It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
(male)

LSUtiga21 HB User
Chronic prostatitis and antibiotics

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with bacterial prostatitis, and took an antibiotic for a 2-week period, which seemingly cleared the infection (and my symptoms). A couple of weeks ago, however, my symptoms returned and my doctor now believes it to be chronic prostatitis and says my infection was not completely cleared the first time. He now has started me on a 6-week round of Cipro (2x a day).

My question is, when during this treatment should I begin to feel relief from my symptoms. The constant urinating, especially throughout the night, and the lethargy and fatigue I feel upon waking every morning is becoming quite trying on me, and I am hoping for some help soon.

Thanks to anyone who can provide me with some direction to my question.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
(female)

tetianainto HB User
Re: Chronic prostatitis and antibiotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtiga21 View Post
I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with bacterial prostatitis, and took an antibiotic for a 2-week period, which seemingly cleared the infection (and my symptoms). A couple of weeks ago, however, my symptoms returned and my doctor now believes it to be chronic prostatitis and says my infection was not completely cleared the first time. He now has started me on a 6-week round of Cipro (2x a day).

My question is, when during this treatment should I begin to feel relief from my symptoms. The constant urinating, especially throughout the night, and the lethargy and fatigue I feel upon waking every morning is becoming quite trying on me, and I am hoping for some help soon.

Thanks to anyone who can provide me with some direction to my question.
Hi, my husband has had prostatitis - so through his experience, I can understand what you are going through. Cipro is one of the first antibiotics given to treat prostatitis, and if it doesn't work (for my husband's first infection - it didn't), then there are other stronger antibiotics that can be tried. It can be a very stubborn infection because of its location - not all drugs can penetrate in there......Having said that, you should start feeling better relatively soon, but it may not be right away. I seem to recall that things got better slowly...not immediately.

I don't think you should jump to the conclusion that you've got chronic prostatitis without trying the stronger antibiotics (I'm sorry - I forgot the name). Dealing with it - does take patience...but we've managed to keep it at bay.

Funnily enough - I am convinced that he got because of overexertion - he was pulling out some steel posts in our yard that were encased in concrete and really had to work hard to pull them out.....a day or two after the symptoms started. Another time he got it - was after using the exercise bike! Bingo - pain! etc. Coincidence? Nothing since.

Also keep away from coffee and alcohol for a while......

Hope this helps a little. best, c

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread