It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
(male)

hcvsd HB User
Post advice on prostatitis, scared of no sex life

I'm a 32 years old been diagnosed with prostatitis, Im looking for a board or people that have the same codition, to answer some of my questions! E.G. is it still ok to have (ejaculate) sex ,I was on other antibiotics for 25days now im taking cipro and doesn't seem to be working Dr. says this is hard to treat, is their any herbs that might help?? , is there anything I shoulde'nt eat or drink? etc. etc. Dr seems frustated trying to treat my codition I have been on cipro for 2 weeks. ( no luck so far. my insurance has been cancelled due to lost of job.
symptoms:full bladder feeling, involuntarily dribbling, ucomfortable feeling prior to ejaculation,discomfort in pelvic area, dicomfort in tip of penis,( not rlated to urination)
any support sites that I can get more peoples opionon will be helpful, or any info!

Thanks

[This message has been edited by hcvsd (edited 09-28-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 05:07 PM   #2
(male)

mfree1 HB User
hcvsd,

Prostatitis is usually self-limiting. Nobody knows what causes it. In most cases it's viral, but it's treated with antibiotics just in case there is some bacteria in there. Unfortunately the antibiotics don't relieve the symptoms.

It usually takes a few weeks to recover (sorry). So give it time and it should get better.

No need to restrict your diet or activities. Some patients feel better with sitz baths--it's a little "hat" that you put on the toilet and hook it up with some warm water. They sell them at just about any pharmacy. It really does work.

The nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can be useful too. Try whatever is cheap and over-the-counter.

Follow-up with your healthcare provider if it doesn't start to ease up in a week or two.

Take care,

Mats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 08:29 PM   #3

cohjef HB User
I came back in August from a business trip with prostatits and similar symptoms. The exam was painful.The doctor said the prostatitis was caused by an insufficient number of ejaculations. He sent me home with some Viagara, which changed our sex lives dramatically.

I started out masturbating a time or two and then switched to active sex with my wife.

Your doctor also needs to check your testosterone levels if you are having trouble with erections. Some doctors are idiots when it comes to asking questions and checking this out on a guy.

Best advice is to do whatever it takes to get frequent ejaculations. The reason is that the prostatic fluid stays in the prostate and eventually infects itself. I try to have sex at least every other day. And the prostatis is gone.

Hope this helps.

Please let me know if you are having other symptoms such as high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, fatigue, or depression. These are signs of another problem, and the prostatitis would only be the "tip of the iceberg." I am not a physician, but there are plenty of guys on another bulletin board who can give you some clues as to what to do.

Old 09-29-2003, 02:09 AM   #4

Ben There HB User
Question

OK "cohjef"... You definitely got my attention...

I returned from a "convention" of almost 2 weeks with zero privacy and hence zero "ejaculations"...

My next orgasm was primarilly blood. That was 7 years ago, and I've been fighting the recurring prostatitis ever since.

YOU mentioned High Blood Pressure and elevated Cholesterol (etc...) as being indicative of something else... Might I ask what that "something else" might be ???

Old 09-29-2003, 01:13 PM   #5

cohjef HB User
The problem is likely hypogonadism, which manifests itself by fatigue, depression, weight gain, elevated cholesterol,high blood pressure, and can eventually lead to osteoporosis in men, and other hormonal problems. If you are not ejaculating regularly, then you also may be subject to recurring Prostatis. My doctor advised at least once a week.

Are you having any problems with ability to get and maintain an erection? If you are over 50, I would clearly get the testosterone levels drawn. In my case total was 179/280 is LOW normal;free 146/350 normal. Prolactin ok. You should also get the estrogen level drawn because the body somehow converts the testosterone into an estrogen type(I don't understand the process.) Some guys in their thirties also have the problem, and do not realize there is a problem.

As a result of these levels, our sex life was nothing for over ten years because I could not get an erection. As a result, the prostatic fluid backed up and infected itself.

Most doctors will treat the symptoms without going further, and we have to take the initiative. I imagine that he put you on repeated courses of antibiotics, only to have the prostatitis recur, which did not address the problem. Some men were placed on anti-depressants, when that was not the problem.

Hope this information helps; let me know what other questions I can answer.

GK

Old 09-30-2003, 10:41 AM   #6

Ben There HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks "GK",

I really appreciate your sharing of all that information.

I haven't experienced any problems with erectile function... Do you know if that alone would rule-out the possibility of "hypogonadism" ???

~ MH (aka "Ben There")

Old 09-30-2003, 02:46 PM   #7

cohjef HB User
I can't answer that for sure. My understanding is that "hypo" manifests itself in many forms. We have a nephew who has low energy,Graves disease(eye problem),and possible depression. He is 50. Went to the doctor and his testosterone levels are low. My suggestion is that you ask the doctor to check your levels.

Sometimes doctors will tell you that you are normal because the number is in the so-called normal range. My understanding is that you need to be in the 500s or above for total testosterone.

Are you able to ejaculate? How frequently does this occur?

My urologist put me on doxycycline for a month or so, and my family practice doctor also concurred with the treatment and recommendation for frequent sex and ejaculation. However, when I could not achieve an erection, we started the Viagara and the gel patches. Things are improving, but not exactly where I want them to be. I see the urologist next week and I plan to talk with him extensively about sex and preventing prostatitis. Like you or someone said, it's not fun!!

