It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2002, 12:03 PM   #1

jubug HB User
Post Arthritis caused by Psoriasis

I suffer from psoriasis and have developed the arthritis that is associated with it in the joints of my hands. I believe it is called psoratic arthritis. I am looking for anyone who has the same and what they do to help the discomfort. I try not to take arthritis medication I have for it because it is hard on the stomach. I am looking for ideas on what foods may trigger it.

Old 09-12-2002, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
It's not often you come across a person with psoriatic arthritis. I have been dealing with psoriatic arthritis for about 19 years. At first it was only in one knee then one day I fell on a curb and I believe that fall really triggered things and it just spread like wildfire. I have it in my feet, knees, elbows, hands and wrists. At one time it was so bad that I could barely get out of bed. My rheumatologist put me on methotrexate and it worked wonders. Although it slowed the progress down my joints continue to get worse. I've had surgery on my knee and my thumb. I wish I could give you some advice as to what you could to help with the discomfort. I've just learned to deal it. I do have one of those wax therapy contraptions which makes my hands and/or feet feel really good. I don't know of any food triggers. The only thing that flares mine up is if I overuse the joint(s). Good luck with any meds, therapies, etc. I know how you feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2002, 01:03 AM   #3

soulsister75 HB User
Hi!

My dad has psoriatic arthritis. His arthritic symptoms stopped after 4 years of gold injections; during that time his other wrist had to be operated though.

Now he still has psoriasis as he lives in Lapland where there's hardly any sunlight during the winter and summers are usually quite short. He used to take holidays in Southern Europe to help his skin problems.

I think I have psoriatic arthritis too although i was diagnosed with RA as I didn't have any skin symptoms back then. later on however i've clearly had psoriasis in my elbows but have been able to take care of it with lotion. we'll see. as for my arthritis i haven't yet found a med that would work. MTX helped for a while but couldn't hold back a new attack. i'm still looking for a solution myself too.

Maybe gold injections might be worth trying, if you can't take any oral medication for the arthritis? i tried gold but it didn't help me (although i guess you should take it for a longer time, i only did for 1,5 years)

Wishing you all the best,

Anu

Old 09-16-2002, 10:58 AM   #4

jubug HB User
Thanks for the reply. it is nice to know that I am not alone. It is hard to find people who have simmilar conditions.
I know that I do have food that triggers psoriasis. I love oatmeal, but too many days of it and I get severe flareups.
I guess that everyone has different symptoms.
Thanks dawnrise for telling me other joints that could be effected. I never thought about the knees, I too have a sore knee, but the doctors just said it was rough knee caps, I'll have to look into that.
And soulsister75, I've never heard of gold injections. I can understand the problem with lack of sunlight, no one with psoriasis does well in the winter.
Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2002, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
jubug...you didn't mention how bad your psoriasis is/was. Just wondering what you've done, are doing or
meds you're taking to help with it. I have tried numerous things in the past with no real improvement. I started going to a tanning salon and it cleared up completely. It's been in remission now for about 1-1/2 years. And yes, winters were always worse. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-19-2002, 06:35 PM   #6

Frogsmouth HB User
Thumbs up

Dawnrise, I have a friend and she was severly arthritic and her body was covered in sores.The meds made her really ill and they have bad liver side effects. She too was directed by her doctor to tann at a salon or on the beach a few times a week she is clear right now and back to work . who would have known . I hope this information helps alot of people

Old 09-26-2002, 10:30 AM   #7

jubug HB User
Mt psorasis on my skin has been a constant war, but I do not have it that bad. I combat some with diprosalic(hope I spelt it right) lotion and watch what shampoo I use. My nails are affected on 4 fingers, and I stay away from nail polish. My arthritis is the worse in my hands, but I do knit to help keep my joints flexible, and watch my diet as well.
I guess that I try trial and error.

Old 10-07-2002, 02:53 AM   #8

JillT HB User
Jubug - I have been suffering with Psoriatic Arthritis for about 14 years now and yes it is getting progressively worse. One of the things that I have found helps is to reduce the amount of dairy products that I eat. Other foods that can affect you are: Tomatoes, Eggplant and Potatoes as they are all part of the deadlynightshade family. But really it is a case of trial and error to find things that help you. Hope you are coping - personally if I could only get rid of the incessant pain even for a few days that would be a great help.
With best wishes.

