It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
(male)

matt127 HB User
Prostatitis Won't Go Away

Back in January, I started to feel discomfort after I orgasmed. It wasn't that noticeable so I ignored it. In May, it got worse and I started to feel sick (aches, lack of energy, sore throat, constant discomfort in my urethra). I went to the doctor. He did a urinalysis, and he found white blood cells. So he diagnosed me with non gonococcal urethritis (I don't think I was very clear with him about the symptoms). He prescribed me doxycycline. This helped a little bit, but didn't clear up the symptoms completely. By the time I finished the antibiotics, I started to feel pain and pressure in my pelvic area. I then went to a different doctor. He did a urinalysis again and found white blood cells. He prescribed me azithromycin. This helped a little bit too, but it didn't clear up the symptoms. I then went back. He did a digital prostate exam, and found my prostate was swollen. He diagnosed me with prostatitis. This time he prescribed me levaquin. While I was on the levaquin, I started to get this pressure in my face. I was supposed to take it for ten days. On the ninth day, i developed an allergic reaction. My skin broke out in hives. The next time I went to a urologist. He confirmed the prostatitis diagnosed by doing another digital prostate exam. He also said the pressure in my face was probably related to the prostatitis. However, my urinalysis came back clean. So he said I didn't need anymore antibiotics. However, I still had the pain and pressure in my pelvis and my face, and it still hurt when I orgasmed. He put me on NSAID drugs. First, I took naproxen for two weeks, but that gave me stomach problems. So he told me to take advil for a month. I took advil for the month, but that didn't really help the symptoms too much. When I told the urologist, he told me to come in for a cystoscopy. Since this is kind of an invasive procedure, I decided to ask another urologist first. This urologist did another urinalysis, which also came up clean. However, he said sometimes it's possible for there to be an infection and not show up on the urinalysis. So he prescribed me bactrim. He also prescribed my uroxatral. I stopped taking the advil for a day, but this made it difficult for me to urinate. So I started taking it again. I took these three medications for about a week. Yesterday, I started to feel some neck pain. Today, my left elbow started started to hurt. The pain isn't that bad, but I read that these could be serious side effects from the bactrim. So I stopped taking it. I'm going to call the urologist about it tomorrow. I feel like the uroxatral helped a little bit. The pressure in my face and pelvis went down a little bit, but it still hurts when I orgasm.
I'm posting this to see if anybody has any insight into my problem. Does anybody know of any other treatments. Has anybody had similar experiences? I know this condition can take a long time to clear up, but I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
(male)

lorelle HB User
Re: Prostatitis Won't Go Away

Matt, some things I have found that help me are:
daily vigorous exercise, avoiding caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods, and supplements like quercetin, saw palmetto, betasitosterol, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
(male)

Rman63 HB User

Matt,

I was also diagnosed with Prostatitis a few years ago. However my symptoms were slightly different. I had a lot of discomfort on the right side of my scrotum (a constant itching) felt as though my pibic hairs were made of copper wires and were constantly poking me.

I also notice that when I ejaculated whether through intercourse or masturbation, my ejaculate felt thicker than usual. I also found myself having to go to the bathroom more often that ususal.

Went to my Urologist and after a urine sample, rectal exam, he prescribed me some Cirpoflaxin. I took that for 30 days and it went away. Three to four months later it flared up again, so here I go to the Urologist once again same procedures and gave me some more Cipro.

Once again, another three to four monts (sometimes longer) it came back. This time he prescribed me some Doxycycline. He then said if this didn't work that he would have to perform a cystoscopy procedure to get a better look inside to see what could possibly be causing this.

Sure enough, a few months later it came back. (This went on for about two years). He finally set me up for the Surgery (Cystoscopy). Meanwhile gave some more Doxycycline to take until the procedure.

He expalined to me that there were two types of Cystoscopy procedures. Both were Out-Patient types. Only difference is one you were put out completely and the other you weren't. I chose the first.

In any case, after the procedure while I was in the recoverey room, he explained to my wife that he had found an enflammed Prostate and that he hadgiven me a Prostate Massage during the procedure.

To date, I have not had any problems with the Prostitiis. Well, maybe just one time since (About a year after the procedure), but haven't had any problems since.

Good luck

Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
(male)

matt127 HB User

Thanks for the post Rman. I haven't been back to this thread for a really long time. I've come a long way since I first started it, and I am happy to say I am almost completely pain free (after a lot of work). I have since learned that prostatitis is actually caused by pelvic floor muscle spasms. I have the supplement quercitin to be very helpful (q-urol is a good proprietary blend ). However, the most important technique to heal pelvic pain is intra rectal trigger point release. It is described somewhat in this book A Headache in the Pelvis.
You can do a lot of it on your own. It also helps to find a pelvic floor physical therapist. Even if you don't have any symptoms currently. I recommended trying it out. It's a good way to keep yourself symptom free. I hope this post helps anyone who comes across it. I had a really hard time finding effective treatment, and it's frustrating because most urologists won't recommended it.

