It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
(male)

DON744 HB User
Prostatitis and PSA HELP PLEASE!!

Thanks in advance for reading this post! Please reply if you can be of help!
I am 54 years old with PSA readings being between 1.3 and 2.7 over the last 10 years. Last August it was 2.0
Got up @2:00AM April 12th and could barely pee. Started running a fever, chills, back ache etc. Never had anyting come on this fast or anything that acted like this. Dr. called in 3 weeks of Bactrim assuming proctatitis. Symptoms got better in 3-4 days. Went in for PSA after 3 weeks of medication and PSA was 20.5. Remember it was 2.0 8 months ago!Was not happy that the DR. wanted another PSA in just 1 more week so I changed Dr's. This second one put me on 6 weeks of Cipro. I have been off the Cipro now for 1 month and had another PSA which was 8.8. Good news is that the PSA is falling! Questions I have are as follows:
I have been referred to a Urologist because the second Dr. said I may have PC and he suggested the possibility of a biopsy. If the PSA has fallen over the last 3 months shouldn't I give it more time to see if it continues downward? Is it possible I still have some infection even though things are much improved? How long after an attack of accute proctatitis will it take for PSA levels to return to normal? What are the chances that this is cancer?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

doodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB Userdoodlegrl08 HB User
Re: Prostatitis and PSA HELP PLEASE!!

Sometimes it takes 2 months of Cipro to bring down the PSA depending on how bad the Prostatitis was. It sounds like yours must have been really bad it your PSA went to 20! So they are just being causious by doing a biopsy. The chances that it is cancer is minimal since your numbers came straight back down with Cipro treatment. Good thing you decided to switch doctors because Prostatitis is never treated with Bactrim. Seems like that doctor was actually treating you for a UTI (urinary tract infection) than Prostatitis. I would get the second opinion from the Urologist since that is what they specialize in, but a biopsy is usually performed if they cannot get your PSA to come down with Cipro, but your is. You might need another month of treatment, then you should be good to go! Hope everything goes well for you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Has anyone actually examined your prostate gland? That is essential because if there is a nodule present, the urologist will want a biopsy, if no nodules, he may wait one more month and recheck PSA. They do prostatic ultrasounds also, which can be helpful and is non-invasive.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
(male)

DON744 HB User

Thanks so much for your response guys! Would I be correct in thinking since the PSA has dropped from 20.5 down to 8.8 over 3 months that this is probably not cancer? My PSA less than a year ago was 2.0.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
(female)

Correct, it usually just doesn't pop up out of the blue like that. Usually if it is cancer your PSA starts to go up gradually as the cancer produces. If men do not get their PSA checked and it's a 20 then that's a different story.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
(female)

A new technique that doctors are starting to use to look for cancer usually before they do a biopsy is a MRI Pelvis with and without contrast. This also looks for cancer and it is not so invasive.

Reply Reply