It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
(male)

Ropes End HB UserRopes End HB User
Re: Need Advice and Reassurance (Prostatitis?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHale1985 View Post
Also, I would look more into the sole idea of Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion, and/or IC. Since those can be triggered by stress. What is the therapist doing to your pelvic floor now??? Release points? Could be likely with all the stress and anxiety you have over this now, that PFD could be a possibility, no?
I'm almost positive this is my problem, to be honest. When the initial "UTI" came on, I had injured my knee, was packing for a trip, preparing for said trip for over a week, and when I got in the car to leave early that morning, the battery was dead. I had to cancel the whole thing for various reasons because of that. Next thing I know, I wake up the next morning with the "UTI," but I even felt it coming on that day of the scheduled trip.

As for my physical therapist, I'm actually going to try and find a better one today. The woman I have now is very nice and equally professional, but she's admittedly working in the relative dark with me. She's been boning up on CPPS as much as she can, and she's shown me a couple of internal trigger points I would be safe to try and massage myself, but she's hesitant to do much herself. Mainly, she's been showing me some general relaxation techniques to help relieve some of my anxiety, as well as has coached me through paradoxical relaxation, which is basically a technique where you go to the pain and confront it, telling it you're not afraid to live with it if you have to, rather than trying to put it out of your mind completely. It's rather difficult to explain in words, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGuy85 View Post
Ropes End and everyone else who has posted on here, Thank You for your honesty when dealing with these symptoms. I am a 25 year old male who has struggled with the same annoying, seemingly endless misdiagnoses of the same complaints. Every test has come back without any sign of bacteria or annoying ultrasounds have come back completely normal. Definitely feel your pain when you think that the next Dr's visit will be the one to have you cured only to have nothing happen/be solved. It is completely demoralizing. I have my first cystoscopy scheduled for this Tuesday (I'm extremely nervous, I just keep thinking of all the things it could possible be) I'm currently on my 3rd week of a 6 week course of Cipro (it does nothing). The Dr. said my prostate felt "a little spongy" and I was automatically diagnosed with Prostatitis. Like you said in an earlier post, the Motrin does nothing. When you pee do you ever feel like you have to "milk" out the rest of the urine so that it will all come out?

When I drink alcohol (rarely) it significantly cuts down on my ability to pass urine. I can hardly go at all. I was wondering if this was a symptom anyone else has ever encountered. It seems like every day, my stream is different (either weaker or stronger) and the pain comes and goes. When I first started taking the Cipro, everything seemed to clear up for about 2 days, then came back again. It is extremely annoying.

Just wanted to let you know, you're definitely not alone and I will share exactly what happens on Tuesday.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, BostonGuy. Like Mruretrha said above, don't worry too much about the cystoscopy. I actually had my done about a week after first being diagnosed with "prostatitis," and the doctor more or less just sprung it on me when I showed up at the office that day. I think I mentioned this in my initial post, but to be frank, I really didn't have a chance to say no or even, "I'll think about it," because if I did, chances are I would have put it off for as long as possible just as Mrurethra did.

That being the case, I'm glad circumstances shook out as they did, because I never had a chance to build the procedure up in my mind as being more than it really was. It doesn't hurt at all really, it's just an odd thing to go through more than anything else. My advice would be to look away and think of other things as much as you're capable of, or perhaps even bring an MP3 player and listen to music if you're allowed. The whole thing will be over before you know it, and then you'll be able to put it out of your mind and behind you completely.

In terms of alcohol making your symptoms worse, I can't comment on that personally, because I don't drink at all. I never have, as a matter of fact, but in my research over the months I've learned that it's not uncommon for both alcohol and caffeine to have a negative effect on one's symptoms.

Having to "milk" my penis to get out the last few drops after urinating but still having that sensation that there's a few more in there regardless is a regular symptom for me, though I haven't had it in a while now, now that I'm thinking about it. Mainly I just dribble a bit after going currently, but I've been noticing lately that that's gradually beginning to subside, as well. Maybe I'm finally starting to get better? Hopefully...

The cipro having an effect initially on your symptoms: Again, in my research over the months and coming to the gradual conclusion that this is stress and muscle related for me; this could be because of the anti-inflammatory properties of most antibiotics. The cipro may have calmed and lowered the inflammation of your muscles down there initially, but its effectiveness over the ensuing days quickly wore off. That's just a guess, though.

