It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Prostatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
(male)

Vagabond48 HB User
Question TURP Recovery

Just had TURP operation 9 days ago (Mar 26, 2013) at UBC in vancouver and am quite alarmed about what seems to be a slow recovery. Wasn't offered any detail as to what I should expect, other than no lifting in excess of 10 lbs for 4 weeks. I am now somewhat concerned that my urinal bleeding continues, even though I have been very careful to follow post-op precautions. In fact Iíve been in bed for the five days in an attempt to take any pressure off my pelvic area. Iíve been drinking water consistently in excess of two litres a day and have been eating stewed prunes to ensure my bowel movements have all been soft and without any strain.

Four days ago my urine seemed to be clearing up nicely and was essentially clear all day. Same next day, but on both those days, just before going to sleep at around 10:00pm, I have had blood flow directly out of my urethra, not really mixed in with the urine. It was a definite flow of more blood than urine and was visible in the toilet. Donít get me wrong, it was not a large flow, but clearly visible as a separate red (not pink) stream. I've had blood at various times throughout the day since which is certainly not associated with any activity

This morning the same situation occurred, so thatís the reason for my email. Should I be concerned or is this quite normal? I should add that I am in excellent health otherwise, donít smoke or drink alcohol, am not overweight, and am very active normally.

Also I seem to be urinating a lot more frequently than before the op. The end of a urination seems to induce a blood flow, but I'm not forcing at all. Is this normal for this time after the op or should I be worried because we are moving house in 4 more weeks and I need to be able to lift boxes.

Thanks for any guidance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: TURP Recovery

Hi, bleeding after TURP usually lasts 1 to 2 weeks but can go on for a month after the TURP procedure. Also frequency and urgency may occur for some time but will gradually get better at most 4 to 6 weeks. Don't forget.....Take prostate formula vitamins and eat lots of tomatoes to ensure future prostate health.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
(male)

Vagabond48 HB User

Thanks LenVegas. My doctor called me back yesterday after writing my post to say pretty much what you just confirmed. He stressed that it's not an exact science because it differs with every individual. He did say that bleeding will increase initially with the level of activity, so minimize any stressful activity which I have been doing. I've had evidence of that already. The minute I try to do anything slightly above passive, I get more blood.

Supposedly the tomatoes should be cooked more so than raw. Any truth to that?
Thanks, Victor

Old 04-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Yes Victor that is true, cooked tomotoes yield more lycopene the active ingredient. I eat both raw and cooked.

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
Vagabond48 (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
(male)

nicmar HB User

You sound pretty normal compared to me as we all have varying complications. I initially tried greenlight lazer and the result was not good as my problem reoccurred after about a year. I subsequently did a turp about 3 months ago and was told very little by my physician as what to expect. My urine cleared up in about 3 days after the turp and the catheter was removed. Thought things were great and then begin showing blood.... usually heavy with clots at the end of urination. Off and on for the next 2 weeks, urination would alternate from a couple of days clear to a couple of days light red and sometimes with 2 or 3 clots at the end. After about 2 weeks, all urine flow stopped and I was under a fairly good amount of stress and pain. Had to go to the emergency room as I was completely filled with urine that would not pass even a drip. A catheter was finally installed after a wait of a few hours in the emergency room (wow!!! what a painful and stressful time as I had no idea what was going on or what to expect.) Finally after installation, release came quickly with urine flow coming rapidly and filled with several blood clots. For the following 2 weeks, urine was clear to light red followed by 2 or 3 small and sometimes large clots. Doc's nurse said watch it and if urine flow stops again, go to the emergency room and get a new catheter. After a month, I began to wonder if something was wrong and I would need more surgical attention. About six or seven weeks after the operation, all went clear and I was and have been fine. Some of us heal more rapidly than others, but most always results turn out fine as I found through research. The turp was extremely successful as I now have good urine flow. One thing one will notice is after turp, there is no semen ejaculation as semen backflows into the bladder and is subsequently released through urination..... no more kids for those who have had a turp procedure. Found this out from the internet and not from my surgeon. What I have concluded from all of this is that a great deal of worry and concern because of healing delays, bleeding, clots and possible catheter reinsertion could be totally avoided if the surgeon or his cohorts would have taken 2 minutes of their precious time to inform their patients of what they might or might not expect. Nah!!!! they figure we'll blunder along and we'll subsequently figure it out. And of course...... what if I still wanted to father children? Whoops!!! too late. Btw, my turp worked great after things finally settled. No more tiny streams and sometimes spraying all over the john. No more trips to the bath room every 2 hours and I can finally stand and urinate without having to sit on the stool. The stream is quick, full and fine and the bladder empties well. Soooooooo!!!! Well worth going through, yet there were many problems caused by the lack of information given by the physician. Shame on him as what I experienced was just normal for many. Still with all their blundering lack of properly informing, I would do it again.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
(male)

albedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB User

It is now 2-5 months after my (bipolar) TURP and I reported elsewhere quite in details my experience hence not repeated here.

@nicmar. I also had retrograde ejaculation. I read somewhere doctor can still collect sperm in the urine if you want to father.

