It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
(male)

anothersmith HB User
Need Help! 27 Year Old

27 year old white male, married, no std's, wife and I are our only sexual partners and always have been

8 months ago I was experiencing irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis around the urethra and having a slight burning during urination. The irritation normally effected me when my penis would rub against underwear. Went to walk in clinic did urinalysis, no std's, no UTI but dr put me on steroid topical cream for 2 weeks. Problem solved after two weeks.

3 months ago started having perennial pressure. Went to normal dr, had a DRE done and urinalysis. Prostate was normal shape and size and urinalysis came back clean. Put me on 2 weeks of sulfameth/trimethoprim. Felt back to normal by the end of antibiotic treatment.

2 months ago started having the irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis and again noticed this the most when it rubs against my underwear. Dr said he wanted to treat me for 30 days of ab's again. First night of me starting back on the Sulfameth a had severe cold chills and fever. Went in next morning to dr and had blood work and urinalysis. Blood work came back with high white blood cell account which was told due to me running a fever. Switched me to Cipro for 30 days.

1-1/2 months ago saw a urologist. He did a DRE and urinalysis. Prostate fine, no bacteria in urinalysis. Did prostate massage but couldnt excrete any fluid and had me do a urinalysis following prostate massage. No bacteria found. Had kidney and bladder sonogram, nothing found. Prescribed another 30 days of Cipro.

To this day im still experiencing irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis. Some days are worse than others. Is this resulting from me being diagnosed with prostatitis? The next step the urologist said is to have a cystoscopy done. I'm am terrified of having this done, I cannot express in words how worried I am of this. He did say that I could be put under anesthesia if thats what I would prefer which is most likely the route I would go. I have experienced discomfort during ejaculation but its not all the time.

The thing that has me wondering is my wife has been having discomfort in her vaginal area for the past couple months. She has been checked for UTI's and Yeast Infection. Her dr diagnosed her with a vaginal infection and put her on 2 months of boric acid suppositories. The urologist says our cases our unrelated. How can that be?? I just dont understand how we can both be experiencing problems yet they are unrelated.

This has ruined my life for the time being. I have basically stopped doing anything that we enjoy doing because im in discomfort most of the time. Anything me being active makes the irritation worse since my penis rubs on my underwear. Im constantly analyzing any food or drink I consume wondering if thats what is causing my problems. I had stopped drinking coffee, pop and alcohol completely for 2 months with no relief and even when I did consume those items I never consumed in excess.

I also notice my penis acts different in its flaccid state. Like it doesnt just hang normally when I set or bend over. Its like it sucks in and gives me a weird tingling feeling

Also both doctors keep asking about my peeing habits and how often I get up at night to pee. I rarely if at all get up at night to pee. I'd say I pee more often than most guys my age but I do drink lots of water each day. Also the only times I have issues starting to pee is at public restrooms at urinals. I'm guessing this is more of a shy bladder than my problem.

Please help! I'm completely miserable. A 27 year old man shouldnt be having these problems!

Last edited by anothersmith; 06-01-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
(male)

anothersmith HB User
Re: Need Help! 27 Year Old

This forum is a joke! Do any doctors or medical professionals even post on here? I posted this almost 2 months ago and havent received ONE reply. It's sad.. I look through this forum reading everyones stories and feel so bad for everyone experiencing this and it seems like no one wants to help. Guess its just a place to vent...

Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
(male)

lee79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersmith View Post
27 year old white male, married, no std's, wife and I are our only sexual partners and always have been

8 months ago I was experiencing irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis around the urethra and having a slight burning during urination. The irritation normally effected me when my penis would rub against underwear. Went to walk in clinic did urinalysis, no std's, no UTI but dr put me on steroid topical cream for 2 weeks. Problem solved after two weeks.

3 months ago started having perennial pressure. Went to normal dr, had a DRE done and urinalysis. Prostate was normal shape and size and urinalysis came back clean. Put me on 2 weeks of sulfameth/trimethoprim. Felt back to normal by the end of antibiotic treatment.

2 months ago started having the irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis and again noticed this the most when it rubs against my underwear. Dr said he wanted to treat me for 30 days of ab's again. First night of me starting back on the Sulfameth a had severe cold chills and fever. Went in next morning to dr and had blood work and urinalysis. Blood work came back with high white blood cell account which was told due to me running a fever. Switched me to Cipro for 30 days.