Last edited by matt127; 12-31-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
(male)

lee79 HB User

for anyone reading this thread who has prostatitis and been hurting a while and thinking to their self well docs put me on antibiotics some works some don't tired of being in pain somebody help me.

my advice is this. there is a very simple test the urologist can do to see if it is an infection or if it is not an infection. problem is most urologists are lazy and when you come in they nod there heads a few times and say here just take this antibiotics. then when they get tired of messing with you they just live with it buddy.

just like in society there are good people and there are bad people. same thing with doctors there are good urologists who get it . and there are urologists who don't have a clue what they are doing and have really big egos. that is actually a quote from my uro

anyways find a good urologist one who listens to you. and the simple test is called a prostate massage if done correctly its over in a minute or 2...
then the doctor will check out your prostate fluid under a microscope and see if there are white blood cells in it. if there are it means it could be an infection. then you pee in a cup and they send off the urine to a lab. lab finds out bacteria does sensitivity testing to see which antibiotics kill bacteria and which do not. then you go back to your uro he prescribes u antibiotics it kills ur prostate infection and your nightmare is over...

very simple isn't it ? yet many urologists will do anything they can to get out of giving a patient a prostate massage. even down right refuse to do it....note I said many not all. because again just like in society we have good and bad...

Just some friendly advice to all ...make sure for certain it is not an infection. before you try to just live with it

Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
(male)

swaneelane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt127 View Post
Back in January, I started to feel discomfort after I orgasmed. It wasn't that noticeable so I ignored it. In May, it got worse and I started to feel sick (aches, lack of energy, sore throat, constant discomfort in my urethra). I went to the doctor. He did a urinalysis, and he found white blood cells. So he diagnosed me with non gonococcal urethritis (I don't think I was very clear with him about the symptoms). He prescribed me doxycycline. This helped a little bit, but didn't clear up the symptoms completely. By the time I finished the antibiotics, I started to feel pain and pressure in my pelvic area. I then went to a different doctor. He did a urinalysis again and found white blood cells. He prescribed me azithromycin. This helped a little bit too, but it didn't clear up the symptoms. I then went back. He did a digital prostate exam, and found my prostate was swollen. He diagnosed me with prostatitis. This time he prescribed me levaquin. While I was on the levaquin, I started to get this pressure in my face. I was supposed to take it for ten days. On the ninth day, i developed an allergic reaction. My skin broke out in hives. The next time I went to a urologist. He confirmed the prostatitis diagnosed by doing another digital prostate exam. He also said the pressure in my face was probably related to the prostatitis. However, my urinalysis came back clean. So he said I didn't need anymore antibiotics. However, I still had the pain and pressure in my pelvis and my face, and it still hurt when I orgasmed. He put me on NSAID drugs. First, I took naproxen for two weeks, but that gave me stomach problems. So he told me to take advil for a month. I took advil for the month, but that didn't really help the symptoms too much. When I told the urologist, he told me to come in for a cystoscopy. Since this is kind of an invasive procedure, I decided to ask another urologist first. This urologist did another urinalysis, which also came up clean. However, he said sometimes it's possible for there to be an infection and not show up on the urinalysis. So he prescribed me bactrim. He also prescribed my uroxatral. I stopped taking the advil for a day, but this made it difficult for me to urinate. So I started taking it again. I took these three medications for about a week. Yesterday, I started to feel some neck pain. Today, my left elbow started started to hurt. The pain isn't that bad, but I read that these could be serious side effects from the bactrim. So I stopped taking it. I'm going to call the urologist about it tomorrow. I feel like the uroxatral helped a little bit. The pressure in my face and pelvis went down a little bit, but it still hurts when I orgasm.
I'm posting this to see if anybody has any insight into my problem. Does anybody know of any other treatments. Has anybody had similar experiences? I know this condition can take a long time to clear up, but I'm getting pretty frustrated.
Lee: Perhaps ultraviolet blood irradiation w/ ozone would kill the bacteria. It works for hep c, prostate cancer and other bacteria and virus infections, including lyme. go online google in UBI. I believe It's much more effective than antibiotics w/ less side effects. It worked for me. It brought down my liver enzyme levels. I have much more energy than before the UBI treatments. find an alternative doc in your area. Blessings, much success swanee

Last edited by swaneelane; 05-09-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
(male)

brian38 HB User

Rman,

how are you doing with your prostatitis since the cystoscopy/prostate massage? have you changed your diet? are you taking any supplements? any other flareups?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Brian

Closed Thread