yet to take that amount. Most days i actually dont take any at all & when I do it's usually 1/2 a pill which is .5 mg & even that doesnt really get rid of my anxiety. I have read how bad it can be for the unborn baby when I am going through these horrible bouts of anxiety or even worse go into a full blown panic attack. I Often (more often than I take it) feel like I need to take my Xanax, But because of what my first Ob/Gyn said my husband fears me taking any at all & he holds on to my prescription & gives it to me (1/2 a pill & no more during an entire day & definitely never on consecutive days no matter how bad my anxiety gets) when I ask & he realizes how bad off I am at that particular moment. The horrible thing is that I get anxious even after taking Xanax bc I can't help but feel like I've done something wrong or something to hurt my little girl. It's a major catch 22. I am in my third trimester now & all of the info I find on this subject seems to focus on what will happen if Xanax is taken during the first trimester, so it's not really very helpful at this point & all of the differing views from drs is even more confusing. Please, if anyone has any info on the effects of anxiety & or Panic attacks on unborn babies, the effects of Xanax on the baby during the third trimester or even if anyone has been I this situation & has some knowledge on the subject, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who has, or knows someone who has, taken Xanax while pregnant & how their children turned out, From birth to any age, bc there isn't really info out there letting me know if it can have any long term affects on babies/children.
Sorry this is so long, guess I just had ALOT to say & ALOT of worries
Thanks to everyone who takes their time to helP,
Anxious & Confused

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

lipsticknguns HB User
Re: Please help!! Questions about taking Xanax during the third trimester. Please hel

Hello there. I also have panic and anxiety and I am 9 weeks pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant, I stopped taking my xanax and paxil. It has been hard managing the anxiety and panic so far but I have been reading books on how to deal with anxiety naturally which helps a little. Maybe you could try going to the library and check out books on that subject, just a suggestion.
Also, my aunt took xanax thru her entire pregnancy with my cousin. He has a lot of behavioral problems. I don't know if his problems are directly related to the xanax but her other two children don't have the same issues and she claims to have not taken xanax with them.

Last edited by lipsticknguns; 01-15-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

Rpacheco4989 HB User
Re: Please help!! Questions about taking Xanax during the third trimester. Please hel

Hello, I have the same problem as you, anxiety and terribly scared of the outcome of taking Xanax. Feel miserable not knowing if I'm hurting my baby the positives outweigh the negatives it looks like from all the reading I've done. But I would feel more at ease hearing from someone with experience and knowing the baby was born normal. I would greatly appreciate a response from you. Did you already deliver? If not have you been taking the meds? Hope to hear back. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
(female)

CherriedEmpress HB User

Xanax is HUGE no-no! Your first doctor is correct! I also suffer from panic disorder and schizoaffective and while I have taken Xanax in the past, I stopped long ago.

Xanax is FDA pregnancy category D! If I were you, I would wean off ASAP for the sake of your child. I had to quit/taper down on my meds as well - and while they don't work as well for me if at all, I just keep reminding myself that I'm carrying a child. I'm 5 months pregnant by the way. I take Subutex 16 mg and Celexa 40 mg every day. Before I got pregnant, I was on Suboxone 24 mg, Geodon 80 mg and Celexa 60 mg. All of these meds had to either be decreased or immediately stopped upon my pregnancy discovery.

I hope you make the best decision. If you had really read thoroughly, though, I don't see how you could possibly think the positives outweigh the negatives. Xanax is a dangerous, extremely addictive drug that can really mess one up.

Last edited by CherriedEmpress; 02-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
(female)

CherriedEmpress HB User

Xanax is a HUGE no-no! Your first doctor is correct! I also suffer from panic disorder and schizoaffective and while I have taken Xanax in the past, I stopped long ago.

Xanax is FDA pregnancy category D! If I were you, I would wean off ASAP for the sake of your child. I had to quit/taper down on my meds as well - and while they don't work as well for me if at all, I just keep reminding myself that I'm carrying a child. I'm 5 months pregnant by the way. I take Subutex 16 mg and Celexa 40 mg every day. Before I got pregnant, I was on Suboxone 24 mg, Geodon 80 mg and Celexa 60 mg. All of these meds had to either be decreased or immediately stopped upon my pregnancy discovery. They all all catergory C but the docs feel better knowing I'm on low doses.

I hope you make the best decision. If you had really read thoroughly, though, I don't see how you could possibly think the positives outweigh the negatives. Xanax is a dangerous, extremely addictive drug that can really mess one up. I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just a little stunned.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User

GG, please get off the xanax asap, your not going to find the answer your looking for because no one really knows, and your baby would be addicted to the med too and would go thru WD's. Xanax is very powerful and it is hard for a non pg person to get off of. I worked in a place taking care of pg mothers, and it was a big nono
best of luck
Gracie

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, pregnancy, xanax