It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User
Heartburn meds during pregnancy

So I'm 7 week pregnant and experiencing burning in my throat everyday--I had this before I was pregnant and on meds but stopped when I found out I was pregnant. I fear though that I've come to a point though where I need to take something though because the burning is pretty much constant and I have trouble breathing because of it.
I called my clinic and the nurse told me I could go ahead and take my aciphex as it is a catagory B. She said Prilosec was safe too. I told her I was interested in maybe trying something not so strong like zantac or pepsid but she said those were NOT to be taken during the first trimester. Huh. My last two pregnancies I was told to take nothing but tums and zantac. I'm confused because I thought it was the other way around--zantac and pepsid were the safe ones and prilosec and aciphex and those types were reserved for after the first trimester. I'm hesitant to call the clinic back in case I get the same nurse. My first appt. isn't for another two weeks so...not sure what to do.
Have any of you had this discussion with your practitioners? What did they say?
Thanks!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Heartburn meds during pregnancy

There is no actual evidence that any of the heartburn medicines are harmful during pregnancy. The only question is which ones have better evidence of safety.

Several years ago, Aciphex, prilosec, etc were all in Category C, because there was no evidence one way or the other. Now, more evidence has emerged, and we can say that they are probably safe during pregnancy.

In any case, severe untreated heartburn may be harmful if it interferes with you getting enough nutrition. So, if you need medicine to get by, then do so. Just make sure you take a calcium supplement which is made from calcium citrate, because that's more easily absorbed in people on acid blocking medicines.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread