It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
(male)

Demonocracy HB User
perplexing case of Chronic non-bacterial prostatitis?

I have a problem and it does not seem to be following any regular pattern. I have read extensively on the subject and through websites such as this but still my symptoms seem slightly unique, although maybe i have been looking in the wrong places or for the wrong answers.

I'll start briefly with my past. I am 23 years of age and a recovering alcoholic. My worst years of abuse were between the age of 18 - 22. The last year or so of my alcoholism, I suffered from a bruised feeling in my liver and sharp pains from the area of my pancreas but if I stopped drinking for a few days that would go away and for the past year those problems have almost disapeared completely. It was around the same time as my liver pains were at thier worst that after a heavy nights drinking I would sometimes get sharp stabbing pains in the area of my bladder and a couple more months on I also started getting the trademark lightning bolt feeling from the area I now know is my prostate. That pain was the worst of all and would sometimes travel the length of my penis. It was about this time ( a year ago ) that I made some serious lifestyle changes and even managed to overcome my alcohol problem, and as a result my body gradually returned to a state of what felt like good health.

It was about 10 weeks ago now that I first noticed something was wrong whilst driving into work, and the reason it caught my attention so much was that I had been pain free for so long. It was the sharp stabbing bladder pains that had returned, but I had not been drinking! I only ever had these pains after drinking in the past. I did not take any action at this time though, i'm no stranger to the odd pain or twinge. Gradually, over the next two weeks a feeling of sensivtivity of the skin on my back developed and added to the pain from my bladder came a similar dull aching in my right kidney. This is when I first visited my GP and she took a urine cultures sample and prescribed anti-biotics to treat what she thought was a urinary infection. A week went by and the test results came back negative for infection and the anti-biotics had not helped. At this point my kidney pain had spread to the left kidney but my right kidney was hurting much worse, so bad in fact that I went to A+E as I thought maybe its a kidney stone. They did a blood test and urine test and everything came back normal but they told me I was not showing typical Kidney stone symptons so they sent me home.
I spent another week at home resting hoping for things to improve but I went back to A+E as my GP was on holiday for 3 weeks and the stand in GP told me to wait for her to get back!! This time in A+E I had the usual blood and urine tests but they reffered me for a CT scan to rule out a stone. The results from that came back normal other than a slighlty enlarged right kidney and the Doctor told me this could be due to blockage in the Ureter. This was about Four weeks ago and now added to my pains are the Sharp prostate pains and also an aching pain about 1cm to the right of my spine and about 4 inches above the lowest rib in my back. In the exact same spot that my back pain started a small sensitive lump about the size of 50mg tablet appeared.
Another couple of weeks pass and due to lost refferals and other issues, I get a refferal to see a urologist in 8 weeks time. I have already been off work for a month with the pain and by now i'm worried that I could have something as bad a bladder cancer because of the way it has spread to my back. I decided to see a private urologist and he did a DRE and said that my prostate was sore and that I would be in the Guiness book of World Records if I had bladder cancer at 23, but he also said that prostatitis could not cause the problems I am having in my back. He has got me taking Saw Palmetto and all the normal dietary changes associated with prostatitis. I am also taking tramadol hydrochloride to help with the pain.

My symptoms now are as follows:
Bladder Pains
Prostate pains
Lower back pain ( aching )
Moderate Kidney pain that comes and goes
Upper back pain that is spreading up the back to my neck and under my shoulder blades, all that seems to have started from or radiate outwards from the small lump on my back

I am concerned and have a few questions, or maybe somebody out there has had similar problems and may know what is happening to me.

Can prostatitis cause in any way a kidney to become waterlogged or blocked ?
Can a swollen kidney cause infection in the back or spinal region ?
Can anyone see a possible link between my urological problems and my back problems ? the only link I have been able to make is a cancer that has metastasised into my back.

Thank you

Thomas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User
Re: perplexing case of Chronic non-bacterial prostatitis?

Prostatitis can cause some of these symptoms. You could also have a disk pushing on the nerves or muscular tension.

I agree with your Uro: the chances of you having bladder cancer are virtually zero.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
(male)

Demonocracy HB User
Re: perplexing case of Chronic non-bacterial prostatitis?

Just wanted to update my first message. Over the past month I have followed the normal dietary changes suggested by my doctor ( no alcohol, spicy or acidic foods ) and am taking saw palmetto, but that can take a while to help if at all so i'm told . My prostate is not causing me as much pain as it was although it still aches but my bladder is still very painfull and the pain has spread to the muscles of my abdomen. I also have some sore and swollen bits just under the skin which might be the lympth nodes. My kidneys are alot better now and have not swollen once in the last 5 weeks but I think that pain was from something blocking the ureter. The lump on my spine between my shoulders is about the same size and still aches in exactly the same way that my bladder does, like a constant pulsing pain so no change with that.
I am finding it alot easier now to pass urine although still quite often and no blood at all which I was told to look out for.

Closed Thread