It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
(male)

Chris8920 HB User
Possible Prostate Infection - Losing sleep

Hi,

So for quite some time now I've had a occasional problem urinating. When I really need to urinate, it can be difficult to start and continue urinating. Then, more recently, I noticed if I urinate soon after ejaculating, it can slightly burn in the tip of my penis. I went to the doctor today who suspected a prostate infection, and she's sending me to a urologist.

My worry, however, is how long I've had this problem...it's been at least a year and a half now, and I somewhat ignored the symptoms till now...which I'm aware was probably not the greatest idea. I'm just worried when I see the urologist he'll find it's spread elsewhere and/or caused cancer...I'm quite the worrier as it is, I'm just looking for some advice that may help me sleep better at night until I've actually seen the urologist. How long does something like an infected prostate/prostatis generally take to spread if left untreated, and would I be experiencing more symptoms if so?

I'm a 22 year old with a relatively healthy lifestyle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
(male)

Chris8920 HB User
Re: Possible Prostate Infection - Losing sleep

I also want to add my PSA levels were relatively high according to my dr. I would really appreciate some feedback, I'm only 22 and am extremely worried...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
(male)

trout84 HB User

Hi,

So for quite some time now I've had a occasional problem urinating. When I really need to urinate, it can be difficult to start and continue urinating. Then, more recently, I noticed if I urinate soon after ejaculating, it can slightly burn in the tip of my penis. I went to the doctor today who suspected a prostate infection, and she's sending me to a urologist.

My worry, however, is how long I've had this problem...it's been at least a year and a half now, and I somewhat ignored the symptoms till now...which I'm aware was probably not the greatest idea. I'm just worried when I see the urologist he'll find it's spread elsewhere and/or caused cancer...I'm quite the worrier as it is, I'm just looking for some advice that may help me sleep better at night until I've actually seen the urologist. How long does something like an infected prostate/prostatis generally take to spread if left untreated, and would I be experiencing more symptoms if so?

I'm a 22 year old with a relatively healthy lifestyle.

Hello Chris, Welcome to the forums. I just joined myself. I am not a medical expert, but rather a fellow sufferer. I am 27 years old, married.
Your symptoms don't sound too bad from what I have read compared to many other men. I don't think your ignorance of symptoms is that big of deal. The Doc. will of course have the final say so on that, but many guys end up having to live with this condition. Surely your condition hasn't spread, as te prostate is both a gland and a muscle. A gland in that it makes prostate fluid which makes semen, and a muscle when it fires off a round (if you know what I mean).
I am sort of in the same boat as you, but I have additional symtpoms. When I push in the area behind the testicles and in my crotch, I feel what I describe as a dull ache. It isn't very sharp. It hasn't gone away, and I was diagnosed with prostatitis in July of 2011.
After ejaculation, I get the urge to urinate very bad for 2 to 3 days. This feeling never goes away completely. I constantly feel the need to urinate, and it is the worst symptom I have.
I also have pain in my urethra if I gently squeeze on the ol' Oscar Meyer weiner. It is less than pleasent but manageable.
I wake up at 330-430AM and cannot go back to sleep. I rise at 6AM normally, so I am grateful I an sleep or 4-5 hours a night and not at all. I take a sleep medicine that I was prescribed.
I am taking Ibuprofen 600mg 2-3 times a day, and 2 160mg Saw Palmetto. (Who knows if Saw Palmetto works, but for now I am giving it a crack).
As you requested, reassurance. From your post, I can tell you I have read stuff on Prostatitis that is downright scary. I find some reassurance in the fact that my symptoms are not as bad as what I have read. I am not sure if this will help you but here they are:
1. Some guys feel like they have a golf ball in their rectum.
2. Extreme pain when firing off a missile
3. Urge to urinate that never goes away.
4. Prostate pain
5. Extreme difficulty sitting.
I don't have any of the symptoms above, and I find strength in knowing I am not as bad as others. It is something I am truly grateful for. I could not imagine the pain and anxiety those symptoms cause. Maybe that can help you until you see a doctor. I hope it does.
Check our temperature two to three times a day. No fever is a good sign, and something to be thankful for. In addition to your ability to continue with your daily activities, which I think you can based off of your post.
In addition there are several types of prosatitis.
1. Acute - Bacterial Cause - treated with antibiotics.
2. Chronic Non-Bacterial - this one sucks, because it baffles doctors.
3. Inflammation - irritated prostate, sometimes from bike riding.
You need to get educated on this as much as possible before going to a doctor. Unfortunately, reading around on the internet will get a little scary. You get exaggerators, true sufferers, clowns who try to sell placebos to people who are in terrible pain (low-lives), and of course the reality that one form of prostatitis is very difficult to treat. It's tough, and I, like you am no expert, but another guy who is nervous right now.
You absolutely want to read reviews on local urologists, to aid your primary doctor in your referral. Sadly there are urologists who don't care. Find a uro that others like. That is the best place for you to start. You need a compassionate urologist.
Before your appointment make a list of questions/concerns. As many as you can think of. Waiting between appointments can be difficult. If you don't ask questions, they will treat you, but you will be in the dark. You may also lose out on care.
Remember, you are not alone. Many of us suffer. I am here for you man.

