It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
(male)

Type-SH HB User
prostatitis......... HELP ME

hi, i'm new to this board, the reason i registered is because of the problem i've been experiencing for the past month.

I'm a 23 yr old male. One month ago, i experienced an episode of blood in my semen and ever since then i've had symptoms that is very similar to prostatitis. I had frequent urination, burning feelings, low sex drive, bloated feelings in the penis, sharp pains, minor back pains, etc etc. I went to the doctors, had blood and urine test (all came back normal), and had the rectum test, and he said it was somewhat swollen. he said tat i have prostatitis, but didn't tell me which type it was, and after researching on the web, i believe i have NONBACTERIAL PROSTATITIS. My doctor put me on an antibiotics called novo-norfloxacin for 2 weeks. Tommorrow will be the end of the 2 weeks, and i have only improved very slightly. I am so worried and bothered by all this as i've read many stories about it, and no 1 seems to have cured yet. I gotta say this is the worst feeling in life, it has completely destroyed me. I can't sit or stand for long, and when i lie down, sometimes i will get a bloated feeling inside the penis as if something wants to come out. I don't know how i got prostatitis, because in general, i'm a pretty healthy person. However i've read that too frequent or infrequent ejaculation or sitting for too long can cause prostatitis. I believe i irritated the prostate from too frequent ejaculation along with sitting for long periods of time and stress (due to studying). BTW, i haven't had my appointment with my urologist yet because i'm in Canada and there's no such thing as private health care. In general i'm a fairly healthy person, don't know if that has to do with prostate problems, but yea.

Can some1 provide me with some answers to prostatitis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
(male)

dreamer54 HB Userdreamer54 HB User
Re: prostatitis......... HELP ME

I`ve had prostate problems for years and the hardest problem seems to be finding a decent Urologist. Most will throw some anti-biotics at you and say come back in 6 months, you`ll be fine. Recently, I had a nasty bout with my Prostate once again, aches, pains and high fever. I returned to my new Urologist who once again put me on Cipro, 1000mg daily for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks were up I returned to him to be checked again. He took the normal urine sample and said my urine was "clean". My comment to him was, "then why do I still feel crappy " ? I proceeded to tell him I had been researching Prostatitis on the internet and most men with "problem cases" of Prostatitis are treated LONG TERM, for at least 5-6 weeks with either Cipro or Levaquin. He told me "yes, we can do that too" !

What is wrong with these so called doctors when the patient has to do their own research and tell THEM what to do ???? My suggestions to you are to discuss a longer term of anti-biotic treatment with your doctor. Do some of your own research and I believe you`ll see that problem / persistant cases of Prostatitis require stronger anti-biotics such as the ones I mentioned as well as longer times being treated. Infections in the Prostate can be very hard to cure. And don`t hesitate looking for another doctor if yours won`t sit down and give you answers. You`re paying THEM good money for good service. Ask your local Pharmacist for a recommendation if you can`t find a good one. They deal with doctors all the time and know who is better then the rest. Good Luck !

The Following User Says Thank You to dreamer54 For This Useful Post:
cpilotw (02-08-2012)
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
(male)

Type-SH HB User

thanks for the info dreamer54. so r u feeling atleast 60% better than when u first got prostatitis?? Since u said u had fevers, i assume u had bacterial prostatitis, rite? In my case, i don't get fevers, i just get the typical symptoms. You know after you finish voiding, you tend to tighten up your muscles. When you do that, do you feel a very rough and soar feeling? do you kno what causes that (is it an infection?)

Do you get muscle spasm inside your penis at unexpected times?

Old 08-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
(male)

agray100 HB User

I'm another guy who has had bouts of prostatitis over the years. I try and stay away from quinilones and take good old doxycycline. It has fewer side effects and it works just as well (and much cheaper). The problem with prostatitis is that 2 weeks of antibiotics are not enough. The "book" says a six week course is needed, and don't be surprised if an additional six weeks is needed.

