It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Post Could diuretics for High Blood Pressure affect prostatitis?

What would we do without you Zuzu! You are such an expert! and post such encouraging advice! I had posted before about my husband's difficulty in finding a medication for his hypertension that does not upset his stomach. I think he has tried Diovan but am not sure. Most other doctors I speak to suggest that he should initially have been put on a diuretic and then other meds added if necessary. My concern is that he also has benign prostate enlargement. How would diuretics affect this? Might there be a problem? And, in any case, could diuretics upset his stomach too?

------------------
Alison

Old 07-04-2003, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Hi Alison- I'm so sorry your husband is stuggling with BP meds and BPH (benign prostate hypertrophy..same thing as 'enlargement")

It really would be helpful to know what blood pressure drugs he's tried already. Any way you could come up with a list?

Has your husband ever been put on any alpha blockers??
(doxazosin, terazosin, others). These drugs prevent muscle contractions in your small arteries. They also reduce the effects of the†the natural chemicals in your body†that narrow your blood vessels. This class doesn't work as well as diuretics and shouldn't be used alone to manage high blood pressure. BUT they have the additional benefit of not only helping to lower blood pressure, they can improve urine stream for men with benign prostatic obstruction.

They may modestly lower your blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well.

By the way, I seem to remember that he was going to have a stool test to rule out digestive tract disease. How did that go?
Did he have more that just a fecal test? A colonoscopy maybe?

It seems to be the rule of thumb that diuretics are indeed the mainstay of blood pressure control, and many doctors do like to start with them first, and, as you said, add to the regimen later if necessary. However, in terms of the benign prostate enlargement, I've read that one should try to avoid certain medications such as diuretics (also certain tri-cyclic antidepressants, anti-histamines and cold medications with decongestants....). because all MAY worsen the symptoms.

If he has urinary "urge" incontinence, diuretics could make it worse.

However, this is not to say that a low does diuretic is absolutely a no-no for him. It depends on the degree of the enlargement, his symptoms, what other drugs he takes etc.

If anyone with BPH takes a diuretic I would imagine they would be told to take it in the morning, not before bedtime, to avoid nighttime urinary discomfort or frequency etc.

Again, this is something to discuss carefully with the urologist and whoever else you are dealing with.

If you could let me know what blood pressure meds he's tried, maybe I can help more.

zuzu xx

PS The diuretics will not necessarily upset his stomach. All BP meds have the potential to do so, but there are so many diferent combos, sub-classes etc. that sometimes, even within the same class a few molecules make all the difference!

The biggest concern with diuretics is electrolyte imbalance, especially loss of potassium, so the doctor would want to periodically take a blood test to make sure potassium levels, as well as all salts, creatinine level and kidney function is fine. If potassium loss is too much, one would need to take potassium supplements which is no big deal, just another rotten pill to take!!

Z xxx

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 07-04-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks zuzu. I really need to get a list of the meds he has tried, but it was as soon as he went on the first one that the stomach symptoms started. His stool test was just that...not a colonoscopy...and came back negative. I expected your comments on the use of diuretics when he has BPH...and suspect that that is why his doctor has not tried him on any of those. He is now on an ace inhibitor and still feels "gripey" When I get the list, I will post again. Keep up the good work...you are so helpful and encouraging to so many members.It is heartening to learn that you seem to have found a med that suits you.

Old 07-13-2003, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

This is mainly for Zuzu without whom this message board would not be the same! I read so many messages to which you respond and, although you say you are not a doctor, I think you qualify, not only in knowledge and experience but also in reassurance and " bed side manner"!!
The latest on my husband is that he is to have a colonoscopy to rule out colon cancer. Even though his symptoms are no worse, they have not been alleviated and his doctor is concerned that they have not been caused by his BP medication. As you can imagine, we are extrememely worried, with our daughter 4000 miles away about to go into labour and expecting us to be there when she does give birth.
It is amazing to me that his symptoms began directly after he went on to BP meds but, of course, coincidences do happen, so we have to be prepared.
I just want to say that these boards offer so much support to anyone concerned about their medical problems. I never used to read them but they offer a wealth of information and I thank people like you, Zuzu, who give so much time to encouraging and advising people.

