It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

PagesOfTime HB User
Prostatitis Treatment Questions...

I was diagnosed with chronic prostatitis (still not sure on this), and given Levaquin for 30 days just the other day. I was also given 30 days of ibuprofen 800mg by a different doctor.

The questions are:

- is it ok to take both the antibiotics and the anti-inflammatory together?

- if i take an anti-inflammatory and don't notice any improvement, should I continue? Is it a gradual improvement, or is it just temp relief?

My only real problem is urination hesitancy, but it's BAD!! Crippling this early in life. Any advise is greatly appreciated. (My original thread is on this page too, but it's really long...trying to cut to the chase this time). Any advise would be great!

Old 08-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
(male)

Floxed HB User
Re: Prostatitis Treatment Questions...

Hi there,

First, no it is not OK to take those meds together. The combination of NSAID's and fluoroquinolone antibiotics (like Levaquin, Cipro, Avelox, etc...) is contraindicated in the full prescribing information due to the fact that the NSAID's will exacerbate the deleterious effects that fluoroquinolones have on the central nervous system. Seizures and other unpleasant problems can result.

That said, I now feel the urge to warn you regarding the Levaquin itself. I am 25 years old and was given 20 days of Levaquin 19 months ago. In short, it ruined my life, completely and possibly permanently. It caused severe non-abating damage to every tendon and muscle in my body, nerve damage, severe fatigue, memory loss, depersonalization, and too many other long-term problems to really list here. Side effects from fluoroquinolones can come on months after the drug has been discontinued, and can persist for years or even be permanent.

In my opinion, and given the fact that I've read well over 1,000 stories written by other victims of this class of drugs (some of the stories are too terrible to even comprehend), these drugs should only be prescribed as a last resort in life or death cases. In fact, many of these drugs were approved by the FDA with the caveat that they would only be prescribed when the presence of an infection which is resistant to other antibiotics has been confirmed. Unfortunately, doctors have not been educated as to this fact, nor have most of them been educated about the risks associated with fluoroquinolone use.

If you can, I would highly recommend asking your doctor for a different antibiotic from another class, and if he/she refuses, find yourself a different doctor; any doctor who is willing to negligently put the health of their patient at risk is not worthy of the letters that follow their name. Barring that, I strongly suggest doing some research into what you are planning on putting in your body. There is a lot of information out there.

I wish every single day that someone had told me this a couple of years ago; the pain I suffer with daily is horrific and would have been unimaginable before this happened. In short, I'd still have my life, which is why I take the time now to find others before it's too late.

Please take care.

Last edited by Floxed; 08-13-2006 at 05:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
(male)

agray100 HB User

I've taken quinalones and have not found them to be much help. Good old doxycycline has helped me in the past (three bouts of it so far). And the good news is that there shouldn't be a problem taking ibuprofen with it (check with your doctor).

Old 08-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
(male)

PagesOfTime HB User

Thanks for the advise so far.

I was actually given doxycycline for 10 days, and that took care of the infection I had in my urethra. However, it made my anxiety skyrocket. I only slept about an hour a night, for the whole time, and several days afterwards, and almost suffered a complete nervous breakdown. I'd be terrified to go back to that one.

Now my main question though, is what exactly is the role of anti-inflammatorys with this? Are they just temp relief for 8 hours? Will taking them for 30 days straight help me on a more permanent level, or will it just relieve some pain for 30 days and then go back to normal?

Last edited by PagesOfTime; 08-13-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
(male)

agray100 HB User

Good question. Standard treatment is two months of antibiotics
(yes, two months). The prostate is a difficult gland to get the antibiotics into. There is also an anti-inflammatory effect in antibiotics. So the theory is that the antibiotics will fight both the infection and the inflammation.

Here are some things I have tried that helps. Hot baths. If you have a whirlpool, even better. OTC anti-inflammatory medication (Alleve, ibuprofen, whatever you prefer). I'm a bike rider and take an Alleve after every ride. I also take a Saw Palmetto pill every day.

When things go bad, I visit my local urologist for Doxycycline. Fortunately, it does not adversely affect me, but my last bout with this condition I was on it for almost six months.

Good luck. It takes patience. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Closed Thread