It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #1

MGM HB User
? about tanning beds & psoriasis

Hello all,

I have a question for those of you who use tanning beds to help cure breakouts of psoriasis... how long did you have to get in the tanning bed before you noticed improvement??

I have been using one for about 2 weeks and I have noticed that the places on my skin are turning very white and scaly. Any input is appreciated.

MGM

Old 12-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #2

quietly_serene HB User
Re: ? about tanning beds & psoriasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM
Hello all,

I have a question for those of you who use tanning beds to help cure breakouts of psoriasis... how long did you have to get in the tanning bed before you noticed improvement??

I have been using one for about 2 weeks and I have noticed that the places on my skin are turning very white and scaly. Any input is appreciated.

MGM
Aren't your psoriasis patches white and scaly? (Mine are.) Tanning does make the skin more dry than it would usually be, so these could just be extreme dry skin.

Please don't use a tanning bed to help psoriasis. They really aren't meant for that and you'll get very very tan before you see significant improvement. (Of course, there are people out there that swear by them. It's just that I've met several people who have tried and it didn't work, and they were sorry they spent the money and the time. As with anything else, your mileage may vary.) Consider instead a UV treatment you can get at your doctor's office. Insurance usually covers these and they're much gentler on the skin. You won't tan, though, althought your skin may get a bit drier. I've been going for about a year and I can say that my psoriasis has significantly improved. I'm not using any steroids any more either. Just a good cream to keep my patches moist so they don't crack. These also make tar shampoos and other tar products work great!

I know, I've not answered your question, please forgive me.

~serena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM
Hello all,

MGM
I use a tanning bed when nothing else seems to work. Usually I will get red spots that don't seem to go away. The derm has given me Dovonex and various steroid creams to use. When these don't work, I will use a tanning bed a few times. The derm doesn't recommend it, but it seems to work. I find that after tanning, my red spots will sometimes itch and turn white and scaley for a few days. Sometimes they turn redder like a sunburn. Then they usually fade. I hope it works for you. Don't overdo it-it really isn't the best thing for your skin.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:00 PM   #4

MGM HB User

Thanks for the replies. Although I fully understand that tanning beds are obviously not "good" for my skin, I have no other alternative at this point. I have been to 2 dermatologists as well as a medical doctor and all three of them have recommended this. I have tried numerous creams, shampoos, ointments etc.. and NOTHING helps.

Some of my patches (which are very small, about the size of a quarter or smaller) are white and scaly most of them are just very red and peeling. I would not wish this on my worst enemy, it's awful. I am seeing some improvement from the tanning bed but I think it's just going to take a while for things to really clear up. At any rate, thanks for the input.

MGM

Old 12-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User

I had psoriasis for years. My sister-in-law talked me into going once and I liked it so I continued to go. At that time I was going because I wanted a tan. I'm very fair skinned. But to my surprise my psoriasis started clearing up. Not all, but the majority of it. Then I stopped going for awhile and it started to come back again plus I still had what was leftover from before. So I went back to the tanning beds and this time it cleared everything up. I am now psoriasis-free and have been for about 1-1/2 years. Whenever I start to see a flare-up I will go back a few times and get it cleared up. (But that's been awhile now) I told my dermatologist about it once and he was surprised because (he said) those aren't the right kind of rays. Hey! As long as it works I'm going. Good luck with yours. If you decide to try the tanning beds I hope it works.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #6
Inactive

Ashizzle HB User

I know this is a little off of the subject but I've had ringworm for awhile now and the medicine made it go temporarily but it came back. They put me on more and I've also been using Blue Star Ointment and Selsun Blue and its almost gone again, but do you think tanning would help dry the ringworm out, or would it just irritate it more?
Responses greatly appreciated
Thanks

Closed Thread