HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Prostatitis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/prostatitis/)
-   -   Need Advice and Reassurance (Prostatitis?) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/prostatitis/766887-need-advice-reassurance-prostatitis.html)

Ropes End 09-05-2010 12:57 PM

Need Advice and Reassurance (Prostatitis?)

Someone, please help me.

I'm 28 years-old. I've suffered from UTI's on occasion for the past ten years or so; say maybe 2 a year max, although I've not had one for 2 years until this latest one. Now, I'm going to tell my story in excruciating detail, but if you don't want to read it all, please just skip down to the end and give me some advice; any you might have, no matter how insignificant you may think it is. Thank you.

About six weeks ago, at the end of July, I felt a UTI coming on. I went to my GP and he gave me Bactrum. Traditionally, he had always given me Cipro, but I really didn't care. Two days later, I didn't feel that it was working and asked him for something stronger, at which point he called in some Cipro: 250mg, two times a day. As usual, it knocked the bugs right out.

So I took the full two-week course, went back to my GP, and he gave me a clean bill of health; nothing in my urine. I went home, feeling fine. About five days later, however, I felt the infection coming back again. I went to my GP once more, and he again prescribed me Cipro. Two days later, I started feeling worse. That Friday night, I was in the emergency room with the typical UTI symptoms I'm used to (urgency and burning), plus back pains. The doctor there did some blood work and a urine test. The latter came back clean, much to my surprise. Never heard anything about the blood test, so I assume it was clean, too. The IV I got had Cephalexin (3rd gen, I think the doctor said) and some sort of pain killer in it. I went home that night feeling practically normal with a prescription of Cephalexin (1st generation, I guess) and optimism on my side.

By Sunday, I was miserable again. Monday, I got an appointment with a urologist thanks to a referral from the hospital. Couldn't get in until Wednesday, however, so I went to my GP right away, hoping there was something he could do. Urine was clear again, though. He told me to take the Cipro, that it wouldn't interfere with the Cephalexin and that he felt it was a stronger drug anyway. I did, and felt mildly better, but still not normal.

Tuesday, more misery, went back to my GP, praying he'd have an answer this time. I told him to do whatever he wanted: tell me to eat bread and water and never have sex again; I didn't care, just to help me. He did a prostate exam and said it felt a little boggy. He then told me it could be prostatitis, a word I'm now all too familiar with.

Wednesday, I finally got to my urologist, although at this point I really didn't feel that bad; almost normal, even, as I recall. Anyway, get there hoping to speak with a doctor but instead got a PA. She did a prostate exam, said more or less the same thing as my GP, but upped my Cipro to 500mg twice a day and told me to take Motrin.

Friday night, I was in agony again. I called the urologist, telling them it was getting harder and harder for me to tell when I even had to legitimately urinate; that I was more or less going on time than urge. The nurse I spoke with told me to soak in a hot tub, and if that didn't help to come down right away, because I might need to be catheterized. I soaked in the tub for about 45-minutes, but didn't feel it really helped, so I sped off to the urologist.

They did what I had feared they would: a cystoscopy. The DOCTOR (thank God!) who did it said everything looked pretty good, but that my prostate looked slightly inflamed and [i]maybe[/i] a bit enlarged. He told me to stay on the Cipro, but also prescribed Flomax (and wow is it expensive) and told me to try and masturbate more often (I hadn't at all since I first got over the initial UTI). I went home, still in discomfort, but at least felt a bit more optimistic now; as if the problem had finally been thoroughly checked out and I would soon be on the road to recovery.

I believe it was a week later that I was calling in desperation, asking for another appointment, because I not only felt no improvement, but actually worse. This time, upon the advice of a friend of my mother's who is a former nurse, I asked for a specific urologist at the same medical group, and he was nice enough to get me in right away.

Very empathetic, this doctor said he sees this problem all the time and that he's going to fix me. I broke down because I was so happy that I thought someone was finally going to make me feel normal again. He took me off the Flomax and instead prescribed Vesicare. He went on to say, however, that he wanted to do another cystoscopy, just so he could see for himself, but that this time I would be under anesthesia so he could really look around in there. He also wanted to inflate my bladder and get a cat-scan.

I had the cat-scan two days before the procedure, and both went off without a hitch. Afterwords, while I was still under, the doctor told my parents (who have just been fantastic in helping me deal with all of this, both monetarily and emotionally) that everything looked great and that I'd be fine soon. He gave me a prescription of Celebrex to supposedly help with the inflammation (since the Motrin didn't seem to be doing anything), scheduled me for a follow-up in two weeks, and told me to take it easy in the meantime.

