It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2000, 01:30 PM   #1

Curt HB User
Chronic Prostatitis

I've been diagnosed with Chronic Prostatitis. I am a very healthy 38 year old man, who works out a lot, watches what he eats, and in general feels well most of the time . That is, until three years ago when I started with the following symptoms: Frequent urination (sometimes with burning), pain in my entire groin, and rectal area, pain at and after ejaculation, and a significant drop in libido.

Three doctors later, after numerous rectal exams, prostatic fluid microscopic exams, and a transrectal ultrasound, I am told that I have Chronic Prostatitis. The prognosis, so I'm told, is not good. So far, the medications I've been prescribed have done very little, but have included roughly four months of antibiotics total, Flomax, Cardura, and valium. Granted, it's not like this is going to quickly end my life or anything, but I am very tired of feeling this way. Fortunately it does seem to have ups as well as downs, so I do have periods when I feel pretty normal.

What I'm interested in is hearing about other men who have the same condition and what (if anything) they are doing to alleviate symptoms. In addition, I have tried sitz baths (works some) and taking saw palmetto too (which I am taking now - but I have not yet noticed any improvement).

By the way, my ultrasound showed some signs of calcification, but the docs tell me it is not significant enough to cause my symptoms alone, or would it warrent any invasive procedures for removal.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks<p>[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 12-14-2000).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2000, 03:18 PM   #2

jmarchett1 HB User
Re: Chronic Prostatitis

My understanding of chronic prostatitis is that no one really understands why some males suffer from this ailment. However, sometimes chronic prostatitis may respond to prostatic massage or you can help yourself by masturbating (5-7 times a week). The theory is that the prostate gets congested from its own secretions and causes a local inflammatory reaction.
Let me know if this helps.
jmarchett1

Old 12-27-2000, 11:34 PM   #3

Curt HB User

jmarchett1,

Thanks for the info. I have read about prostate massage as a treatment, but have never had a doctor recommend it (and I've talked to three different ones about this Prostatitis - my GP and two urologists). From what I've read, it is something that isn't very easy to self-do either, and I'm not so sure I want to ask my wife to help me out with it, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage I guess.

I am trying to ejaculate regulary, but to be honest, when the prostatitis is at its worst, it can almost be somewhat uncomfortable to orgasm. Right now I'm still taking Cardura and Saw Palmetto, but honestly don't notice much improvement. I did get some better after almost two months of Cipro, but already I can sense a relapse.

I've seen on the net that there are a number of "experts" on the condition out there, but none in my area.

Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2001, 07:18 PM   #4

Ranger HB User

Hi,

I'm 34 and have the same condition. I wondered what was going on for six months. I was given really strong antibiotics. They seemed to help, but I was also told to cut out coffee. When I drink a lot of coffee, I feel the discomfort again. When I lay off of it, the pain goes away. I'm trying to strike the best compromise. I was told it wasn't the caffeine, so decaf doesn't help. It's something common to coffee, colas, and some other similar things, but not caffeine.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2001, 07:29 PM   #5

Moose00 HB User

I had a bout of it a couple of years ago. Physician told me to lay off sex and masturbation for a while. I found willpower I never knew I had. Anyway it did the trick along with fish oil(anti-inflammatory). Not the greatest remedy but it worked for me.

Closed Thread