It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
(male)

tpcolford HB User
Prostatitis and severe abdominal swelling

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed in emergency with prostatitis. What brought me to emergency was extreme urinary retention. I was catherized, given Cipro antibiotic and simply told to go home. The catheter works, but the hospital never did a urine culture on me, and I have no fever, so I do not know why it was considered an infection that CIPRO can cure. I have been off work for about two weeks, and still have a catheter. What is very disturbing is that after supper, I get extremely bloated, even though I am not retaining urine. It scares me, and I get extremely tired. No PSA test either. I wonder how long this is going to take and if it is ever going to end. Mu Urologist has been quite useless. I also had extreme lower back spasms, but given no anti-inflammatory medications. Anyone with suggestions would assist me greatly. How long will this last ? All the best, Paul.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

jeff186 HB User
Re: Prostatitis and severe abdominal swelling

Oh Paul, same thing. Exact same issue. I've been going through this for 2-3 weeks now.I feel a touch better (literally like 10% better, at best). It's miserable. It feels like I have to pee every second. When I went to the Urologist, I was scared to death and thought they were going to have to give me a catheter. It felt like I had to pee so bad. And when I'd pee, barely anything would come out. It was interesting to learn, when they did my ultra sound that my bladder was empty (despite feeling like I had to pee so bad).

I'd say the pressure, swelling and constant feeling that I need to pee are my worst symptoms.

How are you feeling?

What else do you feel like?

Last edited by Administrator; 01-26-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
(male)

tpcolford HB User

This problem is exceedingly boring. I have a catheter. I cannot work and have been off for two weeks and my boss is giving me trouble. I first put myself into an ambulance and went to emergency as I was so bloated I had difficulty breathing. That is why I was given this damn catheter. My bladder was full up to my umbilicus. I am on CIPRO for the next two weeks and I wonder what it is doing. No infection was confirmed....they just figured that II cried out in pain on digital exam, I must be infected.

My Urologist is nothing for the incredible back pain I have been experiencing. Sleep is a big problem, and as I live alone, and do not have a car, getting around to do the basics like groceries is extremely difficult. I felt like fainting on Saturday when I went to do my groceries. Fortunately the weather here is not as bad as it was. The big problem is that I still get very bloated after supper in the evenings and fatique sets in rapidly. I have heard these things take time, but in never being ill before, this is scary. I am 56 and they say that enlargement of the prostrate is a natural part of aging. I hope I do not have to live like this. Hang in there and stay in touch. Paul.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

jeff186 HB User

Hey Paul,
How you feeling? Any updates?

I am having the same abdominal pressure/bloating as well. I am thinking it's probably from the antibiotics.

I am doing the same. No improvements. I just want to scream, I can't take this anymore. I am almost 30, so my Urologist thinks it's bacterial. Same thing, I had a lot of pain upon DRE.

It's so hard to pee, my penis stings. It feels like I have to pee every 10 minutes, literally. It's just miserable. I have so much pressure down there.

I was on Cipro for 10-12 days, but had to stop due to the side effects. Now, I've been on Doxy for a few weeks and I am not getting better. It's been 3 weeks of antibiotics.

How freaking long does this last? Are you feeling any better?

Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
(male)

tpcolford HB User
Thumbs up Re: Prostatitis and severe abdominal swelling

Unfortunately, I am still much of the same and it has been over three weeks now for me, on CIPRO and catheterized. I hope the abdominal swelling is do to the antibiotic, because it is uncomfortable after my supper and causes me stress and concern it might be something else. I am concerned about my job, because I have taken the time off, thinking it is best. I cannot walk easily being catheterized either and I do not have a car.

From what i have read, these things take time. My Urologist already has me on CIPRO for another month. The only thing that has changed is that I do not have as much back pain, which was fairly serious in the beginning. I am told that with the CIPRO, yogurt might help, but it also says to avoid dairy products when ingesting the stuff.

I see my useless Urologist in two days and hopefully the catheter will be removed. I will update you about what he says about the swelling. The last time I asked, he said it was gas, but it is not.

Take care,

Paul

Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jeff186 HB User

Hey Paul,
Oh I know. This is absolute misery!

I am pretty sure the swelling is from the antibiotics. I am going through the same thing and I can tell that's what's causing it. Especially after eating. My stomach just feels so bloated and looks all distended.

Let me know how it goes after the visit.

How did the catheter come into play? We're you not able to pee at all? Did it hurt to get it put in? Did they say if your prostate was "enlarged" or just "inflamed"?

I am having so much difficulty peeing. I pee, then it feels like I have to pee even worse. Each time only a little comes out. When I was at the Urologist, it felt like I had to pee SO bad, but the ultra sound said my bladder was "empty".

I just have so much pain and pressure down there. Penis stings and feels so inflamed on the inside. Peeing takes forever and it's miserable.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
(male)

tpcolford HB User

You might ask about a catheter. Would not wish one on my best friend, but I could not urinate properly without it and my bladder was extremely distended. This was the way my prostrate was first indicated as being the problem. It is both enlarged and inflamed. Hurts while sitting.

Onwards,

Paul.

Closed Thread

Tags
prostatitis