It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
(male)

doubledown25 HB User
On antibiotics; how long until it clears? New symptoms?

Hi,
I've had what I believe to be prostatitis on and off for the last year and half.
I've been to my GP and urologist about it, both basically just telling me to "live with it".
I went to a different urologist last week and she told me I either have prostatitis or pelvic floor muscle disorder.
She took a prostate fluid smaple and urine culture. I have a follow up appt in another week.
I'm on Cipro 500mg's twice a day for two months and Uroaxtral.
I started taking the antibiotics and the next day I felt 80% better, then my symptoms returned the following day and dont seem to be getting better.
I'm also finding that first thing in the morning I'm sometimes not able to urinate dispite needing too (very scary).
How long will it take for this to start to clear if it really is prostatitis?
Symptoms: Urinary hestency, retention, sometimes low flow, off and on pain and tightness in the prostate region.
Thanks much!

Last edited by doubledown25; 01-09-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

jeff186 HB User
Re: On antibiotics; how until it clears? New symptoms?

I am going through the same thing! Are you feeling any better yet? How long have you been Cipro? What are your other symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
(male)

quincy1man HB User
Re: On antibiotics; how long until it clears? New symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown25 View Post
Hi,
I've had what I believe to be prostatitis on and off for the last year and half.
I've been to my GP and urologist about it, both basically just telling me to "live with it".
I went to a different urologist last week and she told me I either have prostatitis or pelvic floor muscle disorder.
She took a prostate fluid smaple and urine culture. I have a follow up appt in another week.
I'm on Cipro 500mg's twice a day for two months and Uroaxtral.
I started taking the antibiotics and the next day I felt 80% better, then my symptoms returned the following day and dont seem to be getting better.
I'm also finding that first thing in the morning I'm sometimes not able to urinate dispite needing too (very scary).
How long will it take for this to start to clear if it really is prostatitis?
Symptoms: Urinary hestency, retention, sometimes low flow, off and on pain and tightness in the prostate region.
Thanks much!
wow, I have exact same symptoms. Been to 3, yes 3, urologists to figure out what to do. Had rectal ultrasound and bladder ultra sound. Have alot of calcificiation in prostate.

This has been going on non stop since THanksgiving and I know some guys here have suffered for years, so I don't mean to moan about it.

My latest concern is either cancer of prostate or bladder and I am only 50. Cultures came back negative. Waiting on the urine cytology report.

has anyone had the cystoscopy? I am told it can make your symptoms worse? don't know what else to do. Taking hot baths, ibuprofen, quercitin and uroxetral... what to do what to do....

Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
(male)

submalst88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy1man View Post
wow, I have exact same symptoms. Been to 3, yes 3, urologists to figure out what to do. Had rectal ultrasound and bladder ultra sound. Have alot of calcificiation in prostate.
How did you find out you had calcificiation in the prostate? Was is from the rectal ultrasound?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
(male)

quincy1man HB User

i had several ct scans before my recent rectal ultrasound that also showed calcification of the prostate. the first urologist told me that it was normal part of aging, the second urologist i went to for second opinion was shocked by the amount and said this indicated repeated past infections not treated. so my guess is that the stones are holding in bacteria that might be trapped and will not come out for semen culture or urine. only cipro can penetrate this from my understanding... ? need to do hot sitz baths followed by ice cold water, massages inside and out, some type of anti inflammatory. i have never been this bad before... just ordered some silver water, and a hand massager to use on my prostate area and perineum.

my cytology report came back negative for cancer cells which hopefully means no cancer in the bladder.....

Last edited by quincy1man; 02-12-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
(male)

submalst88 HB User

Sounds like you have been thru alot.

Nothing can be more frustrating than having to deal with multiple opinons.

Its sounds like your in the clear in regards to cancer- which would be good news! I hope clear up right away.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
(male)

quincy1man HB User

thanks, I found another site about prostatitis and the guy gives you a lot of instructions about taking hot baths, using massage techniques etc. I had a supply of cipro from my last flare up in 2009 and I just decided that no other antibiotic was working, so after a few days of taking the cipro, I am actually starting to feel better, less grouchy and less miserable. Its only an 8 day supply but I am just going to go easy on working out to protect my ligaments and drink water...

Closed Thread