It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
(male)

nofuninsuds HB User
Unhappy How long does it take for prostatitis to be cured?

Hi

I'm a 44 year old male who has a history of coming down with prostatitis from time to time but it has been a good while since I had my last bout. However, recently, I did come down with prostatitis and was prescribed Cipro (500mg 2x per day). At first, the Cipro seemed to be working but last night I got really stupid and drank a whole case of beer (12 beers!) and as I was drinking my prostate began feeling a little sore (sort of like having a golfball inside your rectum) and then this morning, it is bothering me even more. Is it normal for alcohol to aggravate prostatitis?.

Also, how long does it take for the Cipro to actually cure this thing?. I was on it for 7 days, then quit for 1-2 days and went back on it again for 4 days and am still taking it. Are we talking a week or so here or is this something that is going to take months and months to get rid of?.

Finally, the last time I had prostatitis, I was given Cipro (500mg) and then Cipro (1,000mg) Extended Release Tabs. I had lots of side effects but after over a month I really didn't see where I was getting cured and so my doctor prescribed Levaquin (which DID work but both of my feet were numb for 3-4 months afterwards). Sadly, my insurance will no longer pay for Levaquin so I was wondering if I could maybe get the pharmaceutical company to give me the Levaquin for free (I know they sometimes do this but I'm not sure what all is involved). Also, maybe I could get some samples?.

Well, sorry this is so long. Any help, input, advice, etc would be tremendously appreciated as I am getting a bit desperate here.

- Thank you, NFIS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
(male)

lucky427 HB User
Re: How long does it take for prostatitis to be cured?

Golf-ball-in-the-rectum pain can be muscular. Ask your doctor about chronic pelvic pain syndrome and the stanford protocal. If you are on antibioitics you should have had a postive bacterial culture. If the pain is muscular, the antibiotics arent going to do much.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
(male)

thekeith HB User

I have prosatitus and my urologist told me that its like arthritis , you have it, and you might always have it and it comes and goes and wont kill you
he was that blunt.
First time I saw him he prescribed the cipro as well, a very small amount, , like 10 pills or so.
I had all the classic symtoms, felt like I had to go pee ALL the time, or even worse, felt like I had been holding it for days only for it to be a 5 second pee.
Stream uneven, start and stop, and occasional shooting pain in testicles.

SO yeah, he gave me the pills.

SO I go see a general doctor about something else and mention the anti-biotics..
He was shocked that I was given so little ( and also you can see on the web that long term treatment is sometimes advised )

so he gave me about a months worth with no other info other then if I drink alcohol have water WITH it.

ok

so now I got a diff general doctor (I keep changing because I am not happy with anyones "bedside manner")

and he gives me prednasone for my pre-exisiting back pain.

well guess what?

persistant use of antibiotics AND prednasone or even JUST the antibiotcs is the perfect way to get a yeast infection, or a "candida" infection.

Antibiotics do not discriminate, they kill ALL bacteria.

So now I have prostatitus AND candida.

I CAN say that the nervous "I HAVE TO PEE RIGHT THE F*&^%K NOW" pain is gone, but I still have all the other symtoms.

I am not a doctor but I say lay off the antibiotics.

even though I have no idea if I am helping, i take saw palmetto and also garlic tablets just for fun.
the testical pain comes and goes and I was told to take hot baths, wear supportive underware and ejaculate frequently.

so thats my story so far, hope it helps a little

Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
(male)

G00se HB User

When I started the antibitoics, I felt better, then worse, then better, then worse with each worse being not as bad as the previous time. That seems to be a pretty normal recovery from prostatitis. My urologist told me that I would feel symptoms for 6 months.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

alcohol and nasal decongestants can definetly effect people with chronic prostatitis, chronic non-bacterial prostatitis, prostadynia, chronic pelvic pain, pelvic floor disfunction, chronic pelvic myoneuropathy or whatever your doctor or urologist may decide to call it because most doctors really don't know what it is or how to treat it. most people don't even have bacteria in urine. this condition can really screw with your sexual plumbing (erection problems, premature ejaculation, pain in rectum area (perinium), pain in testicles. I gotta run if anybody has any questions regarding this sort of condition just ask. I have had chronic pelvic pain for around 8 years with severe pain in pelvis and testicles. I also use pain management boards with healthboards.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #6
(male)

strobers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeith View Post
I have prosatitus and my urologist told me that its like arthritis , you have it, and you might always have it and it comes and goes and wont kill you
he was that blunt.
First time I saw him he prescribed the cipro as well, a very small amount, , like 10 pills or so.
I had all the classic symtoms, felt like I had to go pee ALL the time, or even worse, felt like I had been holding it for days only for it to be a 5 second pee.
Stream uneven, start and stop, and occasional shooting pain in testicles.

SO yeah, he gave me the pills.

SO I go see a general doctor about something else and mention the anti-biotics..
He was shocked that I was given so little ( and also you can see on the web that long term treatment is sometimes advised )

so he gave me about a months worth with no other info other then if I drink alcohol have water WITH it.

ok

so now I got a diff general doctor (I keep changing because I am not happy with anyones "bedside manner")

and he gives me prednasone for my pre-exisiting back pain.

well guess what?

persistant use of antibiotics AND prednasone or even JUST the antibiotcs is the perfect way to get a yeast infection, or a "candida" infection.

Antibiotics do not discriminate, they kill ALL bacteria.

So now I have prostatitus AND candida.

I CAN say that the nervous "I HAVE TO PEE RIGHT THE F*&^%K NOW" pain is gone, but I still have all the other symtoms.

I am not a doctor but I say lay off the antibiotics.

even though I have no idea if I am helping, i take saw palmetto and also garlic tablets just for fun.
the testical pain comes and goes and I was told to take hot baths, wear supportive underware and ejaculate frequently.

so thats my story so far, hope it helps a little
Ejaculating just makes my issues worse. I have refrained from all sexual activity. I'd rather never have sex again then feel like I have to void constantly. It's sheer torture. In fact, all my issues started right after masturbating. It's miserable.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
(male)

lucky427 HB User

It really sounds like you all have chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Its a muscular condition and is treatable with physical therapy. I would recommend Headache in the Pelvis by Dr. Anderson and Dr. Wise to get some information. And then search for physical therapists in your area that treat the condition. Best of luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
(male)

lars44 HB User

Geoffy

If you dont mind me asking, how old were you when you first had prostatitis, how bad do you find the symptoms when you get it, and would you say you live a normal life with it? I'm 32 and just come down with it, finding the pain (low abdomen, up the bum pain) very distressing and always feeling tired and more worried about not being able to lead a normal life. I am avoiding alcohol, caffine, spicy foods etc. and on a course of Doxy at the mo, but would be keen to hear how it has affected/changed your life, and work.... if at all?

Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
(male)

lucky427 HB User

gary,

i have had that type of pain and I got relief through physical therapy. Let me know if you have questions.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 AM   #10
(male)

lars44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky427 View Post
gary,

i have had that type of pain and I got relief through physical therapy. Let me know if you have questions.
I've just ordered that book ive read so many good things about (A pain in the Pelvis), I assume its the kind of things in there which will help. I've read of people actually curing their prostatitis with this book.....?

Old 06-25-2007, 04:00 AM   #11
(male)

lars44 HB User

.. deleted , multiple post

Last edited by lars44; 06-25-2007 at 04:01 AM.

Closed Thread