1-1/2 months ago saw a urologist. He did a DRE and urinalysis. Prostate fine, no bacteria in urinalysis. Did prostate massage but couldnt excrete any fluid and had me do a urinalysis following prostate massage. No bacteria found. Had kidney and bladder sonogram, nothing found. Prescribed another 30 days of Cipro.

To this day im still experiencing irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis. Some days are worse than others. Is this resulting from me being diagnosed with prostatitis? The next step the urologist said is to have a cystoscopy done. I'm am terrified of having this done, I cannot express in words how worried I am of this. He did say that I could be put under anesthesia if thats what I would prefer which is most likely the route I would go. I have experienced discomfort during ejaculation but its not all the time.

The thing that has me wondering is my wife has been having discomfort in her vaginal area for the past couple months. She has been checked for UTI's and Yeast Infection. Her dr diagnosed her with a vaginal infection and put her on 2 months of boric acid suppositories. The urologist says our cases our unrelated. How can that be?? I just dont understand how we can both be experiencing problems yet they are unrelated.

This has ruined my life for the time being. I have basically stopped doing anything that we enjoy doing because im in discomfort most of the time. Anything me being active makes the irritation worse since my penis rubs on my underwear. Im constantly analyzing any food or drink I consume wondering if thats what is causing my problems. I had stopped drinking coffee, pop and alcohol completely for 2 months with no relief and even when I did consume those items I never consumed in excess.

I also notice my penis acts different in its flaccid state. Like it doesnt just hang normally when I set or bend over. Its like it sucks in and gives me a weird tingling feeling

Also both doctors keep asking about my peeing habits and how often I get up at night to pee. I rarely if at all get up at night to pee. I'd say I pee more often than most guys my age but I do drink lots of water each day. Also the only times I have issues starting to pee is at public restrooms at urinals. I'm guessing this is more of a shy bladder than my problem.

Please help! I'm completely miserable. A 27 year old man shouldnt be having these problems!
Lets take this piece by piece

((8 months ago I was experiencing irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis around the urethra and having a slight burning during urination. The irritation normally effected me when my penis would rub against underwear. Went to walk in clinic did urinalysis, no std's, no UTI but dr put me on steroid topical cream for 2 weeks. Problem solved after two weeks.))

I find this interesting that the steroid topical cream worked, steroids are used for inflammation

[[[[[[3 months ago started having perennial pressure. Went to normal dr, had a DRE done and urinalysis. Prostate was normal shape and size and urinalysis came back clean. Put me on 2 weeks of sulfameth/trimethoprim. Felt back to normal by the end of antibiotic treatment.]]]]]]]]]]]]

By the way, urinalysis is generally normal in prostatitis patients.

[[[[[[2 months ago started having the irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis and again noticed this the most when it rubs against my underwear. Dr said he wanted to treat me for 30 days of ab's again. First night of me starting back on the Sulfameth a had severe cold chills and fever. Went in next morning to dr and had blood work and urinalysis. Blood work came back with high white blood cell account which was told due to me running a fever. Switched me to Cipro for 30 days.]]]]]]]]

First thing that ran on my mind is get some different underwear and see if that helps. It is interesting that you got fever and chills why on the antibiotic, almost seems like the biotics triggered something inside of your body. high white blood count means your body was fighting something.

[[[[[[1-1/2 months ago saw a urologist. He did a DRE and urinalysis. Prostate fine, no bacteria in urinalysis. Did prostate massage but couldnt excrete any fluid and had me do a urinalysis following prostate massage. No bacteria found. Had kidney and bladder sonogram, nothing found. Prescribed another 30 days of Cipro. ]]]]]]]

This is the point where I get very angry, not at you, but at the urologist. It angers me that most urologists can not do a proper prostate massage, and it is not your fault he couldn't get fluid, it was his own fault for not knowing how to perfrom a proper prostate massage. Most doctors poke the finger at the prostate, which ends up being more like a man using his fingers on a womans vagina than an actual prostate massage. The correct way to have one done is to put the finger against the gland push in firmly and massage, the finger shouldn't come off of the surface of the prostate at all. when done correctly your body will shake from the force of the message and the massage will take no longer than 60 seconds. I had a urologist who did prostate massages on me and first one lasted 60 seconds, the third one maybe 30 seconds. Had a different urologist try one and all he did was finger me inside my butt for 5 minutes to the point I was crying, he had no clue what he was even doing and this guy had been a urologist for 40 years, that is just sad and pathetic. if a prostate massage is done correctly it can bring temporary relief, if done wrong it can make your symptoms worse temporarily

