It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
jimbrown

Question Best treatments for chronic prostatitis?

Hi

My UTI is back again and I believe this whole thing began after I had taken entirely way too many antibiotics for well over a month - including many different types of antibiotics.

Anyway, I did have epididymitis, testicular pain, etc but it went away after a lengthy course of Cipro (20 days). The last time I saw the doc he discovered a small number of "white cells" in my urine and I was put on Doxycycline (which I had to discontinue due to side effects).

Well, for the last couple of days I've noticed that after I ejaculate (and when I urinate after ejaculating), there is some irritation in my prostate and urethra. It's not really a "burning" sensation as much as it is just a feeling like something is irritating, scraping or perhaps stinging me up there. It is not excruciatingly painful or any anything but it is definately uncomfortable. At no time have they every found any bacteria from a UA or culture.

Anyway, now my urine is fairly dark and concentrated but I can't just keep taking antibiotics forever and most of the hocus pokus remedies like "ground up frog livers" or "extract of lizard toenail", etc are nothing but so much fluff and a scam. I need something that is really going to work for me and I've already been drinking a lot of cranberry juice (to no avail).

Is this just something I'm going to have to live with?. Is there anything at all I can do to at least make myself more comfortable or perhaps even get rid of this thing forever without popping pills every day?. My doctors down at the clinic are nice but my urologist is just about the rudest, nastiest person I think I've ever met and because of my insurance, he is the only one I can get unfortunately.

Thank's

[This message has been edited by jimbrown (edited 05-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2003, 09:00 PM   #2

MonicaAlabama HB User
I just thought about something, my husband has the same problems with prostate, and he kept thinking it was the same thing coming back again, until it got so bad, he thought he was dying. The pain you described, is what he felt and finally went to the ER. They did a Cat Scan on him, and found out he has kidney stones, it will cause the pain, and feel like something is scrapping or stinging. Have you been tested for this? Just an idea, hope you get well.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:12 PM   #3

Horsefly HB User
I had chronic prostatitis once. Nothing seemed to help it. Then I developed divertiticulitus and was given some antibiotics for that. It cleaned the divertiticulitous up and cleaned up the chronic prostatitus at the same time. It was an inexpensive antibiotic, been around for awhile but I am sorry I do not remember the name of it.

Old 05-11-2003, 10:22 PM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If the urine does not grow any bacteria when they culture it then it is NOT a UTI and antibiotics are not indicated. You mentioned your urine being dark and concentrated which tells me that you are not drinking enough fluids. You need to increase your fluids to help keep the bacteria flushed out of your bladder. The other discomfort/scraping could be caused by any number of things but without doing specific x-rays or tests it is hard to tell what is going on. Some of your discomfort could be caused just by not drinking enough fluids to keep your urine diluted. You might want to consider taking Vitamin C as well as drinking cranberry juice routinely or taking cranberry capsules to help with some of your bladder problems. Also since some of the discomfort is noted after ejaculation I would hold off on sex for a while and see if that doesn't help along with the extra fluids.

Closed Thread