It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #1
(female)

Jaber HB User
scalp psoriasis

I have pretty bad scalp psoriasis this winter, and have a couple months to wait to get into my dermatologist because she's so booked! Does anyone else have it and have any natural solutions to treat it?

Old 01-26-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
(female)

Vivian HB User
Re: scalp psoriasis

My teenage daughter had the same problem a few years ago. The doctor recommended Head and Shoulder Dry Scalp. It worked perfectly. Give it a try if it is still around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 02:14 PM   #3

pleaseassistme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian
My teenage daughter had the same problem a few years ago. The doctor recommended Head and Shoulder Dry Scalp. It worked perfectly. Give it a try if it is still around.
I'm also in my teens, have the same problem, mydoctor reccomeded selsun blue and head & shoulders shampoos neither had any posative effects at all, i'm stuck with really itchy scalp

Old 01-26-2004, 04:34 PM   #4
(female)

Vivian HB User

We also used a very fine comb (like for a baby) and combed her scalp every day before shampooing. It seemed to loosen the patches of itchy spots. It did take a few months. Good Luck!!

Old 01-28-2004, 11:48 PM   #5

crittercat HB User

Try not to scratch on the patches or scratch the patches off. That can make it even worse. Neutragena T-Gel shampoo is good. If you use T-Sal it will help loosen the flakes for you, you do not want to scratch or comb hard on her scalp to clear it.

If you go the medicine route, Clobetosol works really well. It is a perscription though, so it takes going to the doctor. Good luck! I hate scalp psoriasis, especially since I love wearing black clothes.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:42 PM   #6

hoosierdaddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber
I have pretty bad scalp psoriasis this winter, and have a couple months to wait to get into my dermatologist because she's so booked! Does anyone else have it and have any natural solutions to treat it?
Nizoral. Use Nizoral(shampoo). You can buy it at the grocery store and it works excellent. I use it every morning and a every night. After I get out of the shower I put Jojoba oil on all my problem areas(including my scalp). The oil may make your hair look greasy, but for me its better than having piles of skin falling off of my head all day. Try it, it works.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:36 AM   #7

JoanneB HB User

Hi
I have psoriasis on my scalp, body, eyelids and inside my ears
the best thing I have found for my scalp is old fashioned pure coal tar soap
I purchase this from a "soap factory" in Melbourne Victoria for 75 cents each.
Doesen't smell too good but does stop the itch.
Joanne

Old 03-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

I use Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment. When I am finished washing and rinsing my hair, I pour 2 capfulls of Listerine over my head, rub it into my scalp and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it out.

Old 03-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Nizoral shampoo worked wonders for me. Being in the sunshine a few times a week seems to help as well.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:42 PM   #10

Ally073 HB User

Hi - I also find that tar based shampoos are the go. Also exposure to UV is also good for psoriasis (well - works for me), not always possible I know but maybe go to a solarium or hire a UV lamp for the winter - mine is always at its best when i have been swimming at the beach!! (summer here so my scalp is looking good at present) Anyway - hope this helps - CHEERS!!

Old 03-03-2004, 09:00 AM   #11
Inactive

Karla HB User

My husband has this condition and his dr has been able to provide a couple of perscriptions that at least offer him some temporary relief. I would recomend that you see a dr about this they can help with a stronger medicine than recomending a shampoo to use.

Old 03-04-2004, 05:05 PM   #12

olan HB User

Quote:
I have psoriasis and use topical perscription meds for it with some sucess. You, on the other hand, are looking for natural solutions that work. I won't mention what others have already posted. First, consider moving to a dry area or high attitude location such as Dever or near the sea. The sea seems to help for some reason, either because of the salt air or because of a fresh fish diet.

As far as getting sun, yes it helps, but be very careful not to use a topical oinment while in the sun because the oinment intensifies the sun's rays.

I have been told of diets which help but I have no experience with them so I can not vouch for them.

olan

Last edited by olan; 03-04-2004 at 05:07 PM.

Old 03-12-2004, 07:51 AM   #13

kcoffey25 HB User

Quote:
Have u tried DENOREX medicated shampoo? it works pretty good with psoriasis it contains coal tar & was made to treat psoriasis.

Last edited by kcoffey25; 03-12-2004 at 07:54 AM.

Old 03-28-2004, 08:37 AM   #14
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Unhappy Re: scalp psoriasis

I have had scalp psoriasis for over twenty years. There is nothing you can do to permanently get rid of it, but there are shampoos that help. I have been to two dermatologists, and they both said to use only shampoo that has tar in the ingredients. I have used Neutrogena T/Gel, Polytar and Sebutone Tar Shampoo made by Westwood Squibb. I was also given a RX for Olux foam which you put on your scalp at night and wash out the following morning. It worked fairly well, but it is very expensive and messy.
The worst part is the scaling always returns in a few weeks. I wish someone could come up with someone to control it better.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:58 PM   #15

kittty HB User

I know this has already been said but Nizoral shampoo is good for the scalp and if you have psoriasis any where else on the body you should use Psoriasin Gel (topical gel). I had it and now it's gone. You can get the gel at Wal-mart. But please read all the directions and warnings fully! If it works for you please tell others.

Closed Thread