It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2004, 08:12 AM   #1

PapaJoe HB User
Unhappy PROSTATITIS: Masturbate or not?. Caffeine or not?

I keep hearing/reading that you should masturbate frequently if you have prostatitis to keep the prostate drained and to prevent fluids from building up and collecting bacteria. Then I hear/read that masturbating only irritates the prostate and should never be done. Who is right and why should I or should I not masturbate?. What are the pros/cons of mnastuerbating while suffering a bout of prostatitis?. What do you all do?.

Another thing. I am one of those caffeine freaks who drinks about a pot of coffee each day (well almost). Anyway, several days ago I read that caffeine could irritate the prostate and so I stopped drinking my beloved coffee cold turkey. It has NOT been fun and all I can think about lately is a nice, steaming mug of coffee. Is it because I'm taking Cipro that I should not drink anything with caffeine in it or is it because I have prostatitis that I should not drink caffenated products?. The nurse told me that caffeine was a vasoconstrictor. I'm thinking that if there is no real harm in having a cup of coffee and it does not interfere with Cipro's ability to penetrate the prostate and clear up my prostatitis, I would at least like to have a cup every once in awhile. I mean, I'm already suffering from this thing plus side effects from meds, painful sex, etc. I'd at least like to be able to enjoy a cup of coffee now and then.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

JAYB HB User
Re: PROSTATITIS: Masturbate or not?. Caffeine or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJoe
I keep hearing/reading that you should masturbate frequently if you have prostatitis to keep the prostate drained and to prevent fluids from building up and collecting bacteria. Then I hear/read that masturbating only irritates the prostate and should never be done. Who is right and why should I or should I not masturbate?. What are the pros/cons of mnastuerbating while suffering a bout of prostatitis?. What do you all do?.
I've had prostatitis a couple of times. Sometimes ejaculations are beneficial when you're on the antibiotics, because it rids the body of the possibly infected semen, and the antibiotic can penetrate the prostate more effectively. It really depends on the man. Some guys will find it painful to ejaculate while having prostatitis, and others won't. You have to see what works for you.

Quote:
Another thing. I am one of those caffeine freaks who drinks about a pot of coffee each day (well almost). Anyway, several days ago I read that caffeine could irritate the prostate and so I stopped drinking my beloved coffee cold turkey. It has NOT been fun and all I can think about lately is a nice, steaming mug of coffee. Is it because I'm taking Cipro that I should not drink anything with caffeine in it or is it because I have prostatitis that I should not drink caffenated products??.
Again, this is one of those things that depends upon the man. Caffeine and juices can irritate the prostate in some men, and others it has no effect on them. You have to go by how you feel with caffeine. As far as the Cipro goes, I wouldn't think that taking that antibiotic means no drinking coffee. I'm not aware of any interactions between caffeine and Cipro.
Quote:
The nurse told me that caffeine was a vasoconstrictor. I'm thinking that if there is no real harm in having a cup of coffee and it does not interfere with Cipro's ability to penetrate the prostate and clear up my prostatitis, I would at least like to have a cup every once in awhile. I mean, I'm already suffering from this thing plus side effects from meds, painful sex, etc. I'd at least like to be able to enjoy a cup of coffee now and then.
If you like coffee that much, have it and enjoy it. I don't think one cup a day would worsen your condition. Again, it depends upon the guy. Try one cup and see if you're worse. If you're fine, have two cups, and so on. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #3

PapaJoe HB User

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my message. My freind just left to pick up some non-dairy creamer to use with my decaf coffee. Before I had the opportunity to read your wonderful reply, I had called the pharm and he said that he really did'nt see a prob with having a cup of coffee but I should'nt be gulping down gallons of it or anything. I also can't have any dairy products with the Cipro I'm taking but he said a non-dairy creamer should be ok. I hope other people here who suffer from this horrible condition will be helped by this. Decaf coffee and non-dairy creamer. That's your "ticket" if your a coffee drinker with prostatitis - just don't overdo it.