@vagabond48. Everything looks normal to me. However, I would pay a little attention even at 4 weeks with (heavy) weight lifting. Take a lot of care now that you can. In my case urine cleared at 4 weeks. Remember even 1% blood makes it impressive.

@lenvegas. I agree and using lycopene and the (LEF) prostate formula. I try to lower my body inflammation with diet.

Based on my experience I can definitively recommend TURP (bipolar to reduce bleeding). Also read lot of scientific literature prior to it. However, I need to check for a final verdict:

1. will I definitively solve my post void problem which triggered the surgery (at 4 weeks, only 50% success)
2. will I do a stenosis at 12-24 months?
3. will I need a new procedure in say 10 years?

I have a new control by end of the month.

You did not comment so far on the histology results, one of the advantage of having TURP in the first place, say vs laser. In my case they found a (low grade) PIN (when low grade, sometime not even reported), some AAH (Atypical Adenomatous Hyperplasia) and trivial inflammation which I am focusing on.

Any comment in your case? How they communicated to you the histology results?

Last edited by albedo1; 04-06-2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
(male)

Vagabond48 HB User

@nicmar thanks for the encouraging words. I, at least to date, have not experienced any serious clotting, only a few minor ones. Mind you I'm drinking two litres of water constantly and sitting on the toilet every 45 minutes. You're right about the lack of info coming from the doctor. Wish I had read up on it more via sites like this, but then I may have backed off the surgery had I done so. I don't regret doing it yet, but time will tell. I know my surgeon is the head of urology and is a teaching professor, so he's a pretty busy guy. His colleague whom I saw initially, however has been great and took the time to call me back.
@albed01: Thanks for the cautionary advice about heavy lifting. I will have to be careful. Not sure if I had the bipolar or standard TURP, although I believe the post op rinsing that occurred was saline. No histology results yet, in fact, he didn't even mention anything about histology. I will ask when I see him next on April 30th.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
(male)

albedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond48 View Post
....Not sure if I had the bipolar or standard TURP, although I believe the post op rinsing that occurred was saline. No histology results yet, in fact, he didn't even mention anything about histology. I will ask when I see him next on April 30th.
If a saline was used during the surgery it was maybe bipolar, the saline lessening the risk of TUR syndrome. I was told nothing about histology after my TURP too and that usually takes time. The urologist looks at tissue and typically is able to recognize something bad. But final word is with the histology report. I would not be too worried.

The Following User Says Thank You to albedo1 For This Useful Post:
Vagabond48 (04-06-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
(male)

Big James58 HB User

I had a turp about four weeks ago and I still have problems.
I have good flow and bowel movements the problem I have is that it feels like I have a stone or something at the end of my penis is this normal? I go back and see my Doctor in a few weeks but he seems like he does not care what should I do?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
(male)

Vagabond48 HB User

Hello James, you had your turp around the same time as I did. I don't have the sensation of a stone at the end of my penis but it does feel like a slight burning towards the end of urination. Someone else previously had described it "as though a string was being drawn through your urethra" which is pretty much the sensation I still have. I've reduced my wter intake since the first two weeks of post-op, so I will again start increasing how much water I take in to see if that makes any difference. Will visit doctor on April 30th and get his take on this. I think it's pretty normal to feel the burning for quite some time but seems there's a fair bit of variance with turp.

Hope all goes well with you....Victor

Old 04-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
(male)

Big James58 HB User

Thanks for the info. Victor I thought I was the only one having this kind of feelings sometimes I just have the stinging feeling also.
I hope both of us will get over this soon.

James

The Following User Says Thank You to Big James58 For This Useful Post:
Vagabond48 (04-24-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
(male)

bushwacker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big James58 View Post
I have good flow and bowel movements the problem I have is that it feels like I have a stone or something at the end of my penis is this normal? I go back and see my Doctor in a few weeks but he seems like he does not care what should I do?
I had a turp 4 days ago. 1st day after surgery catheter was removed and went home. Very strong flow & minimal burning sensation & blood in urine that stopped by the end of the 1st day. No pain or bladder spasms. Urination that usually took minutes to complete now takes less time than it takes to type this sentence. No constipation; I didn't take the pills for that but I eat a large handful of walnuts each evening that has always taken care of business. 2nd to 4th day frequency seems to settle down then ramps up depending upon my activity. Frequency at night has not changed much from before the turp. That's a disappointment, but I guess I'm being impatient. So far I feel the change is for the better; we'll see as time passes. The follow up with the urologist is next month.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
(male)

bushwacker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big James58 View Post

Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
(male)

bushwacker HB User

If you have a feeling of stones at end of penis I would not wait for the appointment in a few weeks. I would insist on seeing someone asap. I had a turp 4 days ago. 1st day after surgery went home, no pain or bladder spasms. Very strong flow with minimal burning sensation & blood in urine that ceased by evening time. Urination that took minutes to complete now takes less time than it takes to type this sentence. Day 2 to 4 no changes. Frequency varies in the day depending upon my activity. No change in the night frequency is a disappointment, but I guess I have to be more patient. Overall I presently see the outcome as a positive. I have a follow up with the urologist next month.

Last edited by bushwacker; 06-14-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: newbie, don't know what happened to my reply but it disappeared and I cannot find anyway in the edit where the erroneous posting can be deleted

Reply Reply