Getting through those two weeks was like torture. I still wasn't getting any better, and for the first three days, due to the procedure, I not only had to deal with the constant urge to urinate, but now it hurt when I finally did urinate. An Oxycodone prescription helped a bit with that, but as soon as the pain went away I stopped it because of how strong the stuff is. Not like I'm in pain now anyway; just misery.

So the two weeks finally passed, and I have to admit, the night before my follow-up appointment I was extremely depressed. I just knew from experience at this point that he was going to tell me to just deal with it, come back in a few weeks, and I'd be better. Sure enough, my worst fear came true. He didn't even do an physical examination or a DPE. Just to come back in a month if I didn't feel any improvement. Oh, and he also told me to see a psychiatrist and gave me a prescription for some anti-depression meds that seem to only make me tired.

And that's where I'm at now.

Guys, I've cried more in the last month than the rest of my 28-years on this Earth prior combined. I can't focus on anything anymore. I've actually had a lot of [b]good[/b] things happen for me in the past two weeks, but I can't get excited or enthused about any of them because I just don't feel normal anymore. I'm an avid exerciser, and I've lost 12 pounds of muscle in the last month because of this thing. Please help.

I'm going to go into a bit more detail about my symptoms now, as well as some of the ways outside of the meds I'm trying to treat them.

[b][u]My Symptoms:[/u][/b]
Biggest thing is the urge to urinate. Occasionally, I'll also have a burning sensation, but [b]not[/b] when I'm urinating. My stream seems strong enough, but I never really paid much attention to it before this, to be honest, so I don't really have much to compare it to. Also, after urination, I'll usually feel a [b]stronger[/b] urge to go than before I went, as well as a sensation that there are still a few drops left in the tip of my penis. Feels like I may dribble a bit every now and then in my pants after voiding, but I've never felt down there to be sure. The strong urge usually subsides a bit after 30-minutes to an hour, but it's always there.

Lately, I've also been getting a dull ache in my pubic area, typically when I really, really have to go. I also noticed a red ring encompassing and expanding out from the tip of my penis, around the urethra, the other night, but again, I never paid much attention to down there before. It's very well possible it's always looked like that, but since my urologist didn't even bother to look this past week, who knows if it's normal?

All of my symptoms seem to escalate as the day goes on, and by 10PM or so I'm usually so drained that I just break down and sob for an hour. I try not to; I try to relax and remain calm, but by the end of the day I just can't keep up the facade any longer.

On a side note, I've masturbated twice since being diagnosed. It didn't hurt during the action or upon ejaculation, nor did it seem to make my ongoing symptoms better or worse. However, I did notice some yellow streaks in my semen upon close examination the second time. I told my urologist, but he said some discoloration is normal for everyone, especially for me considering the trauma my system has been through lately (mainly the cystoscopy).

[b][u]Current Treatment:[/u][/b]
500mg of Cipro, 2X a day.
10mg of Vesicare, 1X a day
250mg of Celebrax, 1X a day (for inflammation)
Anti-depressant, which I can't remember offhand and don't have it on me. Atryptacyclene, or something like that, I believe.

As well as:

Prosta-Q - An herbal supplement my mother's friend (the nurse) recommended I try. 2X a day. Contains Saw Palmetto, Zinc (5mg), Quercetin, Cranberry, Bromelain, and Papain.

Prostatrol Forte - Another herbal supplement that my GP recommended (he's big on the holistic stuff). 1X a day. Contains Zinc (8mg), Selenium (50mcg), Copper (500mg), Saw Palmetto (300mg), Nettles Root Extract (120mg), and Pygeum Bark Extract (50mg).

St. Johns Wart - 400mg, 1X a day.

Vitamin C - 500mg 1X a day.

The multivitamin I've always taken, 1X a day.

I'm also taking probiotics twice a day now, for a couple of reasons I'll get into later, but largely because I've always hated taking antibiotics, and taking everything I am right now is just killing me.

I also take a very, very hot bath in the evening, and sometimes in the afternoon if I have the time. 20-30 minutes a soak. Honestly, I don't really know if they do anything, but couldn't hurt, right?

My GP gave me an anal heater, which I haven't gotten up the nerve to try yet. I'm in such agony, though, today might be the day. He also said he'd give me vitamin C intravenously and that might help. I'm not really sure about that, though. I've also looked into electric prostate massagers, but my urologist said there's little difference between that and masturbation. Opinions?

I have a book, "A Headache in the Pelvis" on order, which I've read mixed things about, but anything's worth a shot at this point. Might look into a physical therapist, acupuncturist, or take a trip to my chiropractor if the info in the book sounds promising and encourages that sort of thing.

[b][u]Potential Causes/Diagnosis:[/u][/b]
Obviously the prostatitis seems to be the most popular choice among my physicians, despite the fact nothing has worked for me thus far and no bacteria has ever been found in me since being diagnosed.

