It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
(male)

calc76 HB User
Chronic Prostatitis Advice Needed

Hello,

I'm a 30 year old male who has been pigeonholed by three different urologists into a diagnosis of "chronic nonbacterial prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome." My only symptoms are painful ejaculation (if I ejaculate for three or four days in a row straight it goes away, but will return if I stop) and occasional burning urination.

The only test one doctor performed is a PSA, and my result was 1.7, which he said was elevated for my age, but still normal. He also said that the PSA reading was not necessarily an indicator of prostate cancer because prostatitis often raises the PSA. The urologists I went to basically performed a rectal exam and said that everything is fine; that I am too young for prostate cancer. There is a mild family history - my maternal grandfather had prostate cancer, but he was in his mid 70s when diagnosed. My father is fine - perfectly normal, according to him.

Unfortunately, that's all they can do. I've done two 30 day trips on Cipro, one 30 day trip on Levaquin, and 60 days on an herbal treatment called Quercetin (not while on the antibiotics). I've also been given a Medrol Dose Pack (oral steroids) and a urological anti-inflammatory drug that one urologist claims "might break the cycle." I'm skeptical.

Nothing's helped. My pain isn't severe, but it's been increasing (very slightly, hope it's not my imagination) for almost nine months now. I won't be dramatic and say this is ruining my life, but I'd sure like to get this under control.

I've done a lot of reading and there are so many conflicting reports that I don't know what to believe. It seems that NONE of my doctors really know what to do with this, and I want to make sure they're not making a fatal mistake or anything like that.

Are there are chronic prostatitis sufferers out there who actually get this under control? Or anybody that knows anything about this? If so, please help! I'm getting desperate to do SOMETHING about this.

Thanks much.

Last edited by calc76; 12-31-2006 at 06:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
(male)

doj HB User
Re: Chronic Prostatitis Advice Needed

I Started having prostate infections when I was about 36, and had them periodically for the next 15 years or so, then began to have them more frequently, until three years ago when I had 3 within a year. My urologist finally told me I needed a TURP because with each new case, I was increasingly more ill. So, in January, 2005, I had the TURP. I had stones in the prostate which were most likely the cause. When I went back for a checkup a few weeks later, he told me that I had prostate cancer. You might ask your Urologist about doing a TURP to see if that would help.

doj

Closed Thread