It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
(male)

matt127 HB User
I had prostatitis. I healed myself.

I developed prostatitis almost two years ago. I spent a whole summer in agony. Before I found the correct treatment (which I found on my own not from a urologist), I posted on this message board searching for help. I recently came back to that post and can see a lot of the people on this message board are in the same position I was in. I've been replying to individual threads but think it will be more helpful if I start a new one. There's a few important things to understand about the problem that you won't always learn in a urologists office. First, the problem is caused by myofascial trigger points in the pelvic floor muscles. Myofascial trigger points area tight bands of muscles and connective tissue. They may form in one are and refer pain to a different area. This is why it doesn't always have an effect when you massage the painful area of your pelvis. Furthermore, when the pudendal nerve is affected by these trigger points it can cause alarming symptoms such as urethral burning. The second most important thing to understand about this problem is you need to get past the idea of a quick "cure". It is a healing process. Prostatitis is caused by years of poor muscles habits. In my case I developed the horrible habit of always tensing my abdominal muscles. This coupled with a weak core and pore posture impeded flow of blood and other fluids to the prostate. This led to an infection, which left me with chronic issues. Thus, to recover from it you will need to make some lifestyle changes, and it may be some time before you are truly pain free.

The most important treatment technique is intra-rectal trigger point release. This involves inserting a finger into your rectum and pressing on sore spots for at least 90 seconds. It is also important to strengthen your core muscles (especially the transverse abdominus) and the stretch the hamstrings, hip flexors, lower back, obliques, and piriformis muscles. All of this is described somewhat in the book A Headache in the Pelvis. You can do a lot of this on your own. The book will recommended that you attend a clinic in California. Instead of this, I found a pelvic floor physical therapist in my area. They can help you reach areas that you cannot and help you develop your own self treatment techniques

In addition to what I described above another thing that will help you with your recovery is the supplement quercitin. It is an anti histamine and an anti inflammatory. I found the proprietary blend Q-urol to be a good brand. Serrapeptase is a good side effect free substitute for anti inflammatory drugs. Drink plenty of water. Avoid things that will make your urine more acidic e.g. coffee, alcohol, citrus, tomatoes, chocolate. Sexual activity can be good, but too much is harmful because it will cause the pelvic floor muscles to tighten. Antibiotics should only be used if there is evidence of an infection. My symptoms started with an infection, but did go not away when the infection cleared. This is because the infection caused the muscles to inflame, which caused them to shorten and start spasming. Also unless if there a clear indication for it STAY AWAY FROM SURGERY!

You can heal yourself!!! It just takes time and dedication. I am 99% pain free today. I can do my job, live my life the way I want to, and even lift weights. Good luck to all of you. I hope this helps. Please message me if you have any questions.

Last edited by matt127; 01-01-2011 at 10:36 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to matt127 For This Useful Post:
HiFly (08-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
(male)

busted011 HB User
Re: I had prostatitis. I healed myself.

Hi Matt,

Great post, I have a couple of questions for you. I have been dealing with CPPS for the last year and have just purchases "A headache in the Pelvis" and am about half way through it. Just starting to apply the relaxation techniques and it has helped me tremendously. Just knowing that what I have it not caused by any type of infection in itself has calmed my nervous system down.

Now, as for my question. The one thing that I cannot seem to get under control (or at least it wax's and wanes the most) is the urinary symptoms. I have not started an sort of Physical Therapy plan (just starting that chapter). But in your experience, what worked best for you. I find that the thing that bother's me the most is the uncomfort in my urinary tract (pain/burning/aching ect.), with the relaxation the pain and tension in my pelvis is almost gone but the urinary thing seems to linger.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
(male)

JammyD HB User
Re: I had prostatitis. I healed myself.

Hi Matt,

I'm trying to do the same thing. Have got the book and working through it.

Can you give any advice on the internal trigger point treatment - did you do it all yourself and see what worked best? Is it as simple as finding tight painful areas and pressing on them for 90 secs?

Who did you ask about the pelvic floor therapy? - did you try a osteopath or physio?

Thanks,

Jamie

Closed Thread