It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Re: Healthy Male 35 yrs old, high psa and low free psa, is it prostatitis or cancer

ID Did you say there was a study showing Advodart will prevent Prostate Cancer by 30%?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Healthy Male 35 yrs old, high psa and low free psa, is it prostatitis or cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
ID Did you say there was a study showing Advodart will prevent Prostate Cancer by 30%?
No - it's the other way around. There is a study showing that finasteride (formerly known as Proscar) prevents 30% of prostate cancer. This was the huge, long-lasting, double-blind, placebo controlled gold-standard type of clinical trial known as the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT). Original results were reported in 2003, and several follow-up analyses have been done since then, with a recent one revising the percentage of prevention upward from 25% to 30%. Dr. Ian Thompson, MD, a very prominent and respected urologist (I think from MD Anderson in Texas) has been a key leader in the trial and is often a key co-author of PCPT reports.

Another critical detail from the PCPT is that the safety of finasteride is no longer in doubt. Back in 2003, there was a slight indication that it might increase the aggressiveness of a very few cancers while preventing many others. We now know that increased aggressiveness is not caused by finasteride; instead it increases the detectability of higher grade cancers, which of course is a good thing. Many doctors in the medical community have been very slow at digesting the new safety information , as have the media , but this year I've seen changes in both, for the good , including several major media reports of finasteride's safety.

We have only preliminary reports from the Avodart trial for prevention of prostate cancer. My recollection is that those reports suggest prevention of about 50% of prostate cancer.

Take care,

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanick123 View Post
By reading your comments the numbers seem to be right. To add my two cents, advodart play on the conversion of testosterone and not on other sexual hormones. For sure this will take effect during the first years but I'm concern about the long term. What will happend after taking this drug for 10 years ? However those numbers are encouraging.
Yanick
Hello Yanick,

Welcome to the board!

I've been taking finasteride (Proscar) continuously since 9/17/2000, more than eight years now. While I am just a single case, it still seems to be working for me, though I haven't had a DHT test since 8/16/2007, during my second off therapy period (testosterone 585, DHT 43, PSA 2.49). Because of the way it works, I would expect it to keep working, but I don't have in depth knowledge here.

By the way, I have a question since you are in Montreal. That's the home of Dr. Fernand Labrie, who is on the faculty of Laval University. You may know already that he has achieved fame as the "father of combined hormonal blockade." His thoughts and work have greatly influenced several of the doctors I follow closely, though they do not agree with everything he advocates, and even among other doctors who do not agree he has stimulated thinking, such as regarding his research in support of screening for prostate cancer. Do you know about him? Does he do much speaking to local prostate cancer support and education groups? I had the pleasure of meeting him as a survivor representative at the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research several years ago. He does have strong opinions and is controversial, but I believe he has contributed greatly to the advancement of hormonal blockade therapy.

For a long time Dr. Labrie did not consider finasteride or Avodart useful as the third leg of triple blockade, thinking only the first two drugs - the LHRH-agonist like Lupron and the antiandrogen, like Casodex - were necessary. My impression is that he now agrees that the third drug can be very helpful. Many of us are on intermittent hormonal blockade, and I don't think Dr. Labrie has changed his opposition to that, still convinced that continuous blockade, at least up to around nine years or so, is better. (However, as far as I can see, there's wide agreement that continuous blockade is better for men with detectable metastases.)

Take care,

Jim

Old 12-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Yanick,

Somehow I overlooked Montreal in your address line. Thanks for clarifying that and for the information about Dr. Labrie.

My next check is in mid-January with results about a week later.

Jim

Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #20
(male)

givemehope123 HB User

Hi All,

Wanted to give an update, apologies for not having followed up.
I have since had 1 psa test since nov-08 and the result came back to be 3.9.

It has increased from 3.5 to 3.9 in a 4 month period.
My GP suggested that there was no need for a biopsy immediately and asked to to have the psa rechecked in another 3 months time.

He said that .4 is not considered much of a variation.

Other than that, I am healthy, working out actively, having no symptoms.
What are my options here?

Jim - Thanks for all the latest information you have provided in other threads.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #21
(male)

gorwell1984 HB User

When I was 45 I had a PSA of 7.4 during a routine blood test. My grandfather had an enlarged prostate and BPH most of his life from his early 50's until his death of an urelated kidney problem at 87 years old.
My Urologist immediately put me on antibiotic therapy for 4 weeks and it did NOT change my PSA. Actually it went up to 7.8. He then scheduled a 6 needle biopsy and told me that he suspected it may be cancer. After the 6 needle It came back negative. He put on several other pharmaceuticals and antibiotics (different type of antibiotics). After a month on this therapy my PSA still was above 7.5.
He then told me there must be cancer in there somewhere but he missed it with the 6 needle. So, he did a 9 needle, It came back negative again. My prostate was mildly enlarged but not to much. He told me to come back in 6 weeks to recheck my PSA. I started taking Saw Palmetto supplements after that visit.
A year went by getting PSA tests and more 9 needle biopsies.
After 18 months outa nowhere my PSA went from 7.6 to 1.4 in 3 months!
He had no reason as to why this happened but my PSA has stayed below 2.2 over the past 14 years. I started urinating blood last October and could not even get a stream started. I was in so much pain. I went back to the same Urologist and after a digital exam and another PSA he told me and another 6 needle biopsy. Again negative biopsy. He then told me I had an extremely enlarged prostate and BPH. My PSA was at 2.4 then. He put me on antibiotic therapy for four weeks and prescribed Finasteride 5mg a day. After 4 weeks on my followup my PSA came down to 2.2. He told me to have a checkup with him every 6 months. Just had my first checkup since the MRI, Biopsy, several other tests, etc. Im still at 2.2 and enlarged prostate and BPH. I no longer worry like I did for so many years. I will continue to see him for a PSA, digital every 6 months and take my Finasteride and Saw Palmetto supplements.

I wish you the best,
G.Orwell 1984

Closed Thread