I might as well throw in that I've been on Cipro for about 3 days now and my prostate STILL hurts (especially when I get up and move around). I was thinking that it would go away after about 3-4 days on the Cipro but I guess not. Also, I have a question: how do you describe the pain that comes with prostatitis?.

* Dull, intermittant ache
* Sharp, stabbing pain
* Throbbing
* Needle-like pains
* Like a toothache
* Crampy feeling
* Bloated, bowel movement feeling down there

To me, it feels like a mild to moderate crampy feeling with pressure when I'm sitting still and once in awhile I get a moderately sharp, needle-like spike of pain that goes through me down there. When I get up and move around, it's even worse. How painful can these things get?. Can they ache and throb like a bad toothache or are they usually fairly mild?. I had one a few years ago but can't remember exactly what I went through because I tried to put it out of my mind. the best way to desacribe how I feel is that it's like I have to have a really bad bowel movement all the time and there is a very large/sharp peice of feces in me.

Well, I'm off to enjoy my first cup of coffee in 3 days

Last edited by PapaJoe; 09-19-2004 at 10:48 AM.

Old 09-19-2004, 04:47 PM   #4

PapaJoe HB User

Thank you for your helpful reply. Well, today I had my first cup of coffee with non-dairy creamer in 3 days and it was wounderful. Then I took a very hot sitz bath which is where you sit in a tub of warm water and soak for awhile. I also took this opportunity to bathe for the first time in several days and as I was rinsing off my shaft and squeezing it upward to get any trapped soap, I noticed some precum ooze out of the tip. Since I had'nt been fondling myself or anything, I assume the warmth of the water was enough to drawl the fluid up through my shaft. Maybe this is a good thing?. I sure hope so.

I also did some cleaning around the house, bathed my animals and had a good dinner. I have found that a combination of long-term treatment with Cipro, NSAIDS like Motrin or Alleve to reduce pain and inflammation and hot sitz baths helps alleviate some of the symptoms of prostatitis. Every other day I also like to eat a yogurt to replenish the natural flora in my "gut" that might have been compromized by the Cipro. I also keep a bottle of cranberry juice in the fridge but I HATE cranberry juice and seldom get up the nerve to drink it.

I was in some pretty bad pain this morning (I woke up very early) but then went back tio bed and woke up with much less pain. Today has been a "good" day as far as pain is concerned but it still feels like my prostrate is a huge, swollen balloon that's ready to burst. I wonder if my seminal vesicles are also swollen?. Yuk!.

The last time I had prostatitis, I was'nt sure what I had at the time and let it go too long without treatment. It spread from my urinary tract (UTI) up to my prostrate (prostatitis) and then to my semial vesicles (seminal vesiculitis). Then, it traveled down my vas to my left epididymous (epididymitis) and eventually caused a hydrocele to form on my left testicle. Then, it went over to the left epididymous and caused problems there as well as a hydrocele. Before I finally sought treatment, I was having bladder spasms, kidney pain and abdominal distress. My days were awful and fill with plenty of pain. What's scary is that lately my left side has begun to really get sore again. Finally, I spent the night in the ER undergoing a multitude of tests and finally got treated. What an adventure!.

Anyway, that's my story.

The Following User Says Thank You to PapaJoe For This Useful Post:
SVXX (04-30-2012)
Old 09-19-2004, 05:03 PM   #5
Inactive

Lyrics HB User

What's a hydrocele and what does it look/feel like?

Old 09-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #6

PapaJoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrics
What's a hydrocele and what does it look/feel like?
A hydrocele is an accumulation of fluid around the testicle in response to infection or some other cause. In my particular case, it was due to an underlying UTI that had spread. It was not painful but quite scary until I found out that they are quite normal and usually harmless. Lots of guys get them for no obvious reason and don't even know it unless they feel themselves down there.

Sorry, had to edit for typos.

Last edited by PapaJoe; 09-19-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Closed Thread