It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 09:13 AM   #1

luvmyboys HB User
eczema or psoriasis? any natural treatments

I have had a patch of skin on both hands that itch intensely at times. I can't stop scratching. It bleeds and sometimes clear stuff comes out. After I make myself stop scratching it, it burns and is really red. Is this eczema or psoriasis? Are there any natural treatments? I really don't want any prescription things with side effects. I had this last winter too and have had it since October this time. It cleared up in the summer. Any advice? Right now I use lubriderm seriously sensitive lotion. Sometimes I use hydrocortisone cream, but it doesn't help much and benedryl of course makes me too tired. Can you use calimine lotion on things like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #2

olan HB User
Re: eczema or psoriasis? any natural treatments

Greetings,

Only you doctor can diagnose this problem; however, you might be having an allergic reaction to dishwashing soap or some other substance you are putting on your hands. There are about 12 types of psoriasis but generally if untreated they become scaly and a whitish color. The scales will come off with scratching and they usually bleed and appear very red. The patch will grow over time if untreated with meds.

It is speculated that psoriasis is caused by the skin not being able to process vitamin D via the sun. That is why sun therapy and Dovenex (vitamin D cream) work well for some people.

YOU need to see a dermatologist and soon. This sound like that it has become infected.

olan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 06:32 PM   #3
(female)

Dbw HB User
Talking Re: eczema or psoriasis? any natural treatments

I have three boys and until recently only the two youngest ones suffered from allergies and eczema was one of them. Recently my 14yo has been getting what appears to be eczema on the back of his legs. Mostly behind his knees. It was interesting that it started when we moved from Australia - New Zealand. I assume it ws the change in climate and surroundings (weather wise) He had also taken up playing Basketball. I have used all sorts of natural creams etc since finding out how bad steroidal treatments are for your health. I am using a product called APIS MELLIFERA SKIN CARE CREAM available here in NZ. I have found this by far the best. My son also uses it on any spots that come up on his face and it works a treat. I have the problem under control and all three boys are now looking great!! They have other products available and I also use their Hair Care Treatment for scalp and facial wash on the boys. It really is great. [removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-07-2004 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Read postin guidelines. Websites are not allowed.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

cupidscat HB User

Try Tea tree oil

Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

Olibu HB User

Well first off id like to say. I have a big problem with Psoriasis. I dont have alot of it, but i have had it all my life. Both sides of my family have it, and i am really getting sick of it. I know that in the summer it clears because of the sun and in the winter it gets thicker and speads. Id also like to let everyone know that the psoriasis on my palms and fingers is different from the psoriasis anywhere else. Yes it looks like small sores/bumps and when you pop them a clear liquid does come out, and it can go on like that for days. That type can also appear on feet as well, Im not sure of anywhere else. Now, i mostly have psoriasis on my scalp which is definitly hard take care of considering the massive amount of bleach i put in my hair, but i know that the sun may be bad for most peoples skin. but it helps our. Clears us up, just like acne. At this point it is winter and i do refuse to put any of that special shampoo in may hair because or the texture or smell. I use Georges special dry skin cream (squeeze container)after my daily shower everywhere else there is psoriasis. It is a white lotion bottle with blue on it and there is an animated doctor on the front. I am also going to start going to a tanning bed after my surgury is done with. I'll definitly check in and let you know the results. ♣Steph♣

Also i was wondering about scalp teatments if anoyone has any, prefferably-non greasy and non-smelly please n thanx.

Last edited by Olibu; 01-09-2005 at 01:49 PM.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #6
(female)

drginnypig HB User
Unhappy Re: eczema or psoriasis? any natural treatments

Dear DBW,
I don't know if you've happen along my previous posts?Boards skin problems:
I just read yours and after everything i've been through, I'm seriously considering moving back to Las Vegas. Home to me for 25 years.
Yes, I do believe that "Climate" change has very much to do with sudden skin disorders.

I have always been blessed with perfect skin. I can count on one hand how many pimples i've had in my 40 + years of life.