With that said, I don't want to rule anything else out, and it seems like all the doctors I've seen just have tunnel vision at this point.

Has anyone here ever heard of Candidiasis? I first learned of this a couple of nights ago after noticing the redness on my penis. The reason I'm thinking this might be a culprit is I haven't done [b]anything[/b] that many prostatitis sufferers seem to do and later stop doing to help calm their symptoms. What I'm trying to say is, I don't drink alcohol (never have), caffeine (not for at least ten years), or smoke (never have), so it's not like I can cut any of these things out to help me; I never did any of them to begin with! In fact, all I drink is water, and that's been true for the last decade or so.

However, my one vice is cereal. I have a huge bowl every morning. Nothing too sugary (Cheerios, Fiber One, Kix, Special K, and Honey Bunches of Oats are my favorites). I also follow this up with vanilla yogurt (and yes, I've made sure to take the Cipro several hours in advance), a plain, dry bagel, and a banana. This is nearly every morning of the year, I eat this. And perhaps worth noting, after I got the initial UTI, I hurt my knee, and became unable to walk or run, both of which I did on a daily basis before the injury. So I'm just theorizing here that all that processed sugar and such may have accumulated in my system, and caused Candidiasis, which I've read on a couple of (suspect) websites is often misdiagnosed as prostatitis. Possible? I started taking probiotics yesterday and cut out the carbs starting today. I'm praying to God it works.

My other theory--and one I'm not really fond of, but what can I do?--is that this is all mental. In all honesty, every time I get a UTI I'm terrified the meds won't work this time. It's, in my opinion, one of the most horrible feelings in the world, and now I'm living with it 24/7. It's like my worst nightmare come true. That's why I've ordered the "Headache in the Pelvis" book. I've tried to stay calm through all of this, and maintain a positive attitude; that I will get better. But after a couple of days, I just can't focus anymore, and I always end up breaking down and weeping uncontrollably. I feel like my life is over, and I never even really lived. So it's hard to break this cycle. If it is all mental, it's hard to tell myself I'll get better when I've been miserable for so long.

Anyone have any opinions on this, or know if positive thinking has ever cured anyone of prostatitis? If so, that may just give me some hope, if even only a little bit.

[b][u]Summary:[/u][/b]
I'm a 28 year-old male with a history of UTIs suffering from what's been diagnosed three times over now as prostatitis for the past five weeks or so. My symptoms are frequent urge to urinate, an occasional mild burning sensation (but not during urination) in my penis, and a feeling as if I have urine in my penis accompanied by an increased urge to urinate [b]after[/b] voiding.

I'm currently taking Ciprofloxacin and a number of other drugs and supplements to treat the problem, thus far with no signs of success. Doxycyclene is the next course of treatment I've been recommend by my urologist, but not until after another month of the Cipro (it's already been four weeks, plus two weeks of 250mg).

I'm extremely depressed and worry I could have been either misdiagnosed (Candidiasis) or am causing the problem myself inadvertently due to my mental state.

Any help anyone here can offer me is greatly appreciated. Recommended treatments, diet, or doctors, whatever you have to offer I'll accept. Honestly, I'm terrified to change urologists now because I don't want to have to undergo the same battery of tests all over again, but if you guys think I should, I definitely will.

I just want my life back. I pray every night that if I get my life back I'll do so much more with it than I did before I fell ill, but I'm very, very quickly running out of faith that I'll ever get the chance to do that.

Thank you all very much for enduring this long-winded post, and again, I appreciate any advice or words of encouragement you can offer me.

Shirokuma 09-05-2010 04:36 PM

Re: Need Advice and Reassurance (Prostatitis?)

I had something like that for a while in the winter, not nearly to the extent of your case though. It turned out that I needed to keep my pelvis warmer.

Also quit all alcohol, caffeine etc.

If you have ac is it blowing on you when you sleep? Draughts on your back etc.

Ropes End 09-06-2010 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it has anything to do with the cold. I live in Florida, and it's been very hot this summer, not to mention I sleep in the warmest room in the house. I wish I could cut out alcohol or caffeine, but I don't drink either one in the first place, and in the case of alcohol, I never have.

Also, something I think I forgot to mention in my original post: I have absolutely no labido whatsoever, which makes the "therapy" of having to masturbate that much more difficult. It could just be that I feel miserable and depressed, so naturally my interest in sex has become moot, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Anyway, thanks again.

Firstlive 09-06-2010 02:56 PM

That certainly sounds very horrible; I can definitely empathize with you. I've had recurrent chemical epididymitis for 4.5 years now, and nobody can tell me for certain what the cause is. During my last visit to my urologist in February, he suspected there could be a psychosomatic component to it, since my ultrasound was fine. I am open to that possibility, however it is always hard for me to believe the mind can be that powerful! I guess in your case, it is always a possibility too.

