It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
(male)

submalst88 HB User
Lightbulb Bactrim-side affects?

Hi,
Just diagnosed with Prostatitis.
I was prescribed cipro but was scared of the side affects.
So about to take Bactrim starting today.
Curious to know if anybody has taken it before and if so, did it work?
Anyone take it without having any side affects?

Any interactions with vitamins/suppliments (fish oil) (I cant seem to find anything online).

Anyone take it with Saw Pamello or will with it interfere?

Thanks..i hope everyone reading can learn from each other and heal.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

jeff186 HB User
Re: Bactrim-side affects?

Hey Sub,
What are your symptoms of Prostatitis? Have you ever gone through this before? What testing did you have done? Is it bacterial?

I am on my 4th week of dealing with this. I took Cipro for 6 days, made my arms/legs weak. So I switched to Bactrim. Took that for 6 days and it made my heart start to race. (I am so sensitive to meds). Now I am on day 11 of Doxy. Which seems more mild, but I am not getting much better.

I hear Bactrim is safer than Cipro though.

Let me know how your feeling, would love to compare our progress!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
(male)

submalst88 HB User

IM not sure if its bacterial actually...it wasnt mentioned to me if it was or was not (and I didnt even know to ask)
It actually came up via ct scan (that i had gotten done for something else), and then had a DRE, and then a rectal ultrasound
they said the my prostate was enlarged and i cant recall if they said infeccted or inflamed. Just in shock about the whole thing to be honest.
I didnt see the results on paper. Just what my dr had told me.
How much Bactrim are you on?
I have 2 day and im wondering if its even going to be effective.

Last edited by submalst88; 02-04-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

jeff186 HB User

If nothing else, the Bactrim has anti inflammatory properties and should help reduce the size.

I am actually starting to feel better today. This is my 3rd week on Doxy (Bactrim is supposed to be even more effective than Doxy).

When I was on Bactrim, I was taking twice daily. I am reallllly sensitive to meds and have bad anxiety. So it might have been my anxiety causing the side effects. From what I've heard it's pretty safe!

Do you have any urinary problems? (frequency, difficulty, etc?)

Last edited by Administrator; 02-05-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
(male)

submalst88 HB User

Hi,
re: urinary problems...i do go frequency, but I also drink about 2 liters of water a day just because I workout and i because I found that I was getting dehydrated very easily at work. Overall, its not too bad. I do think I may have some slight ED.

Some meds (even vitamins/suppliments) do drive me abit wonkers as well (moody) but if i have to take this for 30 days, just to heal, I will do it.

I have taken some Bactrim so far, and to be honest, it makes me feel energized for some reason (???). Thank g-d,no side effects so far, but its only been 2 days.

Other than that, im just stressed that I even have this at all. Trying to be postive and hopefull, but frustrated at the same time. Barely mention it to anyone which doesnt really help much either.

How are you doing with your treatments? You sound like your doing better.
Have you tried saw pamello?
I see it mentioned so much, so I figure it cant hurt. I spoke to my pharmasist about any interactions with Bactim, and he said that there none.

Last edited by submalst88; 02-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
(male)

submalst88 HB User

Just to update this thread in case anyone else is reading it.
I did have some side affects.
Some constipation for 2 days (which cleared after a having some fiber).
Sever fatigue for the first 4 days, which eventually just turned in to fatigue.
Weakness in muscles when in use and some stiffness in joints.

To combat this i drink some 100 percent pure pomegranate juice (mostly for the iron),and take fish oil, and calcium/magnesium. I also added Glusomine for the joint pain. I take these about 1 a day about 4.5 hours after I have already taken my morning pill.

Last edited by submalst88; 02-12-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
(male)

submalst88 HB User

I think I will add depression to the list as well. Hard to tell if its because of the bactrim or because of the fact that im worried about my prostate + the bactrim (side affects).

12 days left.
I cant wait to get off this stuff already.
I really really hope Im in the clear after this bout, because I really cant do another round with bactrim.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
(male)

submalst88 HB User

Yesterday was my last pill.
My last week was the hardest. Just couldnt wait for the week to past.
Had a very hard time sleeping during the nighttime (common side affect) during the last week.

I have a rectal ultrasound scheduled in 5 days to allow for the affects of the medication to wear off and to see if the medication actually healed me or not.
I have read that some folks are seeing 3 days after the last pill taken that all their symptoms return.By distancing my exam from the date of the last pill, it should give my dr a better idea of where I stand.
im so hoping im done will all this.

Closed Thread