[[[[To this day im still experiencing irritation/sensitivity on the tip of my penis. Some days are worse than others. Is this resulting from me being diagnosed with prostatitis? The next step the urologist said is to have a cystoscopy done. I'm am terrified of having this done, I cannot express in words how worried I am of this. He did say that I could be put under anesthesia if thats what I would prefer which is most likely the route I would go. I have experienced discomfort during ejaculation but its not all the time.]]]]
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have one done. you will urinate blood for a few days and it will burn for a few days to urinate, but once the irritation is gone you will be back to normal, I know having rod shoved in your pee hole sounds frightning but it is a good test for checking the bladder for things like cancer, bladder stones ,cysts. looking at your current symptoms that test actually makes sense to have for you.

[[[[The thing that has me wondering is my wife has been having discomfort in her vaginal area for the past couple months. She has been checked for UTI's and Yeast Infection. Her dr diagnosed her with a vaginal infection and put her on 2 months of boric acid suppositories. The urologist says our cases our unrelated. How can that be?? I just dont understand how we can both be experiencing problems yet they are unrelated. ]]]]

Yes they very well could be related, I have read about a doctor in Arizona who runs a prostatitis clinic commonly has mens wives checked out for infections. because some times men will end up with prostatitis and whats actually happening is they are passing the infection back and forth durring sex and the only way to cure it is to treat both partners. The fact that she has a vaginal infection may have been what has been causing your symptoms all along, only a complete fool would ignore this and say they have no relation. By the way can you tell us what kind of infection was it exactly that your wife had"name please" ??

[[[This has ruined my life for the time being. I have basically stopped doing anything that we enjoy doing because im in discomfort most of the time. Anything me being active makes the irritation worse since my penis rubs on my underwear. Im constantly analyzing any food or drink I consume wondering if thats what is causing my problems. I had stopped drinking coffee, pop and alcohol completely for 2 months with no relief and even when I did consume those items I never consumed in excess
I also notice my penis acts different in its flaccid state. Like it doesnt just hang normally when I set or bend over. Its like it sucks in and gives me a weird tingling feeling}}}

you could try a semen culture, to see if bacteria are in their. another test which I know you wouldn't like would be a urethral swab. a qtip is stuck in the hole of the penis and rotating for so many seconds to check for urethral infection such as urethritis. Urethritis is swelling and irritation (inflammation) of the urethra. The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the body.
[[[Also both doctors keep asking about my peeing habits and how often I get up at night to pee. I rarely if at all get up at night to pee. I'd say I pee more often than most guys my age but I do drink lots of water each day. Also the only times I have issues starting to pee is at public restrooms at urinals. I'm guessing this is more of a shy bladder than my problem. ]]]

When the prostate is swollen it will push on the urethra the tube that carries urine from the body and it will become hard to pee. also the bladder can become inflammed which can cause a constnat urination. but usually the prostate would have to be swollen to cause constant urination symptoms.

The Following User Says Thank You to lee79 For This Useful Post:
anothersmith (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
(male)

anothersmith HB User

Lee79 - Thank you for your reply to my thread. I will try to respond to your answers.

I find this interesting that the steroid topical cream worked, steroids are used for inflammation

I tried using it again when I was on antibiotics several months ago and it didnt seem to do much. I dont know if with it working the first time was just a fluke

By the way, urinalysis is generally normal in prostatitis patients

Yes, I will have to agree. I've had one every time ive went. I was just trying to state all the facts of my story

First thing that ran on my mind is get some different underwear and see if that helps. It is interesting that you got fever and chills why on the antibiotic, almost seems like the biotics triggered something inside of your body. high white blood count means your body was fighting something

I actually did switch underwear but I dont believe it has been any effect to the sensitivity/discomfort I experience on the tip of my penis. I wear just your standard hanes boxer briefs nothing out of the norm. I've worn box briefs for the past 10 years with no ill effect. I would have to agree with you on my bodies reaction to the AB's as it fighting something