All that being said, whether our problems are stress related or not, my advice at this point to everyone on here suffering is to relax and try not to think about it. If you think it's something to get worked up over, chances are you're going to. I know myself over the past few months, I've had to come to grips with the fact that I have some OCD tendencies, and I really do believe that might have a large role in the development of my troubles. The more you think something is wrong with that area, the more you start to think about that area and complications with it in general, over-analyzing every little thing that's going on down there, like the strength of your stream, pleasure during sex, sensations after ejaculation and urination, etc. And when you're worrying all the time about all that stuff, you're going to make yourself ultra-sensitive to what's going on down there all the time. Next thing you know, inadvertent muscle tension, and the anxiety loop--anxiety bring pain, pain brings stress, stress brings anxiety--begins, and that's a hard to thing to fight your way out of, as I think I'm starting to learn.

On the other hand, though, we don't want to rule out anything physically being wrong with us in the meantime, so it is important that we get tested for everything we can, if for no other reason than some peace of mind so we can more effectively deal with the anxiety this disorder has no doubt caused in all of us. I still have a lot of doctors appointments each week, I'm sorry to say, but I try to take them in stride as much as possible, too.

So it's good that you're getting that cystoscopy tomorrow, BostonGuy, and I hope it all goes off without a hitch for you. I'm honestly sure it will, really. Likewise, I hope you're feeling better soon, and do be sure to let us all know what sort of progress you experience in the days and weeks ahead, as well as what you believed to have helped you on the road to your eventual recovery. Good luck and feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #17
(male)

GuyFromTexas HB User

I am very glad I ran across this thread! I have the EXACT same symptoms and have also been diagnosed with prostatitis. Your symptoms sound so much like mine that I could have written your post myself. I have suffered from this before but not to the severity of this time. The intense urge to urinate all of the time is my main symptom...and I must say, a very difficult symptom to live with.

I also wonder how much of this is brought on by the anxiety-pain loop. My GP recently prescribed Jalyn to see if it will relax some of the symptoms. I do hope it will work!

I think we have to keep thinking recovery is possible even though it may take a long time. I have read in many places that flare-ups of prostatitis can last up to six months. My last episode was six months. I am praying this episode is much shorter and my last!

Stay Strong! You are not alone!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
(male)

BostonGuy85 HB User

Guys,

Thanks a ton for your words. I had the cystoscopy done last Tuesday. I spent more time half naked waiting in the room than actually having the procedure done. Doc was great though, he tried to keep conversation going to keep my mind off what was happening. As soon as he got the scope in he said he could see the stricture right away and that we needed to do something about it as soon as possible because it was a severe case. It was also a definitive answer as to why I kept having recurring prostatitis, as the urine was being retained and basically poisoning my prostate.

I left the office without an appointment for surgery but, the woman called me yesterday, I had my pre op physical and I am going in on Monday to have a urethrotomy. Luckily, I'll be under anesthesia for this process. I am excited to have this problem taken care of (I know strictures can return but I am trying to be positive) and I will let you guys know how the procedure goes. Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
(male)

WestCoastWell HB User

Question for you Ropes End - did this problem come about from a sexual encounter?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
(male)

WestCoastWell, no it did not. I've never been intimate with a woman beyond kissing, in fact, and though somewhat embarrassing to admit, it did at first at least make it a bit easier to try and diagnose my problem. I say "at first" because since having such a hard time figuring out what's wrong with me, my urologist ended up ordering pretty much all of the standard STD tests anyway, just to be safe. No big surprise, they all came back negative, too.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
(male)

busted011 HB User

Hi There,,

I definately know what you are going through, I have had Chronic Prostatitis (or whatever you want to call it) for the past year now. Just found this website today and there seems to be a lot of good stuff and exchange of information.

My case started out with a diagnosis of uretheritis, which was never really dealt with correct, then turned into prostatitis.

I have been through the usual course of antibiotics: Cipro/Septra. Which do aliviate some of the symptoms, but return after the course has been complete. I have found a lot of releif in excersizing the muscles down there and just relaxing myself (you tend to get really stressed while experiencing this condition).

I also take 3 doses of Prosta-Q a day (which can be ordered from Farr labs) and 2 doses of BP-Qmax (from the same company). These 2 products have reduced my pain symtoms to nearly 0, and have managed the frequency symptoms to about 50%.

Also, and this is probably the MOST important thing, AVOID alcohol. In the beginning I through I could get away with drinking Beer on the weekends, but this would just flare it up terribly.

Hang in there man, I know how hard it is. I'm only 25, and to think that we have to deal with this at such a young age is terrible. There is hope through, I am very determined to completely curemyself (I would say I'm about 50% there). I DO NOT beleive doctors when they tell me that it is incurable (this "condition" I beleive is at least 50% mental).

