It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
(male)

jkhh HB User
Mildly Enlarged Prostate and past prostatitis

I am age 40 male with history (4 times) of prostatitis. I was treated with Cipro or Levaquin and Flomax by my Urologist. Upon DRE, my prostate is always mildly enlarged but with no hardening (I think this is how it is described). I have symptoms of urgency, frequency, etc. and those seem to go with Ed for me. Can anyone(s) offer advise on natural ways to treat these prostate issues? I've been supplementing with 50 mg of Zinc (along with my t replacement) and this seems to help me some. Should I use Saw Palmetto too????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

mail04 HB User
Re: Mildly Enlarged Prostate and past prostatitis

Dont quote me here but i think i remember reading saw pallmeto is bad for t levels, might wanna do some research

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

AZMan07 HB UserAZMan07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejkh View Post
I am age 40 male with history (4 times) of prostatitis. I was treated with Cipro or Levaquin and Flomax by my Urologist. Upon DRE, my prostate is always mildly enlarged but with no hardening (I think this is how it is described). I have symptoms of urgency, frequency, etc. and those seem to go with Ed for me. Can anyone(s) offer advise on natural ways to treat these prostate issues? I've been supplementing with 50 mg of Zinc (along with my t replacement) and this seems to help me some. Should I use Saw Palmetto too????
Judge,
I think that prostatitis and enlarged prostate are 2 different symptoms derived from different causes although prostatitis can cause an enlarged prostate. It is no wonder you are having such a rough time with this.

IMO The only way to treat prostatitis is with an antibiotic like Cipro. However even the Prostatitis Foundation points out that there is wide disagreement in not only the causes but the cures of prostatitis.

I will talk about the enlarged prostate part as it affects me most.

I have been living with what was diagnosed as BPH for almost 20 years now. I perform routine self-exams but mostly notice flare-ups when I eat spicy foods, drink carbonated beverages and all the other things they tell you to stop when you have BPH. In order to avoid what I saw as temporary fixes through BPH drugs that inevitably stopped working and required a TURP (Avodart may be different), I took Saw palmetto in various forms. I have been taking "5LX" now for about 5 years I think. I found it to be the best at controlling the BPH. However, I still had bathroom problems. Not only the ones you talk about but also I could not urinate unless I was also defecating. I don't need to say how inconvenient and uncomfortable that is!

Up to this point, and until the last very few years, the cause of BPH has been medically diagnosed as an increase in a man's DHT, a by-product, if you will, of testosterone, that actually worked opposite of testosterone as a man ages. Testosterone decreases whereas DHT increases. *However,* modern medical science has now proven that BPH is mostly caused by an increase in a man's estrogen levels.

I discovered, purely by accident, when attempting to increase my libido by taking a libido (and volume) enhancer (Paravol) that certain ingredients known for years to help with BPH *actually work!* for BPH better than anything I have used in 20 years! These ingredients are:

Chrysin Powder & Diidolylmethane (DIM) -- -- keeps testosterone from aromatizing into estradiol, the most powerful type of estrogen in men.

I have been taking this for about 5 weeks but I noticed after just 1 week I had a noticably stronger urine stream, it started almost instantly and dribbling was less and is now non-existent. Saw Palmetto never ever worked like that and it has only "controlled" the BPH but never eliminated it.

Zinc will help with ED but that is about all. The Paravol also has ingredients that help with ED. So much so, in fact, that for the first time for many, many years, I wake up several times at night with erections!

I highly recommend that you find something with Chrysin Powder & Diidolylmethane (DIM) and give them a try. I would be interested in your success with these.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
(male)

jkhh HB User

AZMAN,

Good to hear from you. Not sure about the Chrysin powder but have read a bit about the DIM on here. I have read that Zinc is good for the prostate too (blocks estrogen?) and Dr. Shippen seemed persistant about its use in his book. From what I can find about DIM it is naturally occuring in brocolli, brussel sprouts, cabbage. Certainly, these are not part of my daily feasting. I'm looking for a Prostate Supplement that has both Zinc and the DIM (or even just the DIM). If anyone can offer a quality product (they use) please do advise . . . Also, is Indoplex with DIM a particular brand or is it a general product term (that different companies make)?
Thanks.