Other things that have helped me. Frequent hot baths. Relieve the pressure on your tender areas by sitting on a doughnut, or cushions so that the perinium has no pressure. Don't go bike riding (that really hurts me!). Avoid caffeine and spicy foods. Ibuprofen or Alleve helps. And the best thing to do is ejaculate frequently. It helps to relieve the congestion in the prostate.

Don't get depressed. You'll need patience, but after awhile you'll notice that you feel back to normal.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
(male)

Type-SH HB User

thanks for your advice. i do realize that antibiotics may take more than 2 weeks, however i've read that even taking many weeks of antibiotics, it still doesn't completely cure the problem, is that true?

rite now i'm taking some chinese herbal medicine rather than antibiotics because antibiotics seem to make matters worst.

i'm just wondering, does age have anything to do with the healing process? (btw i'm a 23 yr old male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agray100 View Post
I'm another guy who has had bouts of prostatitis over the years. I try and stay away from quinilones and take good old doxycycline. It has fewer side effects and it works just as well (and much cheaper). The problem with prostatitis is that 2 weeks of antibiotics are not enough. The "book" says a six week course is needed, and don't be surprised if an additional six weeks is needed.

Other things that have helped me. Frequent hot baths. Relieve the pressure on your tender areas by sitting on a doughnut, or cushions so that the perinium has no pressure. Don't go bike riding (that really hurts me!). Avoid caffeine and spicy foods. Ibuprofen or Alleve helps. And the best thing to do is ejaculate frequently. It helps to relieve the congestion in the prostate.

Don't get depressed. You'll need patience, but after awhile you'll notice that you feel back to normal.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
(male)

dreamer54 HB Userdreamer54 HB User

Type-SH,

I guess my condition is a bit different then yours because I don`t have the same sore feeling as you. Many times I will get twinges of pain on the tip of my penis when my prostate is bothering me. I believe my Prostatitis is the bacterial type and I do feel 100% better after a course of anti-biotics however Doxycycline does not work well for me. I have gone as long as a year with no problems and then for no reason, I get a flare up. I`m also not sure about the theory that more frequent sex/ masturbation helps the Prostate. I have found that it is sometimes better not to ejaculate when i`m feeling bad and to wait until the aches and pains go away. Everyone is different though.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
(male)

agray100 HB User

Good point. Everyone is different and each person will have a different response to medication or procedures. My urologist explained that anti-biotics have an anti-inflammatory effect, so they may work by reducing the inflammation. Trouble is, the prostate gets little blood flow and it's difficult to get any type of medication there. That's why frequent ejaculation helps. It removes the congestion and allows the prostate to replenish itself.

My urologist also suggested doing Kegel exercises. it strengthens the muscles in the area of the prostate and can actually help reduce the pain and pressure. I tried it, and whether it was a coincidence or not, it helped.

Bottom line, you have to find the right combination of therapies that work for you. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
(male)

Type-SH HB User

thanks for the advices, agray100 and dreamer54.

i haven't masturbated for a week or so as i realized that if i ejaculate, i get more pain in the penis for the next day or so. also, i don't get aroused easily and don't feel the need to masturbate. Sometimes i am just paranoid to masturbate because ALL my problems came after i experienced blood in my semen. Is it bad for the prostate if i dont' ejaculate for like 2 weeks?????

just wondering, did u guys just all of a sudden got the symptoms of prostatitis? i believe i got it from too much stress at school combined with too frequent ejaculation.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
(male)

beggerX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-SH View Post

i haven't masturbated for a week or so as i realized that if i ejaculate, i get more pain in the penis for the next day or so. also, i don't get aroused easily and don't feel the need to masturbate. Sometimes i am just paranoid to masturbate because ALL my problems came after i experienced blood in my semen. Is it bad for the prostate if i dont' ejaculate for like 2 weeks?????

just wondering, did u guys just all of a sudden got the symptoms of prostatitis? i believe i got it from too much stress at school combined with too frequent ejaculation.
Hi, I am new to this forum, I think I have nonbacterial prostatitis. 5 days ago, I accidentally touched the part (prostate?) above the penis and below the bladder during shower, and I felt a sharp bloated pain. I ignored the symptom for 2 days, but the bloated feeling in the prostate was getting stronger. I masturbated @ night, and the bloated feeling was gone (my semen looked completely normal, and I felt normal during ejaculation). After the masturbation, I have some weird feelings (kind of...sore and very uncomfortable) in the whole area below the bladder (perineum, prostate and testicles etc). After mid-night, things get worsen and I need to unrinate every 30 mins and I couldnt hold the urge to urinate. I felt normal during urinating but had some burning feeling in the penis several mins after (the feeling could last quite long). All these symptoms (mild) are presistent now and get worsen if I sit more than 30 mins. I think we all have different symptoms...but the origin of the problem might be the same...

