It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

rissie08 HB User
How long before results of prenatal blood tests?

Hi All,

I am pregnant and very high anxiety - got my prenatal bloodwork done on the 20th (which was a Friday) and I am curious as to how long it would take if something was wrong (like HIV - which is my biggest fear) for them to get in contact with me. I have been told by many people "within a week you'd know" but then I started hearing (and reading) that it can take up to 14 days to be notified of a pos result...and it got me freaking out again. Has anyone experienced this? And how long did it take for your results to come back?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How long before results of prenatal blood tests?

That varies from lab to lab. Also the asked for tests will impact it. A general blood panel will take less time than any special requests. I'd call the doctor's office and ask when the results should be back. That's the only way to know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
(female)

rissie08 HB User

Hi, thanks for the reply.

According the the information booklet from the lab it went to, (they're open 7 days a week) for a pos HIV test (the longest test) it takes a week from the time they recieve the sample...I just don't know if the hospital will send bloodwork out on weekends (got my blood taken early Friday afternoon), or if they wait till Monday I know all the information...just I don't know how long it would take the hospital to send the blood to the lab...and I don't know how long they would wait if something came out positive to call my doctor. I know you don't know these answers any better than I do...but it's a Sunday and my doctor's office is closed, and I'm just kind of losing my head here. I guess I just need to let it out. Sorry

I'm normally pretty levelheaded, but this HIV test is really getting me worked up after looking back on my teen years and reading all the information...I guess I am just scared.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
(male)

sweeney50 HB User

hi my girlfriend had her prenatel blood tests 4 weeks tomoro and they said they will contact her if there is a problem but ive been dreading the post everyday thinking there might be a letter to say come in a have a talk with a councillor which means u prob have hiv..its nearly 4 weeks and im still scared but surely they would of rang by now dont you think?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
(female)

rissie08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney50 View Post
hi my girlfriend had her prenatel blood tests 4 weeks tomoro and they said they will contact her if there is a problem but ive been dreading the post everyday thinking there might be a letter to say come in a have a talk with a councillor which means u prob have hiv..its nearly 4 weeks and im still scared but surely they would of rang by now dont you think?
Hi - I would have to say you guys are in the clear: don't quote me, but I'm in Canada too - and when it comes to something like that, they would want to get the woman help ASAP...I found out I was fine at my next doc appt, which was 3 weeks after the initial testing I think. I feel for you though, I spent the entire month so scared!! Thinking of you, praying you'll post and let me know your results! <3 hugs to you and your Gf.

Edit - sorry, I thought for some reason I read "Toronto" in your response. But even if you're not in Canada - I still think you'd hear something before now.

Last edited by rissie08; 10-18-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Closed Thread