As far as infection goes, wait for confirmation. I think you don't have one. Infected prostates really set a guy back due to fatigue, fever, etc.

Hang in there for us.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
(male)

Chris8920 HB User

Thanks for the man, lots of relief. I do feel fortunate knowing that even if it is an infection it's clearly not as severe as many posts I have read. The main reason I was/am so concerned is my age...only being 22 and having the possibility of a prostate issue kind of freaks me out...mostly thinking long term. My symptoms are usually only after ejaculating, which I've recently been doing less of (in fear of worstening my condition).

Thanks again for the post, and I'll for sure let you know how my dr appt ends up going.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
(male)

trout84 HB User

Chris,

How are you doing today? Any change in your symptoms or conditions?

I feel the same way, 27 is also way too young to have long term prostate issues, and I have fears that are nearly identical to yours.

I need to ask you some questions to better assist you:

1. How many times per week do you masturbate now, and before you cutback? Did it vary from day to day?

2. Are you a homosexual? or a heterosexual?.

3. Do you practice safe sex?

4. Could you have an STD? Sometimes symptoms don't show up until later?

5. Do you practice unprotected anal sex? Oral?

6. When you masturbate, do you try and old back to last longer? This is not good for the prostate?

7. Is your urination flow normal? (i.e. driblling, weak stream, low aounts of urine, difficulty passing urine?)

8. Is your urine color normal?

9. Cramps in lower abdomen? Pain in groin? Painful ejaculation? Pain in urethra when you squeeze the penis?

10. Your semen is normal colored? Reasonable amount?

11. Incontinence?

12. Difficulty with erections? Keeping it up is an issue?

13. Bladder pains? Urge to urinate? Burining urination? Frequency?

14. Low back pain?

Sorry for the list, but I am trying to help steer you towards your issues.

The best piece of advice I have for you is to read up, and learn about your condition. There is only a few things it can be with a male. Are systes are simple. You need to be armed and ready for your appointment. Learn about he possible diagnosis' available, so that way when the Doc. gives you this diagnosis, you don't freeze up, unable to ask him questions. You want to get as much advice out of him as possible. When he tests you, don't accept that the test was OK, be ready to ask him what he saw that made him say that. If he diagnoses you with prostatitis, be sure to ask him which type you actually have. Don't just sit there with a blank look on your face. Unfortunately his practice is a business, and if he can get you out in 10 minutes, and bill you for 30 minutes, that is great for him. Don't let them pull that hogwash where they stand by the door ready to get rid of you. Tell them you have questions, and you need answers. Make sure when you go you get a diagnosis, a treatment plan, ask him about similar patients and their recovery/treatment. A follow up appointment is necesary.

I don't think that we have a problem that will go away overnight. We have an issue we will need to fight for a while.

We need to keep our heads high, support each other and work our way through this mess.

Good day my friend.

Closed Thread