Perhaps a more important question is why you've had UTIs for so long. I thought that was a problem that mostly women get. You've certainly thrown a lot of antibiotics at these bugs, and it is hard to believe they could have survived that onslaught. However, I guess it's possible that they have become resistant to the drugs if they were not completely eliminated in the past. Also, antibiotics are not selective in which bacteria they kill. They kill both good and bad bacteria in your system; including a lot of helpful bacteria and flora in your gut. I see that you're taking probiotics, but I just wonder if the antibiotics keep wiping them out each time they are introduced.

Have you ever heard of Colloidal Silver before? I believe it is mostly used topically, but it can be used to kill any bacteria it comes into direct contact with. Apparently the bugs can't develop resistance to it because the silver particles will always kill them when it comes into contact. I've also heard that it leaves good bacteria alone somehow, but I don't know how that's possible. If your cause is indeed bacterial, there's a remote possibility it might help. I'm not sure if you can somehow apply it directly your prostate or not. I'm not sure if ingesting it internally will help either. Perhaps do some research on it if you believe your cause is still a bacterial one.

All your mental suffering you have talked about, from feeling you're not living life to the max because of this condition, to the whole libido thing, I've experienced as well. The whole libido thing is almost certainly in your mind. Since you're in pain, your mind will prioritize that over anything sexual. While I've suffered from my condition for a long period of time, thankfully it has been intermittent, and I've experienced relief inbetween flare-ups. With yours being chronic and constant, that must suck that many times more.

Try to beat this thing, and keep us posted on your progress!

Ropes End 09-06-2010 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=Firstlive;4322171]Try to beat this thing, and keep us posted on your progress![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I'm definitely trying to hang in there, but it gets tougher every day. I had my biggest "freak-out" yesterday just because this thing's wearing me down so much, and I almost wound up at the hospital again today at the advice of the on-call urologist; he didn't know what else to tell me to do to relieve the symptoms.

I have another appointment with my urologist on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll make it through tomorrow okay, but I'm just getting really, really tired at this point. I basically don't sleep anymore until I pass out from crying and exhaustion. I've read of people suffering with prostatitis for years, and I readily admit these are much stronger people than I. I really do feel like I'm going to have a mental breakdown soon if I don't get some relief.

Anyway, sorry to be such a downer. Thank you again for your advice. I'll look into that Colloidal Silver as soon as I can and should my symptoms improve I will absolutely post on here how and when in the hopes it might help someone else who is in my shoes. I honestly wouldn't wish this condition upon my worst enemy, and should I ever feel normal again I'm seriously going to try and become an advocate of some sort for those that are still suffering. It is unimaginably horrific how quickly and suddenly this thing has dismantled my life.

liberterian 09-07-2010 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Ropes End;4321612]Someone, please help me.

[b][u]My Symptoms:[/u][/b]
Biggest thing is the urge to urinate. Occasionally, I'll also have a burning sensation, but [b]not[/b] when I'm urinating. My stream seems strong enough, but I never really paid much attention to it before this, to be honest, so I don't really have much to compare it to. Also, after urination, I'll usually feel a [b]stronger[/b] urge to go than before I went, as well as a sensation that there are still a few drops left in the tip of my penis. Feels like I may dribble a bit every now and then in my pants after voiding, but I've never felt down there to be sure. The strong urge usually subsides a bit after 30-minutes to an hour, but it's always there.

Lately, I've also been getting a dull ache in my pubic area, typically when I really, really have to go. I also noticed a red ring encompassing and expanding out from the tip of my penis, around the urethra, the other night, but again, I never paid much attention to down there before. It's very well possible it's always looked like that, but since my urologist didn't even bother to look this past week, who knows if it's normal?

All of my symptoms seem to escalate as the day goes on, and by 10PM or so I'm usually so drained that I just break down and sob for an hour. I try not to; I try to relax and remain calm, but by the end of the day I just can't keep up the facade any longer.