Old 10-09-2002, 05:44 AM   #9

jubug HB User
JiilT,
Thanks for the information. I too know that the nightshade vegetables are really hard for arthritis sufferers. Tomatoes trigger pain in my hands when I eat too many, and that is usually in the summer when they are fresh, because that is the only time I really eat them.
I don't eat much dairy because I find that it bothers my psoriasis. My weekness is only cheese, and that I have rarely.
I too wish that you could get rid of the pain. This summer I had pain daily, so I took out my knitting needles and knit dishclothes because they were easy and light to hold. It did help ease the pain, as I kept my hands moving.
Thanks again, it is great to hear from others with psoratic arthritis.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:58 AM   #10

sukers HB User
Thumbs up

Hi! I just found the Health Board tonight & am so happy to see there is a place to go to read about the concerns of others! This is directed to all, specifically Jugbug, I have Psoriatic arthritis and have had it for over 40 years. I have a very severe case and have been homebound and even wheelchair bound for many years. It prevented me from holding and caring for my last,and third child, 30 years ago. It stopped me from my life's work, Nursing, and prevented me from doing just about everything, including getting out of a chair by myself, cutting up even a pancake, etc. by myself. I have taken every drug that was available, Nsaids, gold shots, methotrexate for 5 yrs, pennicillamine, cortisone, and more. I've had lots of serious side effects but had to keep trying! Finally, in March of 1999, my Rheumatologist started me on a brand new drug, Enbrel, which is an injection (painless!) you self administer, twice a week. It has worked miracles in my life!!! I can do almost everything again. This drug stops the disease. And stops most all of the pain!! It cannot undo the physical damage that has been done, i.e. my fingers and other joints will always be very deformed and crooked, but the pain and the actual disease process has been halted. I've been lucky, NO side effects in 3 & 1/2 years. If this fails to work someday, there is another great drug, in tablet form, taken once every eight weeks, I think, called Remicade. There is much hope for Psoriatic and Rheumatoid arthritis today and I tell everyone not to fear getting it nowdays. (Incidentally, Psoratic arthritis is a sister of rheumatoid arthritis they're so closely related.) The worst is over for all of us! I thank God every minute of everyday that I feel better and help came in my lifetime. Call your Rheumatologist today, insist on trying this medicine, it may change your life like it's changed mine. We have to take control of our own lives and our healthcare.

------------------
Suzy H.

Old 11-08-2002, 02:32 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
Sukers...I was excited to hear that there's another med out there for psoriatic arthritis and especially that you're doing so much better. That is great news. I've been dealing w/psoriatic arthritis for about 20 years. My rheumatologist has tried a couple diff. meds over the years but he never went out of his way to really help me. Methotrexate slowed it down a lot but was changed to Imuran because I thought the meth was causing me to lose my hair. (I think it's hormonal at this time) Anyway, last 2-3 visits (had to go every 16 weeks) I've asked him if there was anything he could do for the pain. No, only cortisone shots. I've tried those and they don't last long enough for me to pay that kind of money. I had a deformed thumb and asked him if anything could be done (it looked horrible and it embarrassed me) and what was his reply...."no." Well, guess what I found a hand surgeon who could fix it as best as it could be fixed and it looks a lot better. Can anything be done about my tiredness ...
"no, just something you have to deal with." Every time I asked him if there was something that could help me he told me "no." So for 5 minutes a visit we go through the same ole routine (checking joints, etc) and writing any regular scrips I need and sends me off. And charges $75. Thank goodness for insurance. Well, finally got fed up cuz I knew in my heart that there had to be something else out there so I had my family doctor refer me to a bigger city rheumatologist. It's not for another couple months but I'm not giving this doctor any more of my money. So you have given me hope.

Old 11-08-2002, 02:59 PM   #12

sukers HB User
Dear Dawnrise, First of all I'm thrilled you've regained some hope, which is of the utmost importance in living with arthritis! And secondly, congratulations on changing Rheumatologists! It didn't sound as if you were getting anything positive from your old doc. A suggestion for dealing with your new Dr. would be to start off by sharing with him what happened with your old doc and how awful he made you feel when he dismissed your symptoms as if there were no hope in dealing with them. Let him know what your expectations of him will be and how you hope to work as a "TEAM." He or she will be able to tell you about these new, very helpful meds. and you'll be on your way to a new start!
As for the pain. My family Dr. and my Rheumatologist talked together and then reccommended me to a Pain clinic nearby. This has been so wonderful, I have other things wrong with me too and my pain is treated well. They look at the total person & whatever you may have wrong with you. There are many avenues of help for all of us, we just need to become aware of what's out there and take advantage of them. I wish you luck with your new adventure and with your health. Please keep us posted on how you do with your new Doctor.

Old 11-12-2002, 11:40 AM   #13

jubug HB User
Sukers, Thanks too for the hope of medication. I've only was diagnosed 2 years ago, and so far staying away from or limiting what I eat has helped. I am so happy that you have found relief from the pain. I can only imagine what you have gone thru. Thank you so much for telling us your story, it makes me feel better knowing that there are other people out there with the same problems. Isn't the internet a wonderful advancement for us to reach out to others. Thank you so much.

Old 01-27-2003, 11:12 AM   #14
(female)

Country Girl HB User
Unhappy

I have had this condition for 4 years. The only thing I have been able to take is methotrexate. I was on Vioxx for about a year but it caused blood pressure problems so I had to quit that. I have the middle joint in my middle finger left hand fused due to the arthritis and it isn't fun

Old 01-28-2003, 06:21 PM   #15

janetf HB User
Unhappy

Wow Country girl,
The upper joints in several of my fingers are now swollen with bone spurs. I am waiting for the rheumy to send my Embrel prescription in the mail so I can sent it to my drug plan. I hope this helps me.

Closed Thread