Old 07-13-2003, 01:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
I wish U and your hubby good news. Hopefully they will find nothing seriously wrong and things will get much better. We all seem to have our problems, and your right, very nice to come to a board to get some info. and also a kind word. All the best to you, and also let us know when the baby arrives. Take care, and the VERY best of luck to U all!!

Your so right, that Zuzu is a trooper, and I wouldn't mind having her for a dr.....

Old 07-13-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Alison- How thoughtful of you to say such nice things....wish I WAS a doctor(think of all the dough I'd save on med bills!)...Grew up in a family that had a curiosity and passion for all things medical, although only one of us actually DID anything about it...(My sister, who is a GP in Great Britain.)

Okay...Now you. Please try not to panic about this upcoming colonoscopy. EXACTLY the same thing happened to me when I was originally put on Atenelol. Horrendous bowel problems. I already had years of irritable bowel syndrome but when I went on the drug, it got REALLY bad.
The doc argued with me that it couldn't be the drug.
I insisted we try another because I KNOW MY IBS like the back of my hand and this exacerbation was "different" and co-incided with the Atenelol.
So...Out with the Atenelol and in with ALTACE.
Same problem. It got so bad I was carrying plastic kitchen bags in my handbag "in case of an "accident"!!!!!!

How's THAT for a way to live?

Told the doc Altace is also screwing my stomach. He argued yet again, and suggested a colonoscopy.

Now, as you say, coincidences do happen, so I had the colonoscopy (which by the way is a breeze and not at all uncomfortable because they give you a light anesthesia)...and I was clean as a whistle.So it was both Atenelol and Altace that did me in after all.

So, your doc is just being vigilent and careful. Might as well just do it. Outpatient procedure. Home feeling fine. If you want more details on what to expect, let me know.

And by the way, the colonoscopy is not just to rule out cancer but also BENIGN things...i.e. benign polyps and other harmless lesions.

So get it over with, and when (I hope and suspect) your husband comes through with flying colors, then you'll know that he's okay and the meds need re-evaluation and more experimentation. You'll get there. Just take one step at a time.

Let us know what happens....And congratulations in advance on your daughter's new baby!

zuzu

Old 07-13-2003, 07:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Zuzu and JJ...I will definitely let you know the outcome of all this. Keep well

Old 07-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey JJ- Thanks to you too....I think we all deserve special "Trooper" medals here.....helping each other out and finding out we're not alone in all this "stuff".

In my wildest imagination I never knew that BP meds would EVER be a problem in the days when I had normal BP and didn't even have to think about the fact that it might happen to me. Used to think, hey, no problem, just pop a pill. And of course it's no help when one is first diagnosed and the doctors keep telling you these meds cause "few side effects".

Excuuuuuuuuse me?

Love,
zuzu

Old 07-14-2003, 09:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Wink

Hey girl, I hear ya...LOUD AND CLEAR!! Hubby has been on meds. for years, and except for a lil swelling in his legs, always did fine. Me on the other hand am so drug sensative it is pathedic, so I have to be unique and get the fool side effects.

Your right, sometimes just being able to vent or read about someone elses good fortune with certain drugs, sure does help and gives ya hope. I like to go to the dr. knowing at least I can give some input about what I think will or will not help me. This new dr. said he likes his clients to try to be informed, as long as they don't believe every fool thing they read, which I see his point. The dr. I just dumped use to get a bit miffed that I researched things on the net. I told her, I'm not trying to undermind you, just want to know all possible avenues. Oh well, ya just can't please everyone I guess.

I have been reading this boards for months, but never chimed in till recently when I was convinced the Altace was doing me more harm then good. It never hurts to ask questions, especially from folks who have already been there. To me it is like a nice support group, and God knows we need all the support we can get.

U take care and keep giving your advice, cause I can tell U do your homework. It would be GREAT if there was that magic pill everyone could take and still feel fine on, but with most of us, it is trial and error. Hope everyone has a wonderful day, and keep those chins up folks, it has to get better!!! JJ

BTW..I was mostly on the cholesterol board, another one of my wonderful problems, and hubby's. Neither of us seem to beable to take those meds. either. Geez, getting older is a blast isn't it...NOT!!

Closed Thread