It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
(female)

Mommytobe12 HB User
Can I tell whether my baby is caucasian or african-american by ultrasound?

I saw a thread about someone else in my situation, but the dates are different so I'm posting my own.

I live in San Diego & on September 8th there was a county-wide blackout. While walking to my apartment which was near the SDSU campus, I was raped. I haven't told anyone except my 2 closest friends. (For all those who will criticize me for not doing anything about it..No, I didn't go to the hospital because I don't drive, the trolleys were out of service and there was no power or lights or phones so I just stayed in my apartment.)

My question is, my husband and I had been trying to conceive since we got married in July. I had my period three days after the rape happened, and I ovulated at the end of September, which is when my doctor told me my husband & I had conceived.

I took a pregnancy test Oct. 8th and it was negative because my next period wasn't late yet, but as soon as it was, on the 16th, I had a positive test. My due date is June 21st. Is there a chance my baby could be the product of the rape? I'm scared to death and my friends said not to worry, but does anyone know if I truly did conceive at the end of September like the doctor said? Next time I get the doctor alone without my husband in the room I'm going to tell her and ask her about it, but it's not for another 2 weeks. Or is there a way I could tell from a 3-D ultrasound? Please help, I don't have the heart to tell my husband or parents what happened and my world would be crushed if the child wasn't my husband's. Please don't comment if you're going to say mean things, I just really need some advice, it's been worrying me for months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can I tell whether my baby is caucasian or african-american by ultrasound?

Ultrasound cannot detect the baby's race. In fact, melanin doesn't even appear in the baby's skin for a few hours after birth!

However, if you have amniocentesis or a certain type of blood test, they can collect a few cells from the baby and do a DNA test to compare with a sample of your husband's DNA.

This would be fairly expensive, however. Might be covered by your insurance or the police, I don't know.

And if your GYN doesn't know about the rape yet, she needs to.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

jana83 HB User

I'm sorry to hear about the rape, that must have been tough. You are a truly brave woman for dealing with this alone (although I would encourage you to confide in someone at some point).

As for the dates, did you have an early (6-8 weeks) ultrasound? Because if you did and the baby measured on target for your due date (June 21st), then you can be sure that's correct. So if your doctor thinks you conceived at the end of september due to an early ultrasound as well as your last period, they're right and it couldn't be the rapist's baby.

Good luck and talk to your ob/gyn, they will be able to reassure you.

Last edited by jana83; 02-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
(female)

GlassofWater HB User

Does your husband know? at all? Whats going to happen if the baby is african american.. and then your husband finds out the hard way? You better tell him now..

The Following User Says Thank You to GlassofWater For This Useful Post:
Belly Kelly (02-23-2012)
Closed Thread