On a side note, I've masturbated twice since being diagnosed. It didn't hurt during the action or upon ejaculation, nor did it seem to make my ongoing symptoms better or worse. However, I did notice some yellow streaks in my semen upon close examination the second time. I told my urologist, but he said some discoloration is normal for everyone, especially for me considering the trauma my system has been through lately (mainly the cystoscopy).[/QUOTE]

i wonder what is the cause of your UTI?you have not mentioned it .. UTIs are very uncommon in men compared to women..as for as i know most common causes of uti in men are either urinary stones or sexually transmitted diseases.
seecondly your psychological suffering is not in proportion to your physical symptoms..i have also burning and urgency of urination isssues ..but i dont have uti..may be some kind of inflamation of urethra..but i ve stoped taking medicines. n also i ve stopped paying to much attention to it...give your mind some other stimuli as well...e.g yoga,meditation,books,puzzles,movies,music,tv,sports,news....whatever works to keep your mind busy..so that it has less time for your urine issues..n whenever feel urgency..void it immediately n continue with your stimulus again immediately..drink plenty of water and cranberry juice as well

bames 10-04-2010 06:46 PM

There was a period of about 4 years where I had recurrent UTI's along with diagnosis of prostatitis, although not as bad as what you are experiencing, I was taking Cipro periodically along with Proscar, and never seemed to get complete relief. I racked my brain to think of what factors in my life could be causing such symptoms to occur. This may sound too simple to believe but the thing that solved my problem was a change in masturbation habit. Like a lot of men I had taken to masturbating at the keyboard in a seated postition. It occured to me that once the task was finished that semen in the urethra might have a tendency to back down into the prostate and possibly decay and fester. I adjusted my behavior to masturbate in a more natural position as if engaging in man on top sex, which seemed to me might facilitate proper draining of the urethra. Maybe it was just coincidence, but after a short time of practicing this technique my symptoms improved dramatically eventually disappearing entirely and today I have been symptom-free for more than 3 years. I hope this might help, sorry for all you have been going through

Ropes End 10-05-2010 12:39 AM

Thanks for the response, Bames, and I'm glad to hear you've been recovered for so long. As I said in my initial post, every urologist I've been to (and I've since visited another in another town over) has told me to masturbate; that it would help to quicken my recovery.

That said, last Sunday, I stopped taking all of my medications. It was sort of a moment of frustration and anger that brought on the decision to do so. My cipro had run out, seemingly doing nothing the whole time I was on it (two months), and I was supposed to start on doxycycline that Monday. Well, not only was I not getting any better the whole time I had been taking the cipro, but something I was taking had been slowly drying me out, to the point of not only was it becoming extremely difficult to swallow, but my clothes were beginning to scratch my skin, it being so dry.

So, yeah, I threw up my hands and said, "Screw it. I'm done." I'm the type of person who doesn't even like taking an aspirin when I have a headache, so you can imagine how [i]thrilled[/i] I was taking all the stuff I was. I haven't really gotten any better since I stopped taking all those meds, but I haven't gotten any worse either, and at least I can swallow when I eat and sweat when I exercise again. Plus, no more worries of bursting a tendon.

Anyway, to your advice, Bomes, in addition to dropping the meds, I've read some other people on the Internet suffering from my same symptoms and many of them recommended stopping masturbation altogether for an extended period of time. Under the recommendation of the urologists, I've been [i]trying[/i] to masturbate twice a week, despite my already low libido being that much lower since suffering these symptoms, but since--like the meds--it hasn't seemed to help either, I've also decided to take a break from it as well. I figure if I get the urge, then I'll--I don't know--actually listen to my body and do it, but certainly forcing myself to get off when I really wasn't eager to wasn't helping the situation any.

As for my masturbation habits, you're right: I'd typically be in either a laying or sitting position, so you're theory definitely sounds like a possibility, if this is indeed some sort of infection, anyway. When I'm well again, I think I'll try and keep my erotic habits strictly to the standing position in the shower like I did once upon a time in high school, just to stay on the safe side.

Finally, and I'm typing this out both for my own therapy as well as in the event that it may help someone out there Googling for advice or tips, I also started reading the book [i]A Headache In The Pelvis[/i] a few days ago, and I'm now currently operating under the assumption that this is all indeed a mental thing for me. I've started going to the movies on an almost nightly basis, reading more books, and even going back to my old high school days of playing a video game here and there in my free time to help distract my mind. I haven't noticed any notable changes just yet, but the book says it takes time, and in all honesty, I'm trying not to pay my symptoms any attention, anyway. Starting last week, I also started going to my chiropractor three times a week, as he knows a few techniques to help calm the pelvic floor muscles. Wish me luck. I'll report back with any progress I might have.

Unfortunately, I have to go see my primary urologist again this Wednesday, but I'm of the mind right now that I'm just going to tell him off and be on my way. I've called him twice since my last visit nearly a month ago, looking for any advice or help in alleviating my symptoms, explaining that nothing he had thus far prescribed was working, and I was both times basically treated like a nuisance/crazy person by the nurses I spoke with. Fine, you deal with cancer patients and others a lot worse off than me. I get that, but at the same time I'm nevertheless myself still suffering; you could at least feign some compassion. Yeah, just needed to get that off my chest, too.

