It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

RachieO HB User
Young Mommy to be and really scared

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rachel and I'm 20 years old. I'll be 21 on August 1st. Yesterday, after collapsing I found out I was pregnant with twins. I am terrified and I'll explain why.

1) I am only 20 and in university. I did not plan to have a baby. Although my boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years I wanted to finish school, marry and then have kids. Because I have PCOS I was told the chances of me getting pregnant without fertility treatment were very slim. Even still we used protection.

2) I had ankle surgery on 22/12 a mere two weeks into my pregnancy (I now know when I conceived). There was no pregnancy test done pre surgery because I didn't think I could be pregnant, we used a condom and I have PCOS. I'm now scared that this may have harmed my babies. I had really in-depth scans done yesterday after I was admitted to the hospital after my collapse and they all look fine but I'm still so scared.

3)I have Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetic pregnancies are high risk and I feel really guilty that I haven't seen a doctor for the first 8 weeks of my pregnancy. I have fantastic control of my sugars which is great for the baby but still. Diabetics are supposed to wait months and plan diligently before even trying for a baby.

I can't be excited right now. I'm going to embrace this and give these babies the best life ever but that doesn't mean I'm not terrified. I'm scared for their health. I'm scared about my future, how my schooling will go and if my diabetes will mean premature death leaving these babies without a Mommy too soon.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-03-2013 at 04:13 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to RachieO:
sweetpotato13 (02-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: Young Mommy to be and really scared

Rachel all of your worries are understandable. This is a big shock, and a bit of a schedule changer in your life. Your doctor handling your pregnancy will tell you all you need to know to keep yourself and your babies healthy. It's great to hear that you are in a loving, longterm relationship. I know that it's hard to imagine right now, but those babies will be your pride and joy until the day you die. I wish you the very, very best, and keep coming back here for advice and hand holding. Bless you!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

RachieO HB User

Thank you so much. Today I've been trying to process everything. I'm so so tired as I haven't really slept since I got the news. My Boyfriend was actually on holiday with his brother when everything happened so I haven't told him yet. I feel it's something best done in person. I'm so scared of how he'll react and if he'll still want to be with me. I know he'll probably be supportive but I'm still terrified. He gets home later today.

I've been having a lot of dizziness and nausea today and little black spots in front of my eyes so I've been trying to just rest. Is this normal?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

Hi Rachel,

To be where you are at such a young age would require so much commitment and dedication to your studies, I can understand the huge gap between that goal and motherhood of twins. With a relationship that began when you were 15, I can also see why you would not be anxious to inform your boyfriend as well. Do you have the financial and emotional foundation to stop your education to raise these babies, by yourselves or have huge family support between the two families?

I know our first thought when we learn we are creating life within us, we want to protect and promote those children's lives, but we also have to think very long and hard about our own abilities and passion, as not to confuse the feelings and never get our chance again to make the best decision.

While I am not in favor of any particular choice in parenting, after my own child coming while I was much older than you are, I would have done things very differently today.

20 is very young and I encourage you to turn to your family first, and use their experience to guide and support you. I hope your relationship supports that kind of communication. Please let us know what happens next, best to you...

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
(female)

RachieO HB User

I'm going to be having a meeting with my college tutor on Wed to discuss all my options as regards college but I am hoping to get this year finished anyway and maybe take on a heavier workload. I might take a year out next year and then see what I do after.

Thank You for Your Input

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-03-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Unnecessary info and disallowed topic deleted.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
(female)

RachieO HB User

Hi guys!

I thought I would give a little update on where I am. I am now 20 weeks pregnant with twins. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. I'm quite big for where I am in my pregnancy and the doctors feel this is because of my type 1 diabetes.

My boyfriend was, like me, shocked when he first found out but is now looking forward to the birth of our twins. I found out last week we were expecting girls. I have given up college indefinitely and plan to raise my girls and see where life takes me. My boyfriend will be able to support us and his family and my family have both told us that they will give us all the support we need both financially and emotionally.