Last edited by jkhh; 02-17-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: omission

Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
AZMAN,

Good to hear from you. Not sure about the Chrysin powder but have read a bit about the DIM on here. I have read that Zinc is good for the prostate too (blocks estrogen?) and Dr. Shippen seemed persistant about its use in his book.
Hi Judge,
From my experience, Zinc, and I would take a highly bioavailable form, did nothing for my Prostate. I used it mostly for libido and increased semen production.

Quote:
From what I can find about DIM it is naturally occuring in brocolli, brussel sprouts, cabbage. Certainly, these are not part of my daily feasting: D.
Ditto here that is why I am adding a supplement. I don't like the increased gas from the veggies themselves!

Quote:
I'm looking for a Prostate Supplement that has both Zinc and the DIM (or even just the DIM). If anyone can offer a quality product (they use) please do advise . . .
Tribuloid seems to have those in addition to a few other estrogen (E2, Estradiol) antagonists. However, I am certainly not against getting individual supps in order to meet my needs without having other ingredients that may cause me distress.

Quote:
Also, is Indoplex with DIM a particular brand or is it a general product term (that different companies make)?
Thanks.
Yes, I believe Indoplex is the brand. In addition to DIM you may see Indole 3 Carbinol or I3C. According to the DIMFAQ, I3C is converted into diindolylmethane (DIM) making the latter more like the veggies and less like the I3C.

Keep us posted.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
(male)

jkhh HB User

AZMan,

I think you're on to something with DIM. I usually take it mid-day and I've been using it in addition to a Prostate Essentials Supp (saw palmetto, zinc, etc) and I think the improvement in urinary/male function is evident. It seems I hit a week or so lull with Testim but once I added DIM it seems I'm getting back on track. I'm on my third month of Testim 50 mg so I'm hoping that I'm not at the regress point. I do feel that when my prostate is functioning well my ED, etc. seems less prevalent.

I have read that DIM keeps more free T available (while keeping Estrogen in balance). Anyone else care to share their experiences with DIM?

Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
AZMan,

I think you're on to something with DIM. I usually take it mid-day and I've been using it in addition to a Prostate Essentials Supp (saw palmetto, zinc, etc) and I think the improvement in urinary/male function is evident. It seems I hit a week or so lull with Testim but once I added DIM it seems I'm getting back on track. I'm on my third month of Testim 50 mg so I'm hoping that I'm not at the regress point. I do feel that when my prostate is functioning well my ED, etc. seems less prevalent.

I have read that DIM keeps more free T available (while keeping Estrogen in balance). Anyone else care to share their experiences with DIM?
Well, I am not "anyone else" but I just started using a new supp, called DIM Palmetto containing in addition to DIM and Saw palmetto, has Zinc, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Stinging Nettle Root, Beta Sitosterol, and Lycopene. Have have been taking New chapter 5Lx for years but have stopped in order to experiment with this new one with DIM. I noticed a remarkable improvement in just 2 days taking 1/2 dose. I will stay with it a few weeks and test my Total T, Free T, and Estradiol levels. Stay Tuned and stay in touch!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
(male)

jkhh HB User

AZMan,

I looked for a combo supplement with DIM and Saw Palmetto but they seemed quite expensive. The Prostate Essentials Plus has many of the ingredients (excluding DIM) but also has Korean Ginseng, Pygeum, Selenium, etc. This one has 15 mg Zinc so if nothing else maybe I'll avoid a cold.

Also, how much DIM are you taking? The one I'm taking is DIM Comlex BioDIM 100 mg. 1-3 tablets per day is recommended and I've been taking one. This plus the Prostate Essentials Plus seems to bring a very good result thus far. I hate taking an extra pill but it seems more cost effective to do it this way.