Liberterian, thank you as well for your thoughtful post. I don't know why I've gotten UTIs at all in the past either, as I'm now very much aware of how rare they are in men, especially one in my current position. What I mean by that is, I have never had sex, I'm sorry to say. Not out of religious reasons or anything; I'm just not that great with women, unfortunately. On the plus side, however, that fact alone immediately ruled out a whole battery of diseases when this problem first cropped up.

To be honest, though, having been reading [i]A Headache In The Pelvis,[/i] I'm not so certain I was ever actually suffering from UTIs in the first place. As I believe I stated in my first post, my GP never ran a culture on my urine; he simply found pus in it and stated to me that's indicative of an infection. However, two of the three urologists I've spoken with and one ER doctor have all told me that pus alone is not a good indicator; a culture must be done to be sure there actually is an infection, and that's something my GP never did due to cost reasons. Needless to say, I've an appointment with a new GP next month, and if he's any good, he'll be my new primary care physician from now on.

Anyway, this post became a whole lot longer than I originally intended it to be, so I apologize for my long-windedness. Guess I'm just in a typing mood tonight. Thanks again to everyone who's responded, and again, if I have any results at all in the coming days, weeks, or months, I'll be sure to post them here out of the hope it might be of some benefit to others who are suffering from the same symptoms too, both now and in the future. Until then, I plan to stay positive and live day to day knowing that I will get better eventually with time and the proper treatment, both physically as well as mentally.

Thanks again, and good luck to all the others on here suffering from the same condition as me. Stay positive: [b]We will beat this thing, guys.[/b]

ScottHale1985 11-02-2010 07:35 PM

Hello
I wish I wasn't on here agreeing to at least the symptoms and abnormalities of what your describing in your past. I will say I've always dealt with Urinary Issues from a child. When I was young, as in single digits, i remember I had to have a procedure done with the internal camera which turned up, from what I remember as tangled nervesm which was broking up by the camera itself. This later was a culprit in a later episode in which I was diagnosed with Urethral Stricture (narrowing of the urethra at a certain point). Doctors claimed that this was probably caused by scar tissue from the prior procedure. All this was brought on by the current symptoms I'm getting back at AGE 24. The first DVIU seemed to be succesful (DVIU procedure in 9th grade Highschool). Also note that Stricture can accur from bacteria, uti, etc. Thats why I throw that out to you.
Note that I am feeling these urges and constant discomfort around my prostate area. I too have scoured all the forums with soo many mixed references and suggestions. But yours seems to match mine the most, especially thinking it may be mental. Or it may be we both need the procedure done. Urethral strictures can come back, since scar tissue will form after the first and so on. Not saying you should put this on the list of worries and what ifs...but basically I want to trade whatever I find with your experience as well. Please contact me!!!

JM792 11-03-2010 03:19 PM

Hi, Ropes End I wish I had come across your thread one year ago!

I suffered a similar experience as you.......

[I]'Biggest thing is the urge to urinate. Occasionally, I'll also have a burning sensation, but not when I'm urinating.'[/I]

Also we are the same age.

The pain that accompanied my symptons was unbearable and I had bleeding from the penis that was very frightening. It started from a urine infection and in spread to the prostate.

3 Months, 5 visits to my doctor and various tests Prostatitis was assumed. Though it is a hard one for them to diagnose. One month of Cipro sorted out the Prostatitis thankfully.

However as ScottHale1985, they found I had a urethral stricture. I had this cut open to remove the stricture (urethotomy) under general 2 weeks ago.

One thing I have learned over the past year is MEN SHOULD NOT GET URINE INFECTIONS especialy at our age. There is an underlying condition 99% of the time, e.g. urethral stricture, stones passing or STD etc

'[I]and I'm now currently operating under the assumption that this is all indeed a mental thing for me[/I].'

I understand your thinking this and it is worth looking at. However you should not have got urine infections, this, to me, is evidence that somthing is not right. I read that you are questioning your actualy having UTIs, but reading your experience realy sounds exactly like my experience, especialy when you describe going to the doctors as you feel the syptoms 'comming on'. I remember that feeling only to well.

Don't say goodbye to your urologist just yet. Make sure you have every test you can first. Especialy the urine flow test, where they test the flow speed you urinate at. I thought I was normal untill they told me I peed at the same rate as a 87 year old!

Seriously sorry your going through this. Urethral pain is unlike any other I have experienced. It is the worst and most intense discomfort I can imagine.

Good luck, J

p.s. ScottHale1985 I have sent you a friend request. I hope that is okay? I really would like to get some info from you about your DVIU recovery as I had one 2 weeks ago. Not sure how to pm you

ScottHale1985 11-03-2010 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=Mrurethra;4616333]Hi, Ropes End I wish I had come across your thread one year ago!