I visited my family doc. today, and he gave me novo-norfloxacin. I think I have non-bacterial prostatitis, the causes might be sitting for too long (I sit all day), and too frequent ejaculation...and yes, I feel very stressful about school, and I am 24 yrs ago. I got the above symptoms all of a sudden.

I think masturbation may help, because it seems to relieve the congested feeling in my prostate. But I do that only when I have the bloated feeling. I think prostatitis may be related to "too frequent or infrequent ejaculation ", and I need to learn what's the "right frequency".

Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
(male)

beggerX HB User

Quote:

Hi, I am new to this forum, I think I have nonbacterial prostatitis. 5 days ago, I accidentally touched the part (prostate?) above the penis and below the bladder during shower, and I felt a sharp bloated pain. I ignored the symptom for 2 days, but the bloated feeling in the prostate was getting stronger. I masturbated @ night, and the bloated feeling was gone (my semen looked completely normal, and I felt normal during ejaculation). After the masturbation, I have some weird feelings (kind of...sore and very uncomfortable) in the whole area below the bladder (perineum, prostate and testicles etc). After mid-night, things get worsen and I need to unrinate every 30 mins and I couldnt hold the urge to urinate. I felt normal during urinating but had some burning feeling in the penis several mins after (the feeling could last quite long). All these symptoms (mild) are presistent now and get worsen if I sit more than 30 mins. I think we all have different symptoms...but the origin of the problem might be the same...

I visited my family doc. today, and he gave me novo-norfloxacin. I think I have non-bacterial prostatitis, the causes might be sitting for too long (I sit all day), and too frequent ejaculation...and yes, I feel very stressful about school, and I am 24 yrs ago. I got the above symptoms all of a sudden.

I think masturbation may help, because it seems to relieve the congested feeling in my prostate. But I do that only when I have the bloated feeling. I think prostatitis may be related to "too frequent or infrequent ejaculation ", and I need to learn what's the "right frequency".

Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
(male)

afp HB User

Hi, I read this thred and I found it interesting that someone mentioned chinese herbal medicine. Does it help at all? This could be something to look into as an alternatives since antibiotic does damage to the kidney and liver. Please tell me a little more about the chinese herbal you are taking and where to get them if you don't mind to share.

Quote:
thanks for your advice. i do realize that antibiotics may take more than 2 weeks, however i've read that even taking many weeks of antibiotics, it still doesn't completely cure the problem, is that true?

rite now i'm taking some chinese herbal medicine rather than antibiotics because antibiotics seem to make matters worst.

i'm just wondering, does age have anything to do with the healing process? (btw i'm a 23 yr old male)

Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #12
(male)

Type-SH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by afp View Post
Hi, I read this thred and I found it interesting that someone mentioned chinese herbal medicine. Does it help at all? This could be something to look into as an alternatives since antibiotic does damage to the kidney and liver. Please tell me a little more about the chinese herbal you are taking and where to get them if you don't mind to share.
chinese herbel medicine helped with the urination part, but other than that, i didn't find it too useful. i don't kno what the herbel medicine was from. It was just a combination of many chinese herbs that you have to boil in a pot. It tastes awful. After the herbel medicine, they recommended accupuncture, i didn't find that too useful.

How long have u had prostatitis? have u tried many antibiotics already? i have had this problem for 4 months now and it's really ******* me off. I took norfloxacin and cipro but didn't seem to work. I have to admit that things r much better than it was when i first had prostatitis, but symptoms still exists. During this time, it has setted off my anxiety and i'm currently taking anti depressant pills.

Closed Thread