It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2004, 01:12 PM   #1

IvyAmerica HB User
Psoriasis Help Please

Hi,
I have a mild case of psoriasis. It's about the size of a quater in three places on my upper butt. Not a bad place to have it, mind you. It does get painful at times, raw, chapped....I have tired Elocon and Tetamethasone Dipropionate creams. Neither work very well. I am at a loss on what to try next. I have tried aloe plant.That didn't work either. Any help would be great. I hate having it. Looks like a burn. I hope it doesn't get any worse but if time is any indication...it will!!. God, I am fat, bald, old, and have skin problems. What next?.....
P.

Old 01-02-2004, 07:23 AM   #2

IvyAmerica HB User
Re: Psoriasis Help Please

Yes your right..I do have it pretty good. My life is ok. My life is really ok with the celexa I take. Helps with the menopause thing. I know many people are much worse off than me and I really feel sorry for them. Maybe I shouldn't have posted such a small thing. Just thought maybe someone has tried something I haven't. I am always open to new things. Keeps my mind alive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 02:25 AM   #3

crittercat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyAmerica
Yes your right..I do have it pretty good. My life is ok. My life is really ok with the celexa I take. Helps with the menopause thing. I know many people are much worse off than me and I really feel sorry for them. Maybe I shouldn't have posted such a small thing. Just thought maybe someone has tried something I haven't. I am always open to new things. Keeps my mind alive.
Your problem is a big thing, believe me, because I have the same thing and it does spread. I understand completely what you are going through because my two or three spots spread to about a million spots in about a year. It is much easier for you to treat it now. Here are some things that seem to help.

-clobetosol proponate is a steroid ointment that works really well, especially with dovonex, which is also an ointment, but it is vitamin d cream.

-check the side effects of celexa to make sure skin break outs is not one of the side effects.

tons of cream to keep the skin moist. I use Eucerine cream, hemp body butter from The Body Shop and Rosemary-Mint Body Butter from Trader joes. You will want more than lotion, use heavy cream, especially right out of the shower to trap in the moisture.

You can soak in baths with baby oil also.

Try not to scratch on it to sluff off the skin. You can spread it further by doing that.

Please Please Please work on it now. It is so much harder to deal with it later. Mine has now spread up my back and I can not reach the places that itch like crazy and need lotion anymore. I am putting cream now on a soft back scrubber to reach the spots I can not get to.

I feel for you, believe me!

Old 01-25-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
Inactive

love_him HB User
Please Help. Only 17

Hi,

Well i'm 17 years old and i havent been diagnosed with psoriasis but im pretty darn sure i have it. my mother says i do. i get the dry light red patches of skin as well. right now i have them on the back of my arm from my elbow up in various places. theres about 4 small patches. i had one on my forehead once but then it dissapeared. should i see a doctor about this??

also, i havent been to a doctor in a while. i never really go. i have so many problems tho. psoriasis, panick problems here and there, yeast infections, bowel problems, stomach problems (ulcer), its crazyness. I'm just scared to go and load everything on him at once. please help.

Last edited by love_him; 01-25-2004 at 06:45 AM.

Old 03-29-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

marykay HB User

Hi hope this will help, I found that Desitin the baby cream helps psoriasis, hope it works for you.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:09 PM   #6

kittty HB User

There is a Psoriasin Gel (topical gel) for psoriasis patches on parts of the body. But you should go to a doctor to make sure you don't have something serious. Even with everything else. If you decide to get the gel make sure you read the all of the directions and warnings fully! You can get it over the counter at Wal-mart.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #7

kittty HB User

Ps. If it works for you please spead the word. You're not alone, lots of people get this. I had it and now it's gone!

Last edited by kittty; 04-02-2004 at 02:20 PM.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:29 PM   #8

kittty HB User

Someone else's suggestion might work too.

Last edited by kittty; 04-02-2004 at 02:37 PM.

Old 04-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #9

Cassius HB User

Hi...

Know the feeling mate, I too am am ageing with scabs! I have psoriasis all over my body, and guess what - it just gets worse.

P.S. The best advice i can offer is to buy a good hoover

Old 04-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #10
Inactive

Karla HB User

My husband suffers from this. He has tried all sorts of creams, oils, ointments etc and nothing really works for him long term. Just short term fixes. He has it on his face and scalp really bad. Some days he goes nuts with the itching. It is not a little deal. I would see a dr about it. The dr suggested weight loss might help get rid of it. My husband has lost aprox 45 pounds and has noticed no difference.

Last edited by Karla; 04-06-2004 at 03:06 PM.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:11 PM   #11

Ciela372 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Psoriasis Help Please

Hi. I have had psoriasis for 2 and a half years now. I got it when I was 7 months pregnant with my daughter. I went to a derm and he diagnosed it as contact dermatitis, prescribed a med that didn't work so I haven't gone back. The P started on my hands and is now on my feet and a small part of my leg. It was hard for me to wash dishes or take a shower because the shampoo and soap would sting. I found a way to work around it though. Now I wear latex gloves to do anything that involves soaps, detergents, etc. I haven't found a way to deal with my feet though. It hurts so much to even walk. When I got a small cut on my leg I noticed a week later that the P had started around it. To answer your question, I have noticed that cortisone will work temporarily. That is what I have been using as well as some green tea lotion.

Last edited by Ciela372; 05-08-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Old 05-09-2004, 11:31 AM   #12

Flutegirl7 HB User

Ciela, I have eczema on my hands and feet. I also haven't found a way to deal with my feet. It seems as soon as they are trying to heal and show improvement, a busy day on my feet will reverse all that progress. It's so frustrating!

Old 05-09-2004, 12:15 PM   #13

falcon101 HB User

Several members of my family have this condition in various stages and places even on the face. Protopic and Elidel have both worked very well and haven't had any side effects on the 2 year old or the 76 year old. Both are prescription creams and are fairly expensive but worth it. Talk to your doctor about them and ask for free samples to try before you buy.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:28 AM   #14
(female)

commentzing HB User

hi there all ... i can certainly relate!!!! i have had psoriasis since my early teen and am now im my 30's. it is a very stubborn disorder , i m taking neotigason tablets which is a vit a derivative and get ultraviolet therapy 2 to 3 times a week.
with creams i stopped using cortisone based creams years ago as i dont believe they are good for the skin and flareups become worse.
i do however use Daivonex which is fairly safe and very successful , if only the clear up would last long but with psoriasis we shed skin every 4 days i think.
i get it on my face too and i try and hide it best with makeup but it can get very upsetting. just hang in there is all i can say coz medicine is going forward in leaps and bounds and lets hope they find a cure!!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 04:06 PM   #15
(male)

FoolsGold HB User

I believe the current viewpoint is that psoriasis is merely a surface manifestation of some underlying systemic fungal infection, so I doubt any skin creams are ever going to be of much use.

Closed Thread