I suffered a similar experience as you.......

[I]'Biggest thing is the urge to urinate. Occasionally, I'll also have a burning sensation, but not when I'm urinating.'[/I]

Also we are the same age.

The pain that accompanied my symptons was unbearable and I had bleeding from the penis that was very frightening. It started from a urine infection and in spread to the prostate.

3 Months, 5 visits to my doctor and various tests Prostatitis was assumed. Though it is a hard one for them to diagnose. One month of Cipro sorted out the Prostatitis thankfully.

However as ScottHale1985, they found I had a urethral stricture. I had this cut open to remove the stricture (urethotomy) under general 2 weeks ago.

One thing I have learned over the past year is MEN SHOULD NOT GET URINE INFECTIONS especialy at our age. There is an underlying condition 99% of the time, e.g. urethral stricture, stones passing or STD etc

'[I]and I'm now currently operating under the assumption that this is all indeed a mental thing for me[/I].'

I understand your thinking this and it is worth looking at. However you should not have got urine infections, this, to me, is evidence that somthing is not right. I read that you are questioning your actualy having UTIs, but reading your experience realy sounds exactly like my experience, especialy when you describe going to the doctors as you feel the syptoms 'comming on'. I remember that feeling only to well.

Don't say goodbye to your urologist just yet. Make sure you have every test you can first. Especialy the urine flow test, where they test the flow speed you urinate at. I thought I was normal untill they told me I peed at the same rate as a 87 year old!

Seriously sorry your going through this. Urethral pain is unlike any other I have experienced. It is the worst and most intense discomfort I can imagine.

Good luck, J

p.s. ScottHale1985 I have sent you a friend request. I hope that is okay? I really would like to get some info from you about your DVIU recovery as I had one 2 weeks ago. Not sure how to pm you[/QUOTE]
Well it was roughly 10 years ago. My recovery wasn't too bad, although I never fair well with the gas or iv anaesthesia. After coming too I usually suffer from dry heaving for hours on end shortly after. But after that it was pretty straight forward. Had to wear a catheter for 2 weeks. Had its advantages and disadvantages. Biggest advantage was not having to urinate....lol. Biggest con was the pinching experienced once in awhile when the tip of the penis would rub along the dry tube. Just use a little lube at night etc. The only other traumatic part of that was the removal...the catheter did not remove very easily (it could've been my clinching in fear). But once it gave if flew out with some blood. Anyhow i can't recall much after the removal and actual procedure. Be aware if not discussed with you already, there are possibilities of a re-assurance. I'm praying now that its not coming back to haunt me 10 years later. Most text indicates it usually comes back around 3-5 years later if it does. I'm having trouble sorting the certain symptoms which can lead to either, Prostatitis, Pelvic Floor Syndrome, UTI, Urethritis, IC. I fear the long drawn out pursuit that sufferers such as Ropes End has dealt with.
My current stress with the possibility of another DVIU is monetary, back when I first had it done I was barely in Highschool thus under my parents insurance plan. I do have insurance now, but there will be out of pocket. I guess what I have to look at is advice I once saw someone give to another forumer ("Better to be broke, than broken"). Either way I'm still reluctant to call the URO, all starts over from there. I remember for the test alone I had to get a narrow tube inserted and fluid forced into my bladder so they could take XRAYs of the fluid, problem of that was the fact of "stage fright" which made it impossible to urinate in front of the xray tech and nurse.

Ropes End 11-04-2010 07:44 PM

Hey, guys. Thanks for your posts. I'm still suffering from my symptoms, unfortunately, but I have been back to my urologist. He's a very nice guy, honestly, but I'm tired of the lack of results, is all. I'm currently on Doxycycline now, but I had to stop taking it for about a week after it began aggravating my throat. Started taking it again today, but I actually have to go in for an ultrasound of my neck tomorrow to make sure my esophagus is okay. Gotta love the meds they put you on for this stuff. And yeah, it really doesn't seem to be helping so far, other than reassuring me I at least [i]can't possibly[/i] have a UTI, despite constantly feeling as if I do.

As for the stricture, I've had two cystoscopies so far--one awake and the other under anesthetic--by two separate urologists and both assured me that everything looked normal. Even my prostate didn't look inflamed, they told me, which is why I'm currently suspecting my mental state as the cause of my symptoms. It really is all I think about, even when I try not to. Add to that that I've since been given a prescription of Xanax, which I take at night, and I have to admit that about an hour after taking it, I do usually feel notable improvement of my symptoms. The urge isn't as bad and even my flow seems a bit stronger.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate your input, and when next I go to see my urologist I'll grill him on the stricture issue, just to be completely sure. I hate the idea of having to get yet [i]another[/i] cystoscopy to rule such a possibility out, but I want to fix with whatever's wrong with me, too, so what choice do I really have, I guess? I'd like to get another opinion, but there must be some sort of doctor politics going on in my town that I don't know about, because whenever I try to get an appointment with another urologist practice here, they tell me they won't see me. I have to go to the next town over whenever I want an outside opinion, and it sucks.