Last edited by jkhh; 04-11-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: error & omission

Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

judge,
Allergy Research Group DIM Palmetto, for 2 softgels, provides 300 mg BioResponse DIM complex containing "minimum 25% DIM" so it is really hard for me to say exactly what amount it has. All I can say for sure is it has a minimum of 75 mg DIM *but* that is for 2 caps and I only take 1 per day. That seems, so far, to keep my stream normal. Now, considering that I only take 1 per day makes my cost 76 cents per softgel. With that I also get all the ingredients I listed in my other post *[plus* the "Complex" part has Vitamin E, phosphatidylcholine. Pretty reasonable cost I would say. Even when I took the 5Lx I only took 1 per day but the Green Tea in it gave me loose bowels so I really needed to get something new and like I say, so far, the DIM Palmetto is coming through for me.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #10
(male)

jkhh HB User

AZMan,

I ran across the Allergy Group product and it sounded like a good one. Looks like what I'm using is similar so I'll stick with it for now. Does this mean you've taken Chrysin powder out of the equation? Also, along with this are you on t replacement? I know you've discussed t replacement before but I can't remember (age 40=crs). I've done so well with these products that I'm wondering if the Testim is needed now. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
AZMan,

I ran across the Allergy Group product and it sounded like a good one. Looks like what I'm using is similar so I'll stick with it for now. Does this mean you've taken Chrysin powder out of the equation? Also, along with this are you on t replacement? I know you've discussed t replacement before but I can't remember (age 40=crs). I've done so well with these products that I'm wondering if the Testim is needed now. I'll keep a close eye on it.
Hi Judge,
That is correct, no more Chrysin. The only time I did take it was when I was taking Paravol as both it and DIM are ingredients but as for how much, it is not revealed. I read that Chrysin is no more effective than placebo for freeing up T so I figured I would try the DIM Palmetto. It will get a good test today as I will be out and about for most of the day. If I get the "urgency" that is so typical with BPH I will know that either 1 week of the DIM Palmetto is not enough or it does not work as I need it to. All I know is that as good as the 5Lx was for me for many years it just was not enough. I stumbled upon the DIM when using Paravol, it made me feel like a new man! And I am not talking just about the libido enhancement (that sadly, disappeared after 1 1/2 months ), but it took away the urinary urgency, dribble, getting up at night, etc. Bottom line judge, is that I figured it is the DIM. All these years I have been concentrating, like more doctors and men, that BPH is a result of DHT. It may be part of it but know I think it is mostly due to bad estrogen. Thing is that although mine was borderline high, it was within "acceptable" limits. Another prime example, like the Total T blood test, that blood test ranges for men are all out of whack! The medical community is far behind when it comes to dealing with male-specific issues. It is real sad to think how many men there are out there who have suffered needlessly for their entire adult lives with BPH and have even undergone the dreaded of dreaded roto rooter procedure with all of its nasty side effects or urinary incontenience and retrograde ejaculation when all that was needed is a good anti-estrogen and those have been around for years!

Sorry for the rant but I obviously feel quite strong about this!

No, I went off the TRT. I was on Androgel and it swoll up my prostate like a baloon and caused acne. Doc wanted to put me on pellets but I wanted to stick with "natural" alternatives for now and I didn't feel like shoving all that money in his pocket every 3 months when my insurance would not cover it. That is when I tried the Paravol and my total T went up from 515 to 585 (if I remember correctly, I don't have the results with me at this time) but I did not take a Free T test. It was low when my total was at 515. I could just tell from how I felt better that my Free was up. I also felt better and had more energy when I was on Clomid for 1 week when I first started looking at T, that also indicates it was probably an Estrogen based issue. I am going to give the DIM a few more weeks and do a total workup, Total, Free T as well as Total Estrogens.

Judge, if you are under a doctors care right now, taking the Testim, I don't think you should stop without another full T workup and talking to the doc. Do you feel better on the DIM?

Old 04-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
(male)

jkhh HB User

Hello AZMan,

I'm on Testim for 60+ days and the most immediate effect of it was to feel better, have more energy, etc. then the Libido/ED improved after a few weeks. The DIM seems to improve my frequency/urgency/flow which have always seemed to relate to my ED. That is, if I have the prostate symptoms I have ED issues. So, it seems to boost my pituitary function (plus the Prostate Essentials).

I don't mind your rant. Listening is my business .

I think you're on track with the Estrogen. Plus, it seems free T is the most critical factor. From what I've read, DIM is A+ at reducing estrogen thus freeing T.

I'm not stopping the Testim at this point. I'm going back to the Uro next month for t levels, psa, etc.

Keep us posted on your test results with your new approach.

Last edited by jkhh; 04-12-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: omission

Closed Thread