It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
(male)

ta2d HB User
Prostatitis or BPH - Urinary Issues

Hello,

I'm a 34 y/o male who, for the past (3) weeks has been having some urinary issues which consist of the following:

• Strong urge to urinate again within 10 – 15 minutes after finishing urination. There are some times that as soon as I drink something, I’ll have to urinate within 5 – 10 minutes.
• Dribbling/leaking a small amount of urine (a few drops) when bending down to pick something up or lifting something heavy or cough. This can happen at any time and not just directly after finishing urination. (Stress Incontinance)
• Strong urge to urinate if any pressure is placed on lower abdomen.
• Urine stream stopping/starting intermittently during urination along with weak and split stream. (This only lasted a few days and seems to have resolved itself)

I get up several times during the night to urinate but this has been going on for years. It was only in the last (3) weeks that the other symptoms listed above began. I haven't ran a fever with these symptoms.

I went to my GP two weeks ago after having these symptoms for a week. MY GP ran a urinalysis to check from a UTI or Bladder Infection. Both tests came back negative. He also gave me a standard "finger stick" blood sugar test which he said was normal @ (94). He seemed concerned about the dribbling/leaking and he gave me a referral to see a Urologist. Unfortunately, they couldn't get me in for two weeks. My appointment is coming up this Thursday.

I hate to self diagnose, but based on my own research this sounds like Prostatitis or BPH (although I've read that BPH usually only occurs in those over 50 y/o). Any ideas? Also, what is the standard testing procedure to diagnose prostatitis? Can they diagnose this from a DRE? Also, is a DRE painful?

I had a Vasectomy (3) years ago. Could this have anything to do with my issues?

Last edited by ta2d; 02-26-2008 at 09:19 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ta2d:
zorkov (01-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User
Re: Prostatitis or BPH - Urinary Issues

Prostatitis would probably be more likely than BPH at your age. A DRE doesn't hurt at all if you don't have prostatitis. If it's painful, then prostatitis is likely the cause. Do you have any other prostatitis symptoms? i.e., perinneal pain or rectal pain? Your urologist will be able to tell you what's going on. Best of luck to you. Get well soon.

Last edited by lcmfrom nc; 02-26-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
(male)

ta2d HB User

Thanks for the reply. No, my only other symptoms other than what I've listed is lower back pain and some mild testicular pain at the rear of the testicles.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Those are also associated with prostatitis. I'm certainly no doctor, but I've had several bouts with prostatitis, and I'm familiar with those symptoms. Did your GP prescribe any antibiotics for you to take while waiting for your appointment with the urologist? They'll often prescribe a 3 week regimen of Ciproflaxin or similar antibiotic, and you can see an improvement in about a week. They tell you to take the entire course though to prevent it from coming back. They prescribe antiobiotics even though you may have abacterial (non-bacterial) prostatitis. (I know; that doesn't make sense, but somehow it works.) Good luck and take care.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
(male)

ta2d HB User

Thanks for the reply. No my GP did not prescribe anything. As soon as I gave him my symptoms he shy'd away immediately and said "I think we better get you into a Urologist"..lol. So, for the past two weeks while I've been waiting for my appointment I've just been dealing with my symptoms. Actually, in the past two days my symptoms have improved a lot, although still not completely resolved. My urgency to urinate has decreased substantially. Oh well, one more day and maybe I"ll find something out.

Thanks for all your help.

Ryan

Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
(male)

ta2d HB User

I had my appt. with the Urologist. He determined that I do have prostatitis. He prescribed me 4 weeks worth of anti-biotics (Cipro) and gave me Flomax to take until the Prostatitis subsides. The funny thing is, I was actually getting a little better everyday leading up to my Urologist exam. However, the day after my exam when I had the DRE, etc.,. I started experiencing extreme urinary hesitancy and chronic starting and stopping during urination. Can the DRE itself irritate the gland and cause more inflammation? Also, how long does prostatitis generally take to clear up?

Last edited by ta2d; 03-03-2008 at 06:09 AM.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Yes, the DRE can cause further irritation and magnify your symtoms. (I speak from experience.) Prostatitis can take three weeks or sometimes longer to clear up after you begin the antibiotics.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
(male)

robinboston HB User

Tad,
Did the antibiotics work? I having the same symptoms.

Rob

Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
(male)

ta2d HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinboston View Post
Tad,
Did the antibiotics work? I having the same symptoms.

Rob
I'm still taking the anti-biotics. I'm currently on week (2). Yes, they are helping. I am going 1.5 - 2 hours between urination now as apposed to every 15 - 20 minutes and my hesitation is almost completely gone.

Ta2d

Old 03-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #10
(male)

robinboston HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2d View Post
I'm still taking the anti-biotics. I'm currently on week (2). Yes, they are helping. I am going 1.5 - 2 hours between urination now as apposed to every 15 - 20 minutes and my hesitation is almost completely gone.

Ta2d
Glad to hear. I had similar symptoms, frequent urination, feeling that I need to pee right after peeing, and most annoyingly dribbling after peeing. I didn't see as much hesitation as it seems that you did. I am now taking cipro for 4 days now and also hytrin. The hytrin has helped a little with the frequency of urination. I'm hoping that the the cipro will work soon. Who would have ever have thought that an infection could get there.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
(male)

ta2d HB User

I went back to my Urologist two weeks ago for a follow up. I had just finished my 4 weeks of antibiotics and was feeling good. The bladder scan, etc., showed that I was no longer retaining any urine. He deemed me as "cured" and said to contact him in the future if I have any further issues.

Fast forward two weeks, I'm now beginning to experience the issues again. I haven't contacted him yet as I was hoping it was a fluke and would go away. Has anybody on here that has had prostititis felt like they were cured, only to have it return within a few days, weeks, etc.,?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Unfortunately yes. That's why it is refered to as 'Chronic Prostatitis'. Sometimes you have to stay on the antibiotics for quite awhile. Hang in there.

Closed Thread