HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   Anal Skin Tag Removal During Pregnancy Safe? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/916394-anal-skin-tag-removal-during-pregnancy-safe.html)

utsa 08-29-2012 06:30 PM

Anal Skin Tag Removal During Pregnancy Safe?

Super embarrassed, but I have 2 anal skin tags and I'm also 3 months pregnant. I would like to have the skin tags removed before labor/delivery, but through all my research, I can't figure out if it'll be possible and safe during pregnancy.

Does anyone know if it's possible/safe during pregnancy and has this ever happened to anyone else?

utsa 09-08-2012 03:52 PM

Re: Anal Skin Tag Removal During Pregnancy Safe?

Just a quick update. It IS safe for pregnant women to have skin tags removed. I had mine removed last week and it took 5 minutes for the entire procedure. They gave me a couple shots of local anesthesia and cut them right off. No stitches necessary. There was a little bleeding and very slight discomfort the next day, but it was virtually painless. I was really worried about all the horror stories, but I guess everyone has a difference tolerance for pain.

Kel2895 01-27-2013 01:13 PM

Hi, I was just wondering if you could givean update on how the healing went and how long it took until it was fully healed? Did you have it done by a CRS? Thanks!

utsa 01-28-2013 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=Kel2895;5123849]Hi, I was just wondering if you could givean update on how the healing went and how long it took until it was fully healed? Did you have it done by a CRS? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes, I had it done by a CRS. Mine were relatively small so the healing time took a few days. I've had this procedure done twice. My only complaint is that the CRS did not fully remove the skin tag from the base. That's the reason why I went a second time. I'm going to ask him tomorrow when I go for a follow up (for my 2nd procedure) to see why he doesn't remove it from the base.

Kel2895 02-25-2013 05:59 PM

Hi utsa,

Just checking in how it went and how everything has healed up? Were you left with a skin tag after the original removal? I spoke with my CRS today finally and she said she is hesitant to do the surgery as mine is small and she thinks I would be left with one about the same size after surgery due to inflamation. Would love to hear how yours turned out.

utsa 02-26-2013 06:35 AM

[QUOTE=Kel2895;5138341]Hi utsa,

Just checking in how it went and how everything has healed up? Were you left with a skin tag after the original removal? I spoke with my CRS today finally and she said she is hesitant to do the surgery as mine is small and she thinks I would be left with one about the same size after surgery due to inflamation. Would love to hear how yours turned out.[/QUOTE]

Hi, Kel.

Everything has healed, but i did get a ton of inflammation from it. Turns out, it looks even worse than before the skin tag removed. My CRS says it's not only because of the inflammation, but due to my pregnancy. He said it should go down after I give birth. I should have left it alone and listened to him when he recommended to do this after my pregnancy.

Are you pregnant also? If you're not, the inflammation will go down after you get yours removed quite quickly.

Kel2895 02-26-2013 09:43 AM

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. I am not pregnant, but she seemed to think that as my tag is small, the inflamation caused by the procedure was cause a similar tag to form as it healed (if not worse) which surprised me as I have read many people who seem very happy to have had the surgery and say that it there is no skin tag left. She said she would do it if I wanted but that a very small percentage of people who have it done (around 15%) have it heal back to normal....not sure what to do at this point....

utsa 02-26-2013 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=Kel2895;5138614]Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. I am not pregnant, but she seemed to think that as my tag is small, the inflamation caused by the procedure was cause a similar tag to form as it healed (if not worse) which surprised me as I have read many people who seem very happy to have had the surgery and say that it there is no skin tag left. She said she would do it if I wanted but that a very small percentage of people who have it done (around 15%) have it heal back to normal....not sure what to do at this point....[/QUOTE]

Hmm..i think you have nothing to lose and that it's worth a shot. Keep me updated on what you decide. :)