I moved to the Oregon coast (I live ON THE BEACH) and within three months i began getting rashes. within 5 months of moving here numorus parts of my
body have become consumed with "Itchy red hives". they're all on the same time cycle of about two weeks on & off (but never fully going away)
they go from mild to severe to mild...and so it goes and 12 month's later...nine doctors later...many tests for this & that...many blood works...many x rays... many antibioctics, creams, thousands of dollars and... I STILL SUFFER!

I am seeing another Dermatologist this wednesday.
He's suppost to be very good. Hummm...will see.

I've decitted that no matter what happens with this doc, I'm getting the heck out of here. no more cold, wet, moldy sea air for me.
I'm not taking anymore chances and moving where my skin was healthy seems like the obvious choice.
I love the beach, BUT, not this much!
I can't deal with my skin disorder anymore.
It's gotton so bad that I actually need to get counseling.

I'll be posting a follow up reply after the visit to this other dermatolist

Old 01-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #7

Terihe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olibu
Well first off id like to say. I have a big problem with Psoriasis. I dont have alot of it, but i have had it all my life. Both sides of my family have it, and i am really getting sick of it. I know that in the summer it clears because of the sun and in the winter it gets thicker and speads. Id also like to let everyone know that the psoriasis on my palms and fingers is different from the psoriasis anywhere else. Yes it looks like small sores/bumps and when you pop them a clear liquid does come out, and it can go on like that for days. That type can also appear on feet as well, Im not sure of anywhere else. Now, i mostly have psoriasis on my scalp which is definitly hard take care of considering the massive amount of bleach i put in my hair, but i know that the sun may be bad for most peoples skin. but it helps our. Clears us up, just like acne. At this point it is winter and i do refuse to put any of that special shampoo in may hair because or the texture or smell. I use Georges special dry skin cream (squeeze container)after my daily shower everywhere else there is psoriasis. It is a white lotion bottle with blue on it and there is an animated doctor on the front. I am also going to start going to a tanning bed after my surgury is done with. I'll definitly check in and let you know the results. ♣Steph♣

Also i was wondering about scalp teatments if anoyone has any, prefferably-non greasy and non-smelly please n thanx.
Try neutrogena t-sal shampoo. It has 3% salacylic acid in it which helps to exfoliate the dead skin cells. Usually a treatment which is tried for psoriasis. My mother has this and she uses a shampoo with salacylic and it really helps her. I think they have conditioner too.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
(female)

flutternut HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyboys
I have had a patch of skin on both hands that itch intensely at times. I can't stop scratching. It bleeds and sometimes clear stuff comes out. After I make myself stop scratching it, it burns and is really red. ...I had this last winter too and have had it since October this time. It cleared up in the summer...
OH MY GOSH!!! This sounds EXACTLY like me about 5 yrs ago. Prior to working at Tim Horton's my hands were fine...once I started working though I was continually washing my hands and that's when I noticed my hands getting really bad. They were scaly, would peel, and were raw. Most hand lotions stung and just made it worst. Cold also makes it worse (I usually wear mitts 7months of the year!) and I thought I would never find anything to help me. I went to the doctor's numerous times, got many prescriptions and never found anything that worked.

Just to show you how much improvement I've had in the last few years since I got married...at my wedding shower all the girls had to stand in a line with their hands up. My hubby went down the line, eyes closed, and felt all the girls hands. When he got to me, he picked me out in a second. Why? Because of the peeling raw skin between my fingers.

My hubby encouraged me to go to the doctors again, and I'm glad I did. All along a cream has been available to me. Its called Glaxal Base, lanolin and fragrance free. I buy mine from Costo in 450g tubs for $15 (I'm in Canada). You can buy smaller amounts to try out and see how it goes from Safeway and Shoppers. My doctor also gave me a medicated cream for when it gets bad, but it doesn't compare to before!

The moment I put the cream on...there is no stinging, no burning, and I don't feel self conscious about people seeing my hands or touching them. They used to be bright red before YUCK.

I hope it all works out for you. The worst you can do is spend $10 on the Glaxal Base and it doesn't work. Let me know how things turn out.

flutternut

Closed Thread