Old 09-30-2003, 08:08 PM   #8

TK421 HB User
Lightbulb

hcvsd - I share some of the pain. I'm 25 now and developed prostatitus in High School, little did I know at the time. This year I developed a feeling of pressure in my right testicle and pressure around the pelvic area. I was really freaked when tests kept coming up negative and no medicines were helping, finally a doctor told me about prostatitus. The doctor put me on Tequin, but not enough, so it didn't go away.

I saw a different doctor and I started cipro and was on it about 3 weeks. I sware it was making me sick. That doctor told me it wasn't possable. I then saw a urologist and was put on something else. I broke out in hives and rashes all over my body. I was so swollen I couldn't close my hands or walk! So I was then put on Levaquin and it releived the pain a bit and I wasn't urinating so frequently. So that and Tequin helped but you need a least two full weeks worth of medicine. Exercise and massaging the area seems to help too.

The urologist said ejaculating did indeed help, so not to worry about that, and that having sex was ok. It didn't seem to matter much to me. Ejaculating didnt hurth, but did't help either. The pain isn't fully gone but it is better than it was. Sitting in a warm bath so the testicles relax is supposed to be good.

Hope something helps you - let us know!

Old 10-02-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
(male)

hcvsd HB User
Thank You all for your replys sometimes it is uncomfortable to ejaculate when it is acting up, but the advise is well taken. Have any of you heard of any herbs that might help? When it was realy severe i had to urinate and the urine was through the uretha but was like something was blocking it from coming out of the tip of penis,( I could see that the urine was through the penis but was like the tip was closed) it may have been similar to like passing a stone,(scary!) have any of you heard of that symtom?

Old 10-02-2003, 06:52 PM   #10

cohjef HB User
hcvsd,

Sorry to hear that you have lost your job and that your insurance was cancelled. I am a CPA, and believe me, in a university community there are a lot of people out of work.

My urologist put me on doxycycline;it cost me no more than $15 for a 30 day supply. The cipro that he also suggested was over $300. It was not hard to make a decision. If you are having trouble making ends meet, there are free medical clinics that will dispense meds at no charge. I also am a former social worker, and I try to get people to the free clinics, or have them contact the drug companies, who will often send you the medication for little or no charge.

I don't know of any herbs, but I would stay away from things that are not tested, especially with urinary problems. Some guys I know tried herbs and got worse.

The doxycycline kicked in after five to seven days. That's when I started to ejaculate; it hurt at first but the more you do it, the pain goes away.At first the ejaculate was the consistency of jelly with a tinge of yellow, and there was a problem with urine at the end of the penis just as you described.) You would likely need to ejaculate at least once a day for a few days, then you could reduce it to every other day. Take the medicine during the entire time you are trying to ejaculate the infection out.

Sounds like you have a more severe case. I quit the meds after about 3 weeks, but the doctor also gave me two refills. As you know antibiotics are usually given for 10-14 days. So a month or more of a doctor's prescription tells me that this is a problem, like your doctor said, takes a while to get over.

It also helped me to self-massage my prostrate and to take a warm BATH, not shower, because that gets the blood flowing to that area.

Hope that helps. Please keep in touch with all of us so that we can help you and be sure to tell us how you are coming along.

GK

[This message has been edited by cohjef (edited 10-02-2003).]

Old 10-03-2003, 05:16 PM   #11
(male)

hcvsd HB User
Hey, cohjef, and TK421. You both mention to massage the prostate area is this when you insert a finger in to the rectum and massage the area of the prostate for a minute or how long/ Is this right?

Thank You I'm sorry you have this problem to, but im'm also glad I'm not alone.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:46 PM   #12

cohjef HB User
Yes, that is right. The difficulty is getting yourself in the right position. I usually try to bend over a bathtub because my arms are short. If you are in the tub, lay as flat as you can and then stick your feet straight up in the air. These positions work for me. Others may want to suggest positions that work!!

When you went to your doctor, did he massage your prostate? That is standard procedure for prostatitis. If not, you should request that be done. It will hurt for a few minutes. My urologist massaged it to the point of ejaculation, but that also got some fluid out so that the antibiotics could start working.

GK

Old 10-04-2003, 09:29 AM   #13

Ben There HB User
Thumbs up

Sorry about being so long getting back to you, cohjef...

I can totally relate to the "yellow-jelly" description you gave. Yes, I can still ejaculate, but that "stuff" rears its ugly head on a too-regular basis. Unfortunately - my wife is of ZERO assistance or support in this. In fact, in addition to NOT acceeding to consentual "therapeutic" intercourse - she even stands in the way of my own masturbation. Yeah - she probably is a major control freak.

It definitely "sucks" trying to sneak time and privacy to deal with one's "needs"... This is considerably worse than being an adolescent, in some respects.

Old 10-07-2003, 10:49 PM   #14

cohjef HB User
I have been thinking about your last comment.

It seems as if you understand that you need to take the med but a part of getting better is ejaculation.

I also do not understand women. I know it is difficult, but I believe we, as men, need to take control of our own health situations. When I mentioned this to my wife, I don't think she fully understood how the man's anatomy worked/did not work. So communication is really key.

If your wife does not want to work with you, you may find yourself sneaking off somewhere. I know of one guy who was allowed to masturbate at his doctor's office.

Since you are 32, is your wife afraid of pregnancy or "catching something." Wondered if she would go to the doctor with you so that he can explain what needs to happen.

Just a thought.

Let us know how you progress.

GK

Closed Thread