I also have an appointment with the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, but unfortunately it's not until January, right when my deductible resets. Even so, I plan on using the money I was saving to go back to college before this thing hit me to pay for any medical bills I'll have to pay out of pocket, so if that's what it comes to, that what it comes to.

And you're right: I do want to know why I ever got UTIs to begin with. To this point, [i]no one[/i] has been able to give me a real answer on that one. My mother used to get them chronically, but she now takes medicine on a daily basis for it and (knock on wood) she's been fine ever since getting the prescription. I've assumed--though no doctor has told me this--that I just inherited her weakness of the immune system to that particular disorder, as we're both highly hygienic people, but who knows? Maybe it is some sort of physical thing in me that the docs have so far missed.

I'm just really, really sick of going to doctors at this point. I have to see two physical therapists right now, one for my knee (which crapped out on me right around the same time the initial UTI hit me; another reason I think this might be from stress), and another for my pelvic floor. That's two to four appointments every week, plus regular visits to my urologist, along with any tests he or the PTs schedule me for, along with a so far worthless orthopedist for my knee. It's hard to get your mind on other things in life when your life essential revolves around your "condition."

So yeah, it sucks, but I'm trying to hang in there and stay as optimistic as possible. I just miss feeling normal. Having relief after going to the bathroom instead of feeling dread. Looking at a pretty girl and feeling passion instead of regret of what might never happen now. Sitting through a movie and being able to enjoy it instead of worrying if I'm "leaking" in my pants like it sometimes feels as if I am.

Anyway, I'm just depressing myself now. I honestly try not to come here too often anymore because of that, so don't hold it against me if my next post isn't for a few days from now, should either of you kind fellas bother to reply.

Thanks again for your input and encouragement. I hope we all get better very soon, and I'll be sure to bump this thread with the precise details the exact moment I begin feeling like my old self again.

ScottHale1985 11-05-2010 12:17 AM

When asking about testing for stricture, (don't remember technical name) see if it'd be beneficial to do the test I had done at a younger age. The one where they will insert a thinner tube than a catheter up your urethra, and fill your bladder full of a special liquid that reacts to xrays. Then what they'll have you do is urinate while having the xray showing where the pinch could be coming from or how the fluid is traveling out. Also, I would look more into the sole idea of Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion, and/or IC. Since those can be triggered by stress. What is the therapist doing to your pelvic floor now??? Release points? Could be likely with all the stress and anxiety you have over this now, that PFD could be a possibility, no? BTW I just scheduled an appointment for URO next Friday. My symptoms will come and go for couple days on, couple days off. Even considering PFD at this point.

BostonGuy85 11-07-2010 05:18 PM

Ropes End and everyone else who has posted on here, Thank You for your honesty when dealing with these symptoms. I am a 25 year old male who has struggled with the same annoying, seemingly endless misdiagnoses of the same complaints. Every test has come back without any sign of bacteria or annoying ultrasounds have come back completely normal. Definitely feel your pain when you think that the next Dr's visit will be the one to have you cured only to have nothing happen/be solved. It is completely demoralizing. I have my first cystoscopy scheduled for this Tuesday (I'm extremely nervous, I just keep thinking of all the things it could possible be) I'm currently on my 3rd week of a 6 week course of Cipro (it does nothing). The Dr. said my prostate felt "a little spongy" and I was automatically diagnosed with Prostatitis. Like you said in an earlier post, the Motrin does nothing. When you pee do you ever feel like you have to "milk" out the rest of the urine so that it will all come out?

When I drink alcohol (rarely) it significantly cuts down on my ability to pass urine. I can hardly go at all. I was wondering if this was a symptom anyone else has ever encountered. It seems like every day, my stream is different (either weaker or stronger) and the pain comes and goes. When I first started taking the Cipro, everything seemed to clear up for about 2 days, then came back again. It is extremely annoying.

Just wanted to let you know, you're definitely not alone and I will share exactly what happens on Tuesday.

JM792 11-08-2010 01:40 AM

hi BostonGuy85.

Just a quick shout out as I am ment to be moving house today.

Don't worry too much about the cystoscopy. I avoided it for one whole year. I read too much about it and really freaked myself out.

I finaly had it 2 months ago and it was absolutly nothing. Less painfull than a blood test or injection, and I have a tight urethra so you may feel nothing. It was over in a few mins, I even had a look down the camera myself.

i will check back to see how it went!

J