This is the point where I get very angry, not at you, but at the urologist. It angers me that most urologists can not do a proper prostate massage, and it is not your fault he couldn't get fluid, it was his own fault for not knowing how to perfrom a proper prostate massage. Most doctors poke the finger at the prostate, which ends up being more like a man using his fingers on a womans vagina than an actual prostate massage. The correct way to have one done is to put the finger against the gland push in firmly and massage, the finger shouldn't come off of the surface of the prostate at all. when done correctly your body will shake from the force of the message and the massage will take no longer than 60 seconds. I had a urologist who did prostate massages on me and first one lasted 60 seconds, the third one maybe 30 seconds. Had a different urologist try one and all he did was finger me inside my butt for 5 minutes to the point I was crying, he had no clue what he was even doing and this guy had been a urologist for 40 years, that is just sad and pathetic. if a prostate massage is done correctly it can bring temporary relief, if done wrong it can make your symptoms worse temporarily

Yes, this urologist has been practicing for many many years here and is well known but what you say about doing a proper prostate massage makes me wonder how great of dr he is when it comes to this. I just remember it being very painful and it just made all my symptoms worse after he was done. Bad thing is there arent hardly any urologist in my town. I just dont know where else to go. With how worse my symptoms have gotten with both times ive received a prostate massage it makes me not want to go back to any dr because of this. Both times it was very painful and I never had any prostate fluid come out

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have one done. you will urinate blood for a few days and it will burn for a few days to urinate, but once the irritation is gone you will be back to normal, I know having rod shoved in your pee hole sounds frightning but it is a good test for checking the bladder for things like cancer, bladder stones ,cysts. looking at your current symptoms that test actually makes sense to have for you.

I guess I just havent had enough courage to have this done yet. Ive personally talked to 5 people that have had it done and only 1 out of the 5 said it wasnt too bad just not comfortable. The others basically describe it as the worst thing they have ever been through. They have all told me they wouldnt go through this without being under anesthetic again and that just worries me. What also worries me is if these dr's are so rough just doing a prostate massage how careful are they actually going to be sticking a metal rod into my penis up to my bladder. I've read horror stories of people having complications because someone performing a cystoscopy wasnt careful enough

Yes they very well could be related, I have read about a doctor in Arizona who runs a prostatitis clinic commonly has mens wives checked out for infections. because some times men will end up with prostatitis and whats actually happening is they are passing the infection back and forth durring sex and the only way to cure it is to treat both partners. The fact that she has a vaginal infection may have been what has been causing your symptoms all along, only a complete fool would ignore this and say they have no relation. By the way can you tell us what kind of infection was it exactly that your wife had"name please" ??

I've read about that too and it makes sense though when I mentioned it too my urologist he said no way. He said that the ph in our urine would carry out anything of infection that we would be passing back and forth during sex. Her dr never gave us a name of the infection because all the test they ran they could never pen point anything. They basically just gave her boric acid suppositories going off her symptoms. She has also had a abnormal pap smear twice over the past year. They tested her for HPV or whatever its called and it was negative

you could try a semen culture, to see if bacteria are in their. another test which I know you wouldn't like would be a urethral swab. a qtip is stuck in the hole of the penis and rotating for so many seconds to check for urethral infection such as urethritis. Urethritis is swelling and irritation (inflammation) of the urethra. The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the body.

I mentioned the semen culture to my urologist but he seemed to indicate that wouldnt show anything at this time since I was on antibiotics. Yea, the swab doesnt sound fun at all. Could you get the same results from a urinalysis since any infection would be passed into your urine?

When the prostate is swollen it will push on the urethra the tube that carries urine from the body and it will become hard to pee. also the bladder can become inflammed which can cause a constnat urination. but usually the prostate would have to be swollen to cause constant urination symptoms.

Yea and I guess luckily enough I wouldnt say I have much if any urination problems. At least not at this time.

It seems like my symptoms have gotten slightly better since being off the antibiotics for a couple months. I am still dealing with the sensitivity and discomfort on the tip of my penis. Sometimes worse than others but that has gotten a little better Id have to say. I am hopeful this is a sign of my body healing itself. I have read somewhere that quite a few men in their 20's-30's experience prostatitis and it usually goes away on its own. I hope this is the case.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
(male)

my2cents2 HB User

I just want to reply to some of the things you brought up. First of all, I agree that a cystoscopy would be in order. However, it is not a "rod", but rather a flexible fiberoptic scope. It is a little uncomfortable but nothing that would require anesthesia. Unless you have some serious uretheral damage (which I doubt) there is no reason at all to expect bleeding after the exam. I have had a number of them and never had any problem other than a slight burning the first time I urinated after the exam. Frankly that was probably due to the lidocaine they inject prior to the insertion of the scope. If you have a real "fear" of the exam, then just ask for unconscious sedation. It's MUCH safer than general anesthesia and works just as well.