I have had what seems to be every scan under the sun and the surgery that I had in my early pregnancy has had no ill effects on my girls. This makes me so so happy. Sadly, the same cannot be soda for the effect my diabetes is having on the pregnancy.

I have always had fantastic blood sugar control but this has gone out the window since conceiving. My blood sugar tends to be higher than normal when I eat which means I take more insulin however the pregnancy has made me extremely insulin sensitive meaning that even the smallest amoun of insulin can make my sugars fall dramatically. This has led to a number of dangerously low blood sugars that have left me almost unconscious and unfortunately three weeks ago I was left unconscious by extremely low blood sugar.

My boyfriend found me passed out on our bedroom floor when he returned home from working a night shift. Thankfully he knew exactly what to do but even when I came around with the paramedics there I was petrified that I had lost the babies in the collapse. A later scan in the hospital showed that they were fine but that episode and a number of successive low blood sugars and then really high sugars meant that I had to be admitted to the hospitals last weekend where my diabetes can be closely monitored and medical help is close at hand. I may have to stay here for the duration of my pregnancy to ensure safe delivery.

I'm extremely down about this: now is the time that I should be spending at home with my boyfriend preparing our house for the birth of our girls but because of diabetes I'm stuck in the hospital.

Well! That's my update! Hoping some of you other 2013
Mommies can chime in as I'll be needing the company in the next few weeks!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

oh Rachel, sorry to hear this!! You hang in there and get good care from the hospital for yourself and your little girls. Of course you're down, anyone would be. ((HUGS))

Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
(female)

joemamma22 HB User
Smile Re: Young Mommy to be and really scared

I hope everything is going well with you and the girls. That is great that you have such a supportive boyfriend and family. Best of luck to you guys

Old 06-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
(female)

ctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB User

Congrats to you! I am a 2013 Mommy, due Oct 4th. I cant wait for my little man to be here. William Matthew and we are calling him Liam.
This was not a planned pregnancy either, but is very wanted by me. Me and my husband split up and he moved out even though he knew I was pregnant. I never thought twice about keeping the baby but not having an emotional support from him is hard! I do have a lot of great friends and family, but its not the same.
I worry if I can give him everything he needs, but know he will have lots of love from me and his big sister (she is almost 7 and super excited).
Wow, the collapsing would scare me to death! It is good you are being watched so close and those babies are safe. So there is no warning? You just pass out? What do they do for it in the hospital?
If you ever need to talk, you can message me. I work from home so I am home a lot.
Again Congrats fellow Mommy! btw when are you due?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
(female)

RachieO HB User

Another update and one I wished I wouldn't be writing for at least a few more weeks. Last Tuesday, after I suffered a seizure due to low blood sugar while showering in the hospital, my waters broke. Once the waters break the babies had to be born so I terrified and exhausted went into premature labour. I was on my own when it happened and this meant that my boyfriend and family only and a short amount of time to arrive. I gave birth to my beautiful baby girls- Arabella and Sophia after 4 hours. Arabella weighed 2 lbs 4 ounces and Sophia 2 lbs. They are in the nicu and both ventilated.

The girls are doing ok. Sadly, blood tests carried after their birth and in the last few days have shown that little Sophia has type 1 diabetes. Something she inherited from me. I feel so so guilty about this. I have been diabetic for a long time and it means that I know what Sophia will have to endure. Injections 6 times per day, 10 finger pricks a day and countless high and low blood sugars. I am so upset by this. Apart from this the girls do not have any other major health issues and are expected to survive.

I myself am doing ok. My blood sugars have improved since the girls were born and insulin has a more normal effect on me. I'm so scared and worried for the girls though.

That's all for now. Thanks for the lovely replies to my previous update.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: RachieO
ctrue (06-16-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
(female)

joemamma22 HB User

Keep your head up It may be a struggle for her but just let her know how much shes loved. It goes along way Im glad everyone is doing well

Reply Reply