-Shaun

The Following User Says Thank You to busted011 For This Useful Post:
Ropes End (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #22
(male)

Thanks, Shaun. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, and I sincerely hope your symptoms continue to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted011 View Post
There is hope through, I am very determined to completely curemyself (I would say I'm about 50% there). I DO NOT beleive doctors when they tell me that it is incurable (this "condition" I beleive is at least 50% mental).
I really do agree with you here, particularly about the mental thing. More and more, I'm starting to believe this is indeed an anxiety disorder of some sort, or perhaps even an obsessive compulsive thing, at least in my case, anyway. From the research I've done online over the past five months, it seems as if there's always some sort of legitimate ailment or possibility of one that brings on "prostatitis," or "CPPS," or whatever other name one wants to call it. I've seen many people with this condition who first developed it after a dicey sexual encounter, some folks who had an actual urological infection of some sort, and even a few sufferers who experienced a physical trauma of some sort to the area (an accident, late-life circumcision, etc.). So from my reading it seems as if a wide array of things can act as the catalyst for CPPS, and that to me says an almost unconscious obsession with the area is the root of a lot of our problems.

That's not to say the pain isn't real, though, because it absolutely is. But somehow I think that obsession causes the pain, or discomfort, or the constant urge to go, and those symptoms bring about more anxiety about our condition, which in effect only worsens those same symptoms.

The last bit of evidence I have is that I had knee surgery on Monday, and while my urological symptoms were initially worse after returning home from the hospital, they gradually subsided, and are actually quite manageable as I sit here this very minute (knock on wood). In fact, I'd say I feel better now than I have in quite some time, and I'm not taking any sort of pain medication for the knee right now, so I'm fairly confident it's nothing in the form of drugs that's helping me. Rather, I think I'm just more concerned with my knee right now, and as such, the lack of worry about my CPPS has caused the symptoms related to that problem to dwindle.

I'm really hopeful that once my knee is completely healed, and I can get back to exercising and walking as I did before I hurt it (incidentally, around the exact same time I first began experience my urological symptoms), my CPPS symptoms will dramatically improve soon thereafter, and I can finally put this whole horrible time in my life behind me once and for all. That's what I'm praying for, anyway.

In the meantime, though, if anyone has any other theories or tips to share, I, and I'm sure anyone else visiting this board as well, would love to hear them. Thanks again to everyone who's chimed in, and good luck to all of us.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ropes End For This Useful Post:
canadian13 (03-24-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
(male)

andrew7719 HB User

Hey guys, I feel your pain. I've had off and on chronic prostatitis for about 2 years now and have tried just about everything; from months of antibiotics to saw palmetto, oil of oregano, colloidal silver, olive leaf extract, quecertin and god knows what else. The only thing that has helped me during that time has been the antibiotics but they are not a cure. They rid the infection for a time but usually returns, sometimes within days or weeks or even months if I'm lucky. My last infection started 3 months ago and I got back on antibiotics then developed a rash after about 6 weeks. My doctor told me to stop using them. Turns out I developed a yeast infection from the long term usage.

As soon as I stopped them the pain came back within a day or two. Pretty depressing. During the same time I was taking the antibiotics I was also taking multivitamins and vitamin c along with saw palmetto and quecertin but the pain kept coming after stopping the antibiotic.

At the time all of this was occurring I was reading a book on vitamin c by Linus Pauling where he suggested taking mega doses of vitamin c to cure infection. I thought it was a long shot. I was already taking about 3 to 4 thousand milligrams per day for about 6 weeks but he was suggesting 10 to 18 or even more grams per day. He stated that it was perfectly safe to do so and that one could even take 100 grams per day and not have any adverse affects other than gas and diarrhea, so I began to increase my dosage. At first I started taking about 8 grams then 10 then 14 then worked up to 18 grams a day. All of this being within a week time frame. Guess what happened? My symptoms began to subside. My prostatitis is now 98% gone. It's been one month and I feel good. Although I must say whenever I drink a lot of coffee like a Starbucks venti, I feel some discomfort. So I have discontinued coffee. I really think mega doses of vitamin C can help you guys. I must also tell you that I am taking a multivitamin along with quecertin, olive leaf extract and a saw palmetto supplement as well. So maybe this is helping too but I really noticed a difference while taking mega doses of C.

So there it is. I suggest reading Linus Pauling's book How to Live Longer and Feel Better. And start taking mega doses of vitamin C. And by the way, get the ascorbic acid powder form of Vit C and take it in a fruit juice (helps to disguise the bitterness). I find that the powder form is a much easier and effective way then the pill format. You can take 5 grams at a time spaced out during the day and make sure you take it periodically.

Best of luck

Closed Thread