Secondly, the fact that it is the tip of your penis that is irritated might suggest the need for a swab. That is an almost nothing procedure and worth doing just because it is so simple. However, the fact that you have some discomfort during ejaculation is a sign of prosatatitis.

Someone suggested a semen culture. I had it done when I was being tested and other than masturbating into a jar in a doctor's office (it needs to be a "fresh" sample), it is not difficult. However, semen contains a high number of white blood cells and so it is very difficult to grow a culture. I seriously doubt that would be worth the stress of producing a fresh sample.

Finally, it's possible that you have a form of "chronic prostatitis". Many people (including myself) suffer from that. Antibiotics do not work on it and, as far as I know, no one has a cure for it or even knows how it occurs. It does come and go, as it were, and that may explain some of the temporary relief you have experienced from miscellaneous treatments. That is, it could have been just coincidental. If that is the case, then you have to learn to deal with the symptoms. I'd be glad to tell how I do it, if it comes to that.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
(male)

anothersmith HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2cents2 View Post
I just want to reply to some of the things you brought up. First of all, I agree that a cystoscopy would be in order. However, it is not a "rod", but rather a flexible fiberoptic scope. It is a little uncomfortable but nothing that would require anesthesia. Unless you have some serious uretheral damage (which I doubt) there is no reason at all to expect bleeding after the exam. I have had a number of them and never had any problem other than a slight burning the first time I urinated after the exam. Frankly that was probably due to the lidocaine they inject prior to the insertion of the scope. If you have a real "fear" of the exam, then just ask for unconscious sedation. It's MUCH safer than general anesthesia and works just as well.

Secondly, the fact that it is the tip of your penis that is irritated might suggest the need for a swab. That is an almost nothing procedure and worth doing just because it is so simple. However, the fact that you have some discomfort during ejaculation is a sign of prosatatitis.

Someone suggested a semen culture. I had it done when I was being tested and other than masturbating into a jar in a doctor's office (it needs to be a "fresh" sample), it is not difficult. However, semen contains a high number of white blood cells and so it is very difficult to grow a culture. I seriously doubt that would be worth the stress of producing a fresh sample.

Finally, it's possible that you have a form of "chronic prostatitis". Many people (including myself) suffer from that. Antibiotics do not work on it and, as far as I know, no one has a cure for it or even knows how it occurs. It does come and go, as it were, and that may explain some of the temporary relief you have experienced from miscellaneous treatments. That is, it could have been just coincidental. If that is the case, then you have to learn to deal with the symptoms. I'd be glad to tell how I do it, if it comes to that.
Thank you for your reply

On the whole cystoscopy deal, i'd probably have some sort of anesthetic done weather it be general or unconscious sedation. I've talked to several people that have had cystoscopy's done and from what 90% have said they would of had anesthetic done if they had to go through it again. I think also its a mind over matter deal. Just having to mentally go through it would be the worst part.
How long have you you dealt with chronic prostatitis? How do you deal with your symptoms?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
(male)

my2cents2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersmith View Post
Thank you for your reply

On the whole cystoscopy deal, i'd probably have some sort of anesthetic done weather it be general or unconscious sedation. I've talked to several people that have had cystoscopy's done and from what 90% have said they would of had anesthetic done if they had to go through it again. I think also its a mind over matter deal. Just having to mentally go through it would be the worst part.
How long have you you dealt with chronic prostatitis? How do you deal with your symptoms?
I've had chronic prostatitis for 15 years. I find that prostate massage helps as well as regular ejaculation. Prostate massage is difficult and I've never found that the massagers they sell are all that good (and they are WAY over priced). But when I have severe symptoms (about every 2 months or so) I find that heat really helps mitigate the symptoms. I've tried sitz baths and a "bed buddy", heated in a microwave and then applied to the perineum (between the testicles and the anus). However, what works best is a very warm enema, since it delivers the heat adjacent to the prostate. Hope this helps

Closed Thread