It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
(male)

trout84 HB User
New to Prostatitis

I was diagnosed with prostatitis by a urologist in July of 2011.
I am a 27 y/o caucasian male. No medical history. Completely healthy before this.
I have had an additional urologist confirm this diagnosis.
The first urologist placed me on a 250mg treatment of Cipro for 2 weeks. I took this for a few days, and decided to get checked for STDs in the rare event that this was the culprit.
I went to immediate care clinic who tested me for STDs via urine and swab, and blood. He gave me a shot of rocephin and a 1 week prescription of Doxycycline. No improvement. All tests were negative.
Second urologist put me on Bactrim 500g 2 weeks. No improvement. Then he put me on 500mg Cipro, 2 weeks, no improvement.
Went back to original urologist, as I liked him better. He ordered a urine test to check for cancer. I was benign. This Saturday, October 15th, 2011 I will go for a CT Scan of the area to check for stones. He looked at my prostate fluid and urine, both had no White Blood Cells. A trace of red blood was found in urine, but again, just a trace.
My symptoms are, slight urge to urinate (very frequently). Pain in groin, particularly when I apply pressure. Multiple ejaculations will cause extreme urge to urinate which can go on for a few days. Anxiety attacks have been going on, but I am able t get a hold of myself quickly by reading a nice note my wife gave me reminding me all I have to be thankful for.
I don't run a temperature. I don't have high blood pressure. When I pee, I get a good flow, but the amount is about half of what it was 6 months ago. I wake up after about four hours of sleep and I urinate. Then I have difficulty falling asleep as I get nervous about my condition. Sometimes I go back to light sleep, and other nights I do not. This is making it difficult for me to work, and think. It is aggravating, and frustrating, and downright scary. I have never felt so helpless. If it weren't for my wife's support, I would be in worse shape now than I am in. That has been my fallback.
So I came here, looking to for the help of anyone who is in the same boat as me. I would appreciate any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, advice, etc. on this topic. I am very scared, and nervous. I just want my pain to go away. The rest will fall into place.
I have no idea how I got this. I assume since there are no White Blood Cells, I am a non-bacterial candidate. I don't ride bikes often. I am very afraid to go reading on google or anywhere, because the information is so inconclusive, and I cannot tell if some people are lying, trying to sell things, etc. Its just too scary to go reading. I am trusting the Doctors, God, and my wife.
I am hanging in there, and doing my best to keep myself together during this difficult battle.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me during this difficult time. I have never been through such a difficult issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
(male)

Estragon HB User
Re: New to Prostatitis

trout,

I don't know how useful I can be, but I can recount my experience.

I had a bout of prostatitis last year, lasting at least a month. I didn't have urination problems, but I did have a constant heavy, sometimes painful feeling, like someone had shoved a foreign object up my butt and I couldn't get rid of it.

The urologist was no help, and in fact suggested some aggressive treatment that alarmed me (like prostate massage). So I took matters into my own hands. I applied a combination of changes in diet, exercise, hot baths, and bought a "donut cushion" to sit on. Now, maybe it's just a coincidence, but after a while I started to feel my prostatitis recede. Within a couple of days, it was pretty much gone.

Over 18 months later, I sometimes get a 5-minute reminder of it, in the form of pain or heaviness in that region. But it hasn't seriously bothered me since.

As you say, searching the Internet for help can be frustrating, since you will read all kinds of contradictory things. I guess the overall message is that different approaches work for different people. Keep trying and don't succumb to despair.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
(male)

trout84 HB User

Estragon,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your kind post. Any post is helpful. I am here for support, and any words are sincerely appreciated. I am here for the long fight, I will hang in there, and I will not go down!

I have read about many other guys who have the object up the but feeling. I have not experienced this, thank God.

It sounds like you had a non-bacterial prostatitis. I am still not sure which type I have, to be honest. I did a CTIVP scan on Saturday. I will review the results with my Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. I will let you know what comes out of it.

I have been trying to take matters into my own hands, but so far I cannot find the actual cause.

I am not secumbing to despair, although I have been fighting slight anxiety and depression. Each day is an ongoing battle.

Thanks again for your kind words, and I'll let you know where I stand on Tuesday.

Trout

Last edited by trout84; 10-16-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
(male)

Estragon HB User

Trout - part of the problem with prostatitis is that it's an umbrella term for more than one condition.

I'm pretty sure I had non-bacterial prostatitis. It sounds like you might have it too. Some doctors prefer to call this "chronic pelvic pain syndrome" to distinguish it from the more acute bacterial form. You may want to research it using that term. One theory holds that it's a result of concentrating stress in the pelvic region (google "Wise-Anderson protocol" for details: they are the urologists who came up with that theory).

As I said, I can understand your apprehension about Internet research. But I personally found it very helpful.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
(male)

trout84 HB User

Estragon,

The umbrella term is an accurate description. That is exactly how I feel. The Doctor hasn't given me an actual diagnosis, but instead is leaving me hanging.

I will work to discover what sort of prostatitis I have.

I don't want to complain too much about my internet research. The contradictions ake me feel overwhelmed after reading it. It is as if though I am reading about something where there is no absolute solution, and each person's scenario is exclusively unique.

Well, I will continue the fight. I will not go down like a little sissy on this. I am a man, and I will hang in there. Tomorrow I meet with my urologist. I have a slew of questions for him.

I have an appointment with Loyola in Maywood, IL a few days before Thanksgiving, which is one of the top ranked programs in the USA. If my current Uro cannot muscle this problem, I am sure Loyola will step up to the plate.

I will be cured. Thanks